Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/210/180
BF:34/34/22
Progress: 25%
Unhappy Sweating and Atkin's Diet???

I am just starting the Atkin's diet again. I am in my third day of the induction diet, and I was feeling terrible earlier today. Has anyone experienced excessive sweating while on the diet? I was extremely hot at work today and sweating when none of my co-workers were. This only happened for about 2 hours and I am fine again. No, I am not going through menopause (only 35 years old). Thanks.

Suzie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

For the first month or so, I was sweating as if I was in the jungle or something (although Chicago in July is not far from it!!). I chalked it up to an increase in my metabolism that came with the diet.. Since getting into OWL, this has been much less of a problem and things have stabilized although this has still been a much tougher summer than usual for dealing with the heat.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:44

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe I was the only person who experienced sweating. I have been exercising on this diet too, so I did think that maybe my body was adjusting to everything. I do feel great right now though. I haven't wieghed myself, but I think that I have lost quite a bit of weight in these first three days. My clothes fit more loosely now. I am afraid to weigh myself, because the scale seems to discourage me!!! I hope I can stick to this new way of eating because I have a tendency to go back to my old habits. This will be a challenge for me, but I must say that I do feel good now.

Suzie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 19:56

Stats: 227/208/180 Female 5ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Sweating seems to be a common occurrence. I have been on Atkins for 2 months and I was sweating like crazy. It's not bad now but I find the heat really drains me and I still sweat but not like I did. One of the other members referred to it as "Sticky" and didn't know what it was, it was sweat. lol. Just think how much stuff is coming out of those plugged pores!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 00:24

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've read that ketosis is an exothermic reaction, so you'll start to sweat a lot more. Just one of the signs it's working!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:03
Registered Member

Stats: 245/228/180
BF:
Progress: 26%

From days 2-5 I felt terrible. It was almost certainly from carb withdrawl. I did sweat more.

I don't know if you drink, but the way I felt was the way I feel when I have had a lot to drink and wake up in the middle of the night feeling very hot and having a headache.

It was kind of like having a hangover (without nausea) for 4 days.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 10:01

I am in my fourth day now, and I felt horrible this morning after I ate breakfast. Alot of stomach cramping and I felt like I was going to throw up. Is this normal????

Suzie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 20:53

Stats: 227/208/180 Female 5ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Suzie, you must remember your body is actually going through withdrawal symptoms so anything is possible. Make sure you are eating enough. This is vital!!!! If you don't eat enough and take supplements you will feel bad. Remember you should eat 10 or 12 times your body weight in calories and make sure you're getting enough fat and protein. Take supplements as well, they are listed in Dr. A.'s book what you need. Drink lots of water and get lots of rest and try to exercise. Another day or two and you should be back to normal, whatever normal is. Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask questions and read lots of other peoples stuff in this site. Also start a journal and record what you're eating every day. We can look in your journal and help you if we know what you're eating. Don't worry you'll be ok it just takes time to get used to what you're doing. Hope this helps
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 08:23

Unhappy

I am trying to eat enough, but I feel sick right after I eat especially in the morning. I tried to exercise last night, but I don't have enough energy. I went home after that and went straight to bed because I was feeling sick. I am okay this morning, but I felt ill trying to eat this morning. I hope this feeling stops soon because I won't be able to make it through the first two weeks. By the way, I have lost 5 pounds in four days which I think is way too fast, but I am having trouble eating more.

Suzie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 20:14

Plan: Atkins, Protein Power
Stats: 216/200/145
BF:f/a/t
Progress: 23%
Cool You mean it's not just because it's 90+ degrees outside!

Hi,

Actually, my sweat quotient has also gone *way* up since I started Atkins a few weeks ago. I thought maybe it was peri-menopause (though I haven't been having hot flashes lately). But now that you mention it, I've also been sweating faster whenever I'm moving . . . not just exercise but, for example, when I walk my dog in the morning and in the evening, where as I used to do an hour at a brisk clip with no sweat, now I return drenched. If this is due to Atkins, I say, bring it on! This can only be a good thing.

First, you're probably flushing all kinds of toxins out through your pores. This has got to be better for the overall health and glowability of your skin. Second, my doctor (an endocrinologist) once told me that some of the fat we lose while dieting/exercising is actually excreted through our sweat.

So, I guess I'd have to say, don't worry about it unless you're sweating so much that it's really getting in the way of the rest of your life. Instead, think of all the pounds you're sweating away!

ciao! ... heket ...
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 20:25

Plan: Atkins, Protein Power
Stats: 216/200/145
BF:f/a/t
Progress: 23%
Lightbulb Do you have a doctor?

Suzie,

I forgot to ask, do you have a doctor and did you consult with him/her before you started Atkins?

I'm a Type 2 diabetic, so I'm always preoccupied with my blood sugar levels. My withdrawal symptoms didn't kick in until day 3, lasted for another 2-3 days, and then disappeared. My cravings disappeared, my appetite decreased, my blood sugar levels stabilized, and I've been sweating ever since. But I *never* had body cramps or pains. And I've *always* been able to eat the requisite meals.

If your withdrawal symptoms are so bad that you feel ill and you can't eat, I would mention this to a doctor.

Atkins is a great diet, but when your body talks, *always* listen.

Good luck ... heket ...
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 01:07

I am not suffering from stomach cramping and sweating now. I am in the seventh day now, and I have been feeling good for two days now. I think the stomach cramping was my body trying to get used to all the meat, eggs, and cheese. I have been eating more salad now, and I have been feeling pretty good. I went on the website www.fitday.com and entered all of the food that I have been eating for the last two days. I found that my carbs. are right around 20 grams, but my fat intake is approx. 60% whereas my protien intake is approx. 30%. Is this okay? Am I eating too much fat??? I feel fine, but I am not sure if I have lost any more weight since the initial 5 pounds in the first few days (I don't have a scale at home). The total calories I have eaten are less than 2000 calories, so I should lose on that. I guess I will just have to see. I am going to start going to the gym again tomorrow, because I had given that up when I was feeling ill. Thank you all for your responses.

Suzie