Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 07:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160.6/157.3/145
BF:27
Progress: 21%
Unhappy Nervous about end of Induction

Well I am now on day 9 of Induction. I don't know about anyone else, but I am kinda nervous about introducing sugar again AT ALL!

I would like to have a Reward day on the 15th day so was thinking about having a cinnamon donut or something like that. Maybe some pancakes. Are there any shock effects I should know about . I am afraid I might have a sugar overload , haha.

I feel like I am about to be let loose from re-hab and I am alllll on my own in a candy store or something weird like that .

On the same hand, I am strangley afraid that I won't ever feel the desire to eat foods like Bread or Chocolate ever again fearing I will "put on a lb". Is this the beginning of an eating disorder?? HEEEELLPPPP

Kristy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:

Sometimes, I think it is better to try a little of something to get the obsession of it out of your head.

For example...

Went to a home show this weekend, and there were strawberry funnel cakes - boy, did they smell incredible. The more I passed by them, the more obsessed I became. I broke down and bought one, feeling like crap that I did. But, when I took that first bite, it TASTED TERRIBLE! It was so sweet & greasy, it made my teeth hurt, and I threw it away after 2 bites. It was better for me in the long run to get it out of my system, and now I don't have to worry about it anymore. This, of course, will not work for all foods, but handle it the best you can.

Good luck!

--Kirkwood
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 08:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Nervous about end of Induction

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristy73
I am strangley afraid that I won't ever feel the desire to eat foods like Bread or Chocolate ever again fearing I will "put on a lb". Is this the beginning of an eating disorder??

No, Kristy, I would call this an awakening. Why would you want to eat bread or sugar again knowing how it effects you and makes you feel?

I am not sure why you would be reintroducing sugar after induction. You have just 'detoxed' yourself of sugar and gone through 2 weeks ridding it from your system. For LC to work for you it must become a WOL. Using it as a diet to lose a few lbs then returning to your old ways will only ensure you gain back the weight you lost and further mess up your metabolism. Why not treat yourself to something non food related instead? How about a manicure, a new piece of clothing? Anything but food.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 08:15
Registered Member

Nat, I understand about the WOL thing and that if I went back to eating the way I did that I will put the weight on again. But I will eventually up the amount of carbs that I intake to a maintenance level and I think some of that will contain breads etc. I don't think it's completley safe to not have any carbs at all forever is it? I don't want to end up looking like Calista Flockhart after all.

That was the sugar introduction I was talking about.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 08:21
Registered Member

Thanks for that advice kirkwood. I know that is how I feel now. But I haven't given in to temptation. I guess I just think more about how I will feel after and it goes away.

Like I said to Nat though too, I am talking more about introducing regular sugary things back in like Breads etc.

I refuse to live with out these things but I believe I can keep my carbs down enough and have them early enough in the day that I will keep the weight off. I also don't want to show my daughter that eating bread is bad. I would hate for her to be so confused about eating at such a young age. So I don't think I want to take it THAT seriously, but serious to some extent.

Kristy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 08:49

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi

I agree with you, I think that after induction, to do like Atkins say's, slowing introduce carbs back into your diet, like 5 grams at a time until you hit your critical carb level, that won't cause you to gain. I don't think Atkins meant for a person to stay induction for the rest of one's life. You need Berries and some bread without sugar, whole wheat, and other healthly foods. My opinion. I have lost a lot of weight on Atkins a long time ago, and I do think you need to follow the woe's guidelines to not gain back your weight. Shirl
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 09:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Kristy, read the maintenance chapter in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution so you will know what maintenance is like. The reason why sugar and carbs are avoided is because they're addictive - yes ADDICTIVE!

Because it's "food" - and I really don't think it should be classified as such. Other addictive substances are not classified as food - it's not taken as seriously as addiction to alcohol or other drugs. Any food with a "carb bang" is processed by your body as sugar. The more refined it is, the bigger the bang.

It's in everything and almost everybody does it. This however, does not make it right. Just just as seriously, it will set off a cycle of craving, and if not held in check, you'll be right back at square one again.

It's not the fear of putting on weight that should be frightening, it's starting the whole addictive cycle again.

If you can't see this as a WOL, THe Carbohydrate Addicts Diet may be a better choice as a life plan for you.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 09:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristy73
But I will eventually up the amount of carbs that I intake to a maintenance level and I think some of that will contain breads etc. I don't think it's completley safe to not have any carbs at all forever is it?

Yes, adding more carbs is a good idea. And you should be eating carbs now in limited quantitiy. Adding a few more will help deal with the monotony of eating the same foods day in and day out. Which carbs you choose is up to you, but making informed choices is always desirable. I have found, from personal experience, that any amout sugar (in the form of sucrose) is not good (it made me quite ill); fructose I have been ok with in small quantities. I would be very leary of bread, however. Refined grains are the hardest on our bodies in terms of digestion and the Eades point out in Protein Power Lifeplan that the introduction of grain in our diet has been linked to all kinds of diseases and health problems. My boyfriend recently lost 23 lbs with this WOE and had to up his carbs to stop weight loss, he can handle fruit and very startchy veggies, peanuts and beer, but one slice of bread makes him very ill.

It's just my personal opinion, but I think eating less carbs and not eating grains or sugar is the safest and healthiest way to live. I know how much better it makes me feel.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 10:59

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Nat.

Nat, Some people are allergic to whole wheat, since you feel better without it, I wonder if you are allergic to it? Shirl
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 11:21

BF:

The comment was about my boyfriend, Shirl, not me. He is not allergic to it, he has crohn's, an auto immune disease that has been associated with the introduction of grain into our diet. For many years he thought vegetables and fiber were what set off a flare up. Turns out it's grains. There is a diet designed specifically for people with IBS and Crohn's and it is discussed in our "Low Carb Plans" section (It's a Carbohydrate Specific Diet, and it specifically targets, you guessed it, grains).

I feel, after the research that I have done, that grains are something I do not need in my diet, I ate the odd piece of whole wheat toast after "induction" with no ill effects, but to be honest, I do not miss bread, pasta or sugar. I'm healthier, happier and better off without them.

Nat