Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%
Talking Just Bought Dr. Atkins Book, Can't wait to start! =)

Hello everyone, I have been reading this forum all day long, It is great to see the motivation and support I have been reading!!
My story:
I have always been a bit overweight, even with working out and eating low cal I have never been able to get to my ideal weight, and I was ALWAYS hungry lol, and when you are hungry temptation is harder to resist!
I had my first son 14 months ago, gained a lot of weight up to 175 (I am 5'3) but after giving birth lost weight at about 1-2 pounds a day for a couple weeks, thinking it would be easy and perhaps I would miraculously become one of the people who weighed LESS after giving birth than before they became pregnant...didn't happen lol...I stopped my weight loss at around 140, and I am now hovering around 135 slightly watching what I eat and trying to exercise, but I am a stay at home mom so when the baby naps one of the last things I want to do for that hour is get on an exercise bike lol.
This way of eating/living looks like just what I need, since I was young all I have ever eaten is tons and tons of carbs..and dairy, I love skim milk, american cheese, bread, PASTA lol...you know the drill!
In my cupboard all I see are chips, crackers, pasta and macncheese lol...I know I will need to clean it out and go shopping, I plan on doing that this weekend and starting the 2 week intro to the atkins diet. Problem is, I don't like veggies really, the green leafy kind nor do I like fish...I hope I can overcome this somehow hehe
I am 24, married, my husband is 26 and is one of those people who is just skinny, never gains weight..he actually TRIES to gain but to no avail, weights 130 (cry less than me and hes taller! lol)
Been looking to take off these 20 pounds since I was about 15, and now it's time to buckle down with a program that works, I have faith in this way of eating, and in all of you to be there to support me, I have never felt so motivated as I have felt reading all of your imput and success stories/journels etc
A big problem I have is beer....ugh I know its got to have insane amounts of carbs lol...but in trying to live healthy it's something I need to give up or at least drink less of anyway ....I think when I start eating right and feeling nourished and full my cravings will go away, I think part of the cravings are the carbs in it? Not sure lol...anyway I have rambled on enough, can't wait to hear from you all!
Take care everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:36

BF:
Default Adding...

From what I have read in these posts, I am going to start drinking LOTS of water instead of diet soda...which I am somewhat hooked on lol...
:::Reading Dr. Atkin's book right now::: hehe
I just can't get away from this forum, and all the support!
Gotta couple questions, which will probably be answered in his book, but since I love cheese, there are certain ones that I only eat...I have always been a very picky eater
I love american cheese, chedder, sharp or other-wise and I like provolone on ham and cheese sandwiches, but of course I won't be able to have the bread anymore like I always have...any other suggestions on cheeses? are these worse than other cheese? I don't like really strong cheese, sharp cheddar the strongest I have tried and like...
Also are the cheeses I like, are they not good cheese for the low carb diet? Again I will probably have this answered in the book, just want to know as soon as possible as I am so excited!
20 pounds may not seem like much to lose, but I have been carrying it around up and down for as long as I can remember and after having my child the weight has moved to places that I am not all too happy with lol
Also, on salads I absolutely love croutons, but it's something I will have to watch I see now, what about bacon bits? If its real bacon?
One more question, not sure about dairy altho it seems to be restricted I drink tons of skim milk..should I cut down on milk period and drink only whole? Even with all the fat? Been avoiding fat all my life guess this will just take a period of adjustment !
Well going to read more, I was blessed with the ability to read fast, I plan on having this book read by tomorrow night lol, I even wanna take notes
Bye for now!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:43

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 243/216/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default SHORT AND SWEET FAST READER

Great Great Book, it's my "Bible!"

Jessica
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:48

BF:
Default Wow! Floridian =)

I am in Tampa, Florida !

#5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Maysariel,

Cheese should be o.k. and it has little carbs, so it should be fine as long as you count the carbs. Some cheese has much less carbs tan others. You can check carb count by using our carb counter, wich lets you list all dairy products sorted by carb count.

Looking forward to see how your reading is going.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 21:37

BF:
Cool MY FELLOW FLORIDIAN!!!!!!!!!

Hello Sunshine Kid!!!!!!!!!! Nice to have Locals on the Board. I posted a "Florida Thread" in the U.S. Section, check it out, we can chat there often about the Sunshine State.

There are others from Tampa area I beleive.

See ya 'round!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 09:02

BF:

Good morning !

Didn't get as far in the book as I thought last night, played a pc game with hubby lol. Going to read now tho

I am already missing the diet soda and I haven't fully started yet lol...drinking water tho, when I go shopping for all the things I need think I will pick up some lemons, to help with the lack of flavor

Going to start a journel when I start the plan, I think it's a wonderful idea to keep ourselves on track and motivated!

Amy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 10:53

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

Just to play devil's advocate

You might be able to look forward to drinking some beer. It's much lower in carbs than a regular soda with sugar. I don't recommend beer on Induction, so you might want to wait a while, but I think beer can fit into a regular low-carb plan.

Missydog
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 11:05
Registered Member

Stats: 173/168/145
BF:
Progress: 18%

Maysariel,
Milk isn't allowed at all...invest in some heavy cream instead. Not for drinking, necessarily but more for putting into your eggs (I used to put a splash of milk into my eggs) or whipping up if you need a treat. As for your cheese question...I have some suggestions. Muenster and gruyere are fantastic. They are pretty mild white cheeses, but definitely have distinctive flavors and add variety. Also, do you like parmesan? That's really easy to sprinkle into everything. I'm only on day 9 of my induction, but I have found that I had to re-read the induction chapter of Atkins nightly for the first few days. It's not that it's *hard* to understand, but you really need to let it sink in and sort of comprehend where you're going. Just keep reading it and you will be fine! Good luck with that cheese!!
Susan
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 11:29

BF:
Post beer?????????????

Well, there is NO way Beer can be recommended on Induction because NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES allowed on induction!!!!!!! After that, certain alcoholic beverages are pERMITTED.

Second, the post read "Diet Soda", not Soda with Sugar which is an absolute NO!!!!!!!!!!! We, as Atkins Dieters should all know that. I cannot speak for any other Diet.

Third, Dr. Atkins recommends (page 310 Atkins New Diet Rev.) Vodca, Gin, and Scotch as long as the MIXER IS SUGARLESS.

So read before making any dacision that will set u back a few notches.

sO, gOOD lUCK!!!!!!!

Jessica
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 11:54

Stats: 168/168/140
BF:
Progress:
Smile Introduction

Hi I am Jo for Cheshire, England. Today I have completed my first day on the Atkins Diet. Not sure if I've done it right. I've seen to have eaten quite a bit and had 4 eggs i- Is this OK.

Breakfast
Scrambled Eggs (with a splash of milk), 2 rashers of bacon 1 saus and Mushrooms

Lunch
Chicken with salad (tomato,lettuce,onion,cucumber,peppers)

Dinner
Omlette - bacon,sausage,cheese

Boy I'm stuffed All you first timers like me - keep in touch as well as you OWL/Maintenance Guys.

See you later
x
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 13:45

BF:

Lol ya I know any alcohol is a no no for 2 weeks..havent gotten to the part in the book where Dr. Atkins mentions which liquors you can drink later on with sugarless mixers...Rum isn't one of them? Maybe I will look into that beer thing later on

Day 1 is going very well! Started my journel its a lot of fun

Can't write anymore right now, my child needs attention, will write some more later thanks for ALL the advice everyone!!

*hugs*

~Amy
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 17:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

(psst - Amy - I have only one word for you:

"Martinis"

and the olive is low carb too.)

(welcome!! )

shhh, don't tell anybody I told you
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 11:52

BF:
Talking Awesome!!!!!!!

Thankx 4 the Tip LC Sponge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so Glad your here, u always have the answers nobody else has!!!!!!!!!

Martini's, WHOA!!!!!!!!!! Drink up everyone, I know I will be when I hit my Goal WEIGHT!!!!!!!!

Cosmopolatin, HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jESSICA
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 11:55

BF:

Hehe cool thanks for the tip!!!

Never tried a martini, haven't drank much straight liquor...I hear they are an aqquired taste I will have to get some mix when I feel comfortable adding alcohol! My husband LOVES martini's so that will make him very happy hehe!

~Amy