Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 07:29

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 140/135/125
BF:
Progress:
Arrow love handles - how to get rid of

question - how to get rid of love handles !

I am 46 and although I have now lost about 15 lbs - I cannot get rid of 'love handles' around the waist. Everything else pretty much in proportion - actually I can't complain, I started low carbing to control diabetes2/blood sugar, - excellent results.

But the love handles are persistent. I get an average of 30-40 minutes aerobic exercise each day, try to do more on weekends, some weight lifting (not much).

I have heard that certain exercises can help - does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I read that high fat intake is not good for fat reduction on the bod. I think that I - like many low carbers - do intake fat each day (cheese, cream, some animal fat) - can't really do low fat and low carb, it's too painful.

Would appraciate anyone's views here. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: Personalized Plan
Stats: 146/125.7/128
BF:24.5/19.6/15%
Progress: 113%

Hi Rachel!

I think it would help you a great deal if you build up on the weight lifting. Muscles are the best fat burners in the world, the more you have the more fat they burn.

The most stubborn layer of fat on my body has always been my lower tummy and I'm happy to report that weightlifting 3 times a week and doing high intensity interval cardio 3 times a week is making that layer go away! For the first time in my life! I've always had a tummy, I was born with it and I can't believe it is finally melting off of me, so I honestly believe that this could work for you too.

If you want to transform your body, not just get a smaller version of it (including the saddle bags) then weight lifting is the key!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 08:27

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Gwyneth - I will try that

Having 2 kids and working means I don't have a lot of time for the gym. I basically lift weights (small!) at home and do some wall presses, that type of thing.

Do you go to the gym? Or do you have any suggestions for doing anything at home? Do you think it's the amount of weight you lift , or the amount of time, or the 'reps' that make the difference?? (probably all 3)

Thanks for the tip and I will definitely work on this approach. I will also have a look at your pictures

Thanks again
Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 08:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: love handles - how to get rid of

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel F
I have heard that certain exercises can help - does anyone have any ideas?

As Gwyneth pointed out, lifting weights will help to tone and build muscle, resulting in greater fat loss.

Spot reducing just doesn't work - doing all the leg exercises in the world won't make you lose fat faster in that area if that is not where you were destined to lose it next. We all have our 'trouble spots' where the fat vacates last - for women it tends to be the butt/thighs and hips, for men, the mid section.

As for high fat not resulting in lower body fat, there are many of us here who certainly prove that theory wrong I've lost over 25% BF eating fat and protein and restricting my carbs. By not eating carbs we are forcing our bodies to use our stored body fat for fuel - the end result is less body fat, no? Yes!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 08:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel F
Do you go to the gym? Or do you have any suggestions for doing anything at home? Do you think it's the amount of weight you lift , or the amount of time, or the 'reps' that make the difference?? (probably all 3)

Rachel, have a look through Trainerdans thread at the top of this forum called "Advice for the beginner" - it's full of tips and hints on how to go about starting a weight training program - reps, sets and intensity. It's a great place to start.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 08:34

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Natrushka! I can't believe what good advice I'm getting here after only posting today.

Will definitely go out/go home (!!) and start using those weights
Might even convince my husband too

Thanks everyone