Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 23:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/166/154
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Short question on AM Cardio

I have just been browsing "AM Cardio on an Empty Stomach" and have a quick query. I normally get up around 4.30-5.00am, have a couple of decafs with cream, do some work, then do an aerobic workout around 8.00-8.30am. Sometimes I eat before, but usually after - srambled eggs normally - but which is best for me, eating before or after, seeing as I am up for 3 hours or so prior to exercise? Does it affect my glycogen levels? Any advice appreciated.

Carrie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 23:46

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

I am no expert but I always opt to workout on an empty stomach because I feel so much better doing it that way as opposed to eating and then working out a few hours later.

I like to do my workouts first thing or as close to first thing as possible because then I can get showered and ready for the day ahead.

Can't help you on what is actually best for metabolism and fat burning. I just do what feels right for me.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 10:29

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Everything I've read said that working out in the AM on empty stomach gives optimal fat burning. Of course, any studies like that are done with "normal" eaters and not LCers, so for us, I always have to wonder, does it also apply?

If I understand how glycogen is produced, eggs wouldn't help much. You have what is stored in the muscles, it's used quickly (again, if I've figgered this all out right, all this goes more quickly for LCers than others) and you move on to fat burning and ketone use thereafter. I could be totally wrong about all this, so wait for Nat or Dan or someone else to confirm or deny it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 13:21

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
Everything I've read said that working out in the AM on empty stomach gives optimal fat burning. Of course, any studies like that are done with "normal" eaters and not LCers, so for us, I always have to wonder, does it also apply?

I'd imagine that it would work even better for us LCers. We have already depleted our glycogen stores (this happens w/in the first few days of LC) and we burn fat for fuel as a rule.

I would also imagine that eating after would be best for optimal fat burning - but I will defer to Dan, he's the pro

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 13:54

BF:

Okay - so what about if I get hungry an hour or so before my workout - does my body go into starvation mode and start burning muscle instead? I'm confused.

Carrie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 18:50

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default tricky ...

It's is preferred to use a completely empty stomach, but some people I know do eat a LIGHT protein only meal about 1 1/2 hours before morning cardio because otherwise they get lightheaded.

The coffee is good, drop the cream, and the eggs are good ... no added fat though. The fat will slow gastric emptying and then you will still be digesting during your workout. No good.

As for glycogen levels, I don't think some coffee with non-dairy creamer and a few eggs will wreck things.

You have a special case here.

I just like to roll out of bed, pop my EC stack, grab a water bottle, get "presentable", and head to the gym. Then I drink a zero-carb, protein only drink on the way home (Isopure Grape) ... and about an hour later I eat breakfast.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 19:10

BF:

Drop the cream?! I suppose I could give it a go.............

Anyway, I did my workout before breakfast this morning - and felt pretty good too. Had eggs about an hour later. Seems like the plan from now on. Thanks for your help.

Carrie