Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 16:47

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Some days suck... and other days are like this! :)

Well, today, for the first time since I started this diet, I went shopping for clothes. I guess some people might find that hard to believe, but i've been wearing the same two pairs of jeans, and the same 3 t-shirts for the past 9 months (before I actually started the diet). I finally went to get some new clothes today and I knew I was in for a surprise, but I had NO idea I was in for this big of one

Now, back in May, before I started this diet, I weighed around 370lbs. I bought new clothes just before I went on the diet (which were the clothes I was still wearing up until today). I wore a size 50 jeans, and I could just barely squeeze into a 48, but I wore a 50 because the 48 was so tight. The shirts I wore were XXX-L (Triple). These were the largest shirts I could find anywhere, without going to a speciality store, so thank god I could fit into them. Most XXX-L shirts I got fit me fairly good, some were a bit snug.

So anyways, today I went into the store unsure of what sizes I was going to wear, and I left very happy I took a pair of 44x32 jeans into the dress room, and 3 shirts, one XXX-L and two XX-L. I tried on the XXX-L first and I looked like either a rapper, or one of those dogs with tons of skin (help me out someone). In other words, the shirt was way too baggy on me. But me being the pesimist that I am, I thought (maybe this shirt was just made big). Then I tried on both XX-L Shirts, and I was shocked. Both shirts fit pretty lose, looser than the XXX-L shirts used to fit on me. I tried on a regular X-L shirt after seeing this, but it was just a bit too snug. It fit good though. I bet 15 more lbs and i'll actually be able to wear NORMAL shirt sizes

Anyhoo, moving on to the most important part, the jeans. I left these for last cause I was afraid of trying them on. I honestly thought they were not going to fit. I put them on and went to put the button on.. but something was wrong... it actually went on? without putting 100lbs of pressure on it? Not only this, but the jeans were a bit loose on me, they fit exactly like the 50's used to fit on me (a bit loose, but snug). So I went and got a pair of 42's, and tried em on and they fit nice and snug, a bit tight, but they fit perfect IMO.

So anyways, I ended up leaving with 6 shirts (all XX-L) and two pairs of jeans (one 44x30 and one 42x32). I think it was a great day for me. A lot of people see small changes in their body everyday, but today I got the rare chance to see 7 months worth of change, all at once. I'll tell you, my face was gleaming when I left I think the coolest thing though, is that I can buy normal clothes now. All the jeans stop at 42. Most of the good shirts stop at X-L, which gives me something to shoot at.

Thanks for reading about my boring life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 16:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Hahahaaaaa! You remind me of a guy I work with - last year, he dropped 80 or so pounds (DR recommended diet and lots of excersize, he's kept it off) and he looks fabu. Like a different man. Anyhoo, he just didnt' seem to notice that he'd lost the weight, and for MONTHS was running round in clothes that just hung off him; we thought he'd drop his pants! We kept fussing at him, "Will you PLEASE buy some clothes that FIT?"

Congratulations, the pant-o-meter never lies. And here's hoping it will be time for you to go shopping again for smaller clothes soon!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 17:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneM
Hahahaaaaa! You remind me of a guy I work with - last year, he dropped 80 or so pounds (DR recommended diet and lots of excersize, he's kept it off) and he looks fabu. Like a different man. Anyhoo, he just didnt' seem to notice that he'd lost the weight, and for MONTHS was running round in clothes that just hung off him; we thought he'd drop his pants! We kept fussing at him, "Will you PLEASE buy some clothes that FIT?"

Congratulations, the pant-o-meter never lies. And here's hoping it will be time for you to go shopping again for smaller clothes soon!

haha, it does sound like me..,

the funniest thing of all, is my belt is (was) a size 56. It came with 5 holes in it. Once I got to the last hole, I started punching new holes in it with a knife (spaced like 1 inch apart). Needless to say, it now has 12 holes total. The belt was so long that is goes thru two jeans belt loops, and still sticks out like 6 inches. I looked like karate kid, but at least I wasn't loosing my pants

I got a new belt today, a size 48. NO MORE KARATE KID!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 17:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/165.8/145 Female 5'9 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

My eyes are so milky reading your story!! That's a wonderful thing to hear!

Congrats on the size loss. It's funny that when we lose the weight and have to buy smaller clothes we immediately think that particular item of clothing must be "sized" wrong. It's like we can't just except the fact that we're BIG LOSERS and need to buy smaller sizes!!

My hats off to you my friend! Keep up the good work.

BTW- this story was definately not boring. I found it inspirational and I bet lots of ppl on the forum will too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 16:56

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Congratulations Adam...that is the coolest thing...I am lookign forward to shopping myself sometime soon!! I have to say I lost a bunch of weight and shopped...now I am in the process of re-losing that weight...so I can go shop in my closet soon!!

Keep up the great work!
Talk to you later
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 17:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saweetie
Congratulations Adam...that is the coolest thing...I am lookign forward to shopping myself sometime soon!! I have to say I lost a bunch of weight and shopped...now I am in the process of re-losing that weight...so I can go shop in my closet soon!!

Keep up the great work!
Talk to you later

Thanks for the kind words saweetie. When you do go shopping in your closet it will be a great feeling, you get to see the changes flat out. I am a pesimist. I still have trouble believing i've lost all this weight so far, but things like today, it's really amazing. Be sure to let us know how it works out
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 17:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

Hey man.....your life is anything but boring...!!!!!

That's a great success story.

I'm just like you except on a slightly smaller scale.

I absolutely love the day when my wife and I went shopping for a couple pairs of new jeans and Dockers. (BTW I went from a 46 to a 40 and my wife went from an 18 to a 12!)....

These are good times.

One other thing.

I have some "Before" pics that are actually EMBARASSING! No shirt....GROSS!

When I reach my 225 goal, I'll post the before and afters.

Great work........
Keep it up.....

Bill..........310/268/225.......day 82

Last edited by Bill L : Thu, Jan-29-04 at 17:06.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 18:44

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

awesome, congrats man.. keep up the good work!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:33

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

Congradulations for the new smaller clothes, you storey was definately NOT boring, the more I read about people succeeding the more I know I can do it as well.

Thank you for posting this, I a looking forward to going shopping in the future for new clothes from a regular store.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:40
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I think it was a wonderful story! And you obviously don't have a boring life! You did a great and what a wonderful reward you got. Thanks for sharing it!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

great job!! never feel that your successes are boring--to the rest of us that might be having a bad day, they are motivation!! if you need an extra pick me up post in my journal and i'll be glad to give you that push!!and let me tell you--start a journal on this board--i started one last week and it's one of the best things i've ever done. i love it, and the support from the members is great!

i'll tell you what--i love exercising now and bill phillips is REALLY motivating. he does the mind over before the exercises, and i love it. you might want to take a look--but it sounds like you've pretty much got it goin' on! i'm so happy for you--the small successes are what keeps you going on--CONGRATS!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:45

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

That is sooooooooooo cool!! Isn't it just so fun?? I did the same thing...your clothes are too big, and then you are afraid to try on to small a size (so you don't feel bad), yet you are the smaller size!!! Here's a tip for you from a sister looser, (from a size 22 to a size 6-8) if you go to a second hand store, like Goodwill, you will not only be helping out a great charity, but you can shop your behind off, and not spend your entire bank account!! You will also find out that most of their clothes are in super shape!! I start there when I loose a size because I am not done loosing, so....you can get name brand clothes CHEAP, and the jeans are already broken in!! Congrats on your super weight loss, you are going to hit your goal for sure!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us...you helped me remember that just last weekend (I've had a bad week) I did the same thing....

The biggest difference is that I took my daughter with me and she talked me into buying a pair of weird looking hip huggers. I like the idea of hip huggers, but not these.

Anyway...I did the same thing, was totally shocked that I had come down from a 20 to a 14!!! And I could not only fit into a large shirt, but it was a tad bit too big! Isn't it wonderful? I enjoy the clothes trying on way better than stepping onto the scale! And I'll get to do it again this weekend when I take those weird pants back.

Thank you VERY much for reminding me how exciting that was...not a bit boring at all. And congratulations on your wonderful success with this woe.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Congratulations! I know how good it feels because I had a similar experience last year. I honestly didn't recognize myself in the mirror for a minute!
Keep up the good work...you'll be buying (and wearing with pride) those "normal" sizes in no time!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:57
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

What a lovely story. I have a friend who has a real hard time finding clothes his size. We went out shopping the other week and he couldn't find any clothes that fit him. He's had the same trousers for two years now, poor sweetheart... They're about to fall off, not sizewise but age-wise... I immediately thunk of him reading your wonderful experience. Hope he'll feel the same one day.