Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How many here have Diabetes Type 2?
Yes, I have Diabetes Type 2. 12 37.50%
No, I definitely know I don't have Diabetes Type 2 16 50.00%
I don't know because I've never had it checked out. 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:32

Plan: LC (Began 0/0/00)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 0 ft 0in
BF:--/--/--
Progress: 5%
Default How many here have Diabetes?

I'm just curious about how many here on this forum have Diabetes Type 2.

I was diagnosed with it 6 years ago at age 36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:59

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

I think that I am one of the lucky ones who found low carb before diabetes found me!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 18:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Cool I'm "technically" Type II

I was diagnosed in May of 1996, at the age of 22, but you'd never know it now. I went on metformin for a brief period a couple years ago but went off it as it made me quite ill.

Since I've been on this WOL my sugars have been bang on "normal" as I check them periodically (between 4 and 6 mmol/L). I don't consider myself a diabetic at all and know that once the weight is off that I'll be fine and the medical community can take their "diagnosis" and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Nicole
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: My own LC plan
Stats: 303/224/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I was diagnosed with Type II in November, right before my 40th birthday. At the time, my fasting blood glucose was 160. But after eating a high carb meal it would skyrocket.

Since starting LC'ing, my levels are under 120, I'm off meds and drink a cinnamon tea (4 heaping tbl of cinnamon brewed in a quart of boiling water -- let cool, strain off sludge) with meals.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 21:31

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
I thank God I don't have Type II Diabetes yet.

But, my dr. said it is just around the corner for me if I don't get rid of this weight.

I am the perfect set up for it, carb/sugar addict. Thank God I started Atkins.

Remember what he wanted to do with the rest of his life?
He wanted to help the epidemic of what he termed "Diabesity".
Diabetes brought on because of obesity. I know he would have been on the cutting edge, if he were still with us.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/200
BF:
Unhappy

I was diagnosed in April, 2002. I am 42, diabetic, hypothyroid (on Levoxyl). I am a new member and I am just starting Atkins. I hope I get the good results that everyone else seems to be enjoying. Medicine is very expensive with no insurance and I have been avoiding taking the meds but I don't feel too good.
I am told I "make too much money" to qualify for assistance. Hoping for better days ahead......

Last edited by lynnde42 : Sun, Jun-01-03 at 21:56.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 22:16
Registered Member

Plan: My own LC plan
Stats: 303/224/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Lynnde

Welcome!

I see you're from Joisey, too (what exit?)

From what I've read in here, heard from others, and seen for myself in just a short time, glucose levels do go down when you get rid of the carbs. But please take your meds until your md says you don't need them ... Diabetes is mean.

Some drug companies offer a sorta 'scholarship' program, and I think there is a company called "Peoples' Pharmacy" which offers low cost prescription plans to anyone.

Nice to meet you

Robin
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 02:51

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default IGT

I've been screened the last several years, since I had Gestational Diabetes while pregnant with my daughter.

I went in for a fasting and HGBA1C. My fasting had been average high 120's, low 130's. A1C results were 6.3. I was told that 6.6 is Diabetic, so I skimmed really close.

I've got what they call Impaired Glucose Tolerance.

After the normal mourning period, I've gone cold turkey on the sugar - nearly a month now. Exercise, and a proper low-carb diet. I've lost 11 pounds, and 11.25 inches.

Most importantly my fasting blood sugars at now in the low 110's, and all my before and after meal readings are normal too.

I will go back in three months to get my A1C test again. I can't wait to report on how that's changed.

So, I know that I am not Diabetic. With God and CAD I never will be.

Melissa
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:34

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I was diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic last August at age 28. Needless to say, I started Atkins less than a month later and am free of any medications. I think I took only 2 metformin pills- which made me crazy sick- and then my blood sugar levels normalized w/diet alone. The worst part is that my current doc says I have the medical history of someone who has been diabetic for quite a while. I'm betting my last doc never had a clue to test me for it-- even while I was gaining weight on a dietician prescribed AHA/Diabetics diet-- of course it was based on the evil pyramid, but that's all history now. Bring on the fat!!

For those who missed the diabetes wagon, consider yourself very fortunate. Even if I get to my goal weight and maintain my sugar levels, I'll still have to watch my diet (obviously), eyesight and circulation for the rest of my days.

If only there were a time machine...

Nikki
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 17:00

Stats: 230/209/130
BF:
Progress: 21%

Type 2....Fourteen years,
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 11:42

Stats: 435/324/250 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I have been a Type 2 Diabetic for about 12 years but with the help of this WOL I am taking less medication than I have in years . This WOL is great for everyone but is godsend for a Diabetic.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:50

Plan: LC (Began 0/0/00)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 0 ft 0in
BF:--/--/--
Progress: 5%

I appreciate all the comments you all have shared here.

Re: the high cost of meds. I, also, don't have any insurance. I suggest that you go to the following website: www.togetherrx.com and apply for the free card.
This program is made up of a large group of drug companies who offer HUGE discounts on their medications to low-income people who have no insurance. I can get my Glucophage XR for $15.00 a month.

I'm hoping to get off all my meds one day, too. So far my blood sugars have decreased, but they are still not normal. The lowest I can get them down, so far, is 185.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 01:14

Stats: 300/300/200
BF:
Post togetherrx

Hi Ms. TCB!

Thanks for the info on togetherrx. I was going to sign up but it says you have to be a Medicare beneficiary.....my dh is on disability so i guess he would qualify but I'm not and I'm the one who needs the diabetes medicine.

Is this correct?

Thanks for your reply.