Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 16:45

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%
Default just a brag!

I was so psyched working out this a.m. I ran 35 minutes, some of that 10:00 miles, and it felt wonderful. I also did it before the weights, which probably helped it go easier than last time. Not bad for a chubby menopausal gal, eh?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 17:21

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Run Razzle Run!

Go Razzle!

Yay Razzle!

If we get to brag, I've ditched my walking in favor of 20 min of cardio on an elliptical (higher heart rate than walking) and strength training with Pilates in the evening. Almost two weeks now! And I like it!

The turning point for me was reading a post by Nat that 20 minutes was enough cardio. I had a whole new outlook after learning that bit of information. Phew! I was walking for hours before that! The idea of doing any kind of resistance training afterward was overwhelming.

Now if someone would just tell me how many days a week to do this....

Allison
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 20:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Allison, glad to have saved you from excessive cardio

2 or 3 times a week and you'll see the benefit of your cardio workouts. But keep in mind this 20 minutes will do you more benefit if it is high intensity interval training.

Nat

P.S. WTG Raz!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 23:16

BF:

Thanks for the reply, Nat. I'm still a tiny bit confused, though. Is that 2 - 3 times a week for just the cardio or for both?

What I've done so far has been 20 min cardio 6 days a week and 1+ hour strength training 3 - 4 days a week. But I am willing to adjust to whatever is considered optimal. Now that I'm not starving myself on a lowfat, low-cal diet, exercise turns out to be more enjoyable than I thought possible.

I really can't tell you how happy I am since I read about that 20 min. maximum on cardio. I have a whole new lease on life and weight/fat loss!

Allison

Last edited by allisonm : Fri, Feb-22-02 at 23:21.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 08:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Lightbulb HIIT vs. Cardio performed for a longer period of time at moderate intensity

Allison, I pulled a few things together from some of the information I have on hand about HIIT. You can read more about it from the link below - a web search on HIIT will also provide many interesting results

In research, HIIT has been shown to burn adipose tissue more effectively than low-intensity exercise-up to 50% more efficiently. In other words, HIIT speeds up your metabolism and keeps it revved up for some time after your workout. HIIT training burns a greater number of total calories than low-intensity training, and more calories burned equals more fat lost.

The reason low-effort theory of aerobic exercise came about is a study showed low-intensity exercise burns a greater percentage of calories from fat as opposed to carbs; however, when high-intensity exercise is practiced, the research showed the percentage of fuel from carbs is increased, while the amount of fat utilized is greater than or equal to that burned during low-intensity exercise.

Here's why using intervals of high intensity and moderate intensity work so well. The short-duration, high intensity stuff triggers adaptation (muscle gain, enzyme changes, cellular reorganization, lactate tolerance, cardiovascular improvement). You burn fat afterward in order to replace muscle glycogen. The longer duration, lower intensity aerobic activity (breathing deeply but still "conversational") allows you to create an energy demand that burns fat then and there. If you include both types, without overtraining, you're going to lose fat fast

The intensity you've experienced will have you burning a lot of calories for even hours after the workout - something you don't get from long, low intensity aerobics. This kind of interval training contributes greatly to your aerobic performance, and has also been found to improve the neurological pathways your body uses for recruiting muscle fibers.

Three or four HIIT sessions a week should produce significant fat-burning effects. To prevent overtraining, try to incorporate the program on your weight training "off days." Your HIIT program will likely be most effective if performed first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but if you can't do it in the a.m., do it at noon or in the evening.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.html

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 13:50

BF:

Wow! Thanks Nat! Great info. It just keeps getting better and better: the article advocates 15 minutes HIIT and starting out with just 4 minutes!

This scheme suits my temperment much better than low-intensity exercise. I really prefer the idea of pushing it to the limit, easing off, pushing it again, etc., and then being done for the day.

I think if more people knew about this they wouldn't dread exercise so much. This is something you can live with and you don't even have to deal with making breakfast first.

Allison