Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 127/127/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Atkins at college

Hey all, I'm new here and I just started Atkins a few days ago. The problem is I'm in college and I have to eat in a dining hall every day where low carb foods aren't always available. Any tips on what I can eat in the dining hall, and also what I can eat in my dorm room when I don't feel like eating in the dining hall for a night? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins start over 7/23/2003
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hey if you look at the forum contents theres a whole section on LCing as a college student/teen. I'm actually just starting right now too. I tried to start once before but that was before I read the book/did research, so this time its for real. Bathing suit season is coming up!!

Anyway to give you some ideas...for breakfast I get an omlet with any of the following: spinach, mushrooms, green peppers, ham and cheese. You can also have bacon and sausage and i hear the atkins syrup is not bad.

For lunch i just head for the salad bar - veggies with grilled chicken or salmon and sprinkle some cheese. There are lots of yummy dressings that are LC, or olive oil is good too.

Dinner can be a bit tricky, but i can get a cheeseburger w/no bun or grilled chicken and cooked veggies....i havent really figured out how to get some variety into dinner since i cant use all the great recipe ideas since i cant cook.

If i want a snack in my dorm room i have a can of tuna and mayo or make my own chicken salad, i have sugar free jello but i hear it can cause stalls so i'm cutting back.

The first time around i made some huge mistakes that you should avoid:
-eating late at night before bed
-eating too many nuts and too much cheese (if you tend to overeat, dont keep large packages of this stuff in your room)
-not planning meals and instead grabbing an LC bar (hidden carbs!)
-not drinking enough water
-eating untill i was full (instead of satisfied) and overeating "legal" foods

This time around I plan to really stick to induction for the two weeks that is recommended, instead of trying to get around it.

Anyway, i hope this is helpful. I see you dont have too much to lose, so I think if you stick to it you can reach your goal!!

Ok, back to my paper
I'm such a procrastinator...at least not using food any more
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 127/127/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks! That was really helpful. I'll head over to the other section. Sorry for the repeat. There are so many categories, it's a bit overwhelming.