Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 13:58

Plan: Atkins (2 mo SBD) Atkins!
Stats: 271/225/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Exclamation 35g ~ wk5...anyone have suggestions I'm getting discouraged.

This is my 1st post (4th try), and I'm getting so frustrated!
I need help, advise, suggestions.

Each wk after induction (2wks), I've been adding 5g of 10% veggie carbs, drinking a min. 96z of water per day, and enjoying Hansens diet soda (splenda). I take vitamins c,e,biorutin,Atkins#3,L-glutamine,chromium picolate,flax oil,potassium,cal/mag/zinc!

I lost 13lbs during 2wk induction, moved to OWL added brussel sprouts, and gained 3lbs back. I tossed the brussel sprouts, and went back to lower carb veg like bok choy. My weight has been fluctuating (1-3lbs)

Looking at the large picture I see that 10lbs in one month is excellent!

Now I'm confused about whether to keep increasing carbs, decreasing carbs, or going back to induction. I don't know what to do or what to expect during the next month?
CAN ANYONE PLS GIVE ME SOME ADVISE?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Sindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:21

BF:
Cool Hang in the Sindy ...I guess?

I've been waiting for anyone to respond, and I thought I'd just make a plea for help once again. So sad that there's no one that has anything to say. I was frustrated before I posted my 1st post (took 4 attempts), and now I'm feeling alone on this WOE too.

Sindy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:38

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile Hey

Sorry can't be much help. Try cutting back your carbs(don't increase) & eat early, I usually eat my last meal at 5:30p, it works for me. I know it can be frustrating, it hasn't been long since your post, give 'em some time. Someone will answer.

Last edited by Jaden313 : Fri, Feb-07-03 at 14:47.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:49
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Sindy,

I'm sorry you are feeling bad that no one responded. It looks as though you just posted your question about two hours ago. The forum is most active in the early morning and evening (when people are home from work), so questions posted in the middle of the day often take a while to get a response. The only reason I'm on right now is that I am home semi-sick and therefore I'm posting the web. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here until the evening or tomorrow morning. I didn't see your question until a minute ago.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that many people stall out for a few weeks after induction. It takes your body a while to get used to a new weight. I have been doing this since July and I tend to lose in spurts. My pattern has been to go down to a new low, then gain one to three pounds back, then go down again to another new low, etc. It's frustrating sometimes for me, especially during the periods when I'm gaining the one to three pounds back, but it just seems to be the way my body works and yours may follow the same pattern. If it gets really frustrating for you, you might consider packing your scale away for a few weeks or a month.

As to whether to stay on induction for a whlie or add other foods now, it depends upon how tired you are of the induction foods. Given the amount of weight you loss on induction, you can probably safely add some carbs to your diet and keep on losing (although no matter what you do the loss probably won't be steady), but you don't have to. I personally made the decision that I am in this for the long-term -- I started with almost 200 pounds to lose -- and that I needed more variety in my diet in order to not get bored. I am willing to slow down my weight loss a little to get that variety. I am not in a race as long as I know I am moving in the right direction. However, everyone makes this decision differently and some people have health reasons why they need to lose the weight more quickly.

I'm not sure that is an entirely satisfactory answer to your question, but it is the best I can do. You're right, losing 10 pounds in one month is excellent and the odds are that you won't continue to lose at that rate. After doing this for almost eight months, I am losing at the rate of about seven pounds a month.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 15:07

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I, too, am sorry you feel discouraged. It would help to know what you're eating. I generally feel it's better to add more foods (especially in the form of veggies) than to try to cut back to bare bones. Your body really has to adjust to losing that awesome 10 pounds and will seem to "stall" for at least a week or two. Also, it's not particularly healthy to lose more than 1-2 pounds a week. More than that may indicate loss of muscle as opposed to fat. Just stick to your guns and I'm sure all will turn out fine.

#6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 15:08

BF:
Cool Thanks

Jaden - Thanks for the idea! We do eat dinner/tea later than I'd like, but my husband isn't hungry until somewhere between 6-7pm. We're trying to stay towards the earlier time. Thanks!

Liz175 - Thanks for the details of your success. I really appreciate the help. Your story does tell me bags of information. It makes me feel that my gut instincts were correct. I have to do what I say - Keep my eye on the prize. You really did help by letting me now this fluctuation is more normal than I realized.

I'm doing normal! Woohooooo!
Sindy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 15:19
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Sindy,

I'm glad we were helpful. You might want to check out the Triple Digits Club under the support focus group link below. It's for people with over 100 pounds to lose. You barely make it into the cut-off (lucky you -- at least compared to me!), but you do make it. I have found it a good source of information and support for those of us with a lot to lose.

You also might want to start a journal and check out the journals of some of the people in the Triple Digits Club. You can see that everyone goes through periods of being discouraged and then we start to lose again.