Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 19:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Gaggin' down the carbs

I never thought Id say that it is difficult for me to eat carbs. I am literally NEVER hungry. I swear I eat 8 times a day, and I gotta shovel down the carbs so I dont lose anymore (which I still am, how is this possible?!). Anybody else havin a hard time getting all those carbs into their bodies? I must say I have enjoyed eating my spaghetti squash (a new discovered food) TONS. I looooove it with butter and some salt. Mmmhmmm!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Are you eating grains yet? If not,you may want to a good grain bread made without flour, that can help you get somne more carbs in. I know I get busy and forget to eat, cause I'm just not that hungry, however that only happens on my days off. I eat like a horse at work, lol
Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 21:22

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

You are one of the lucky ones in terms of weight loss; I for one have no trouble choking down carbs as you put it...I have to struggle to keep mine down.

I just looked at your journal: you are planning less than 1300 calories for tomorrow (or was that today?) No wonder you are still losing. You are not eating enough!!! I think Kathy's suggestion of adding in a good grain bread is a good idea: Ezekiel 4:9 bread is delicious and only 10-12 ECC per slice. It's made from sprouts, not flour. Also you can add in more vegetables, and low to medium glycemic fruits.

Try following Dr Atkins suggestion to add 5 carbs a week until you hit your maintenance level.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 21:39

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

El Corazon, you liked the spaghetti squash, maybe you would like some other vegatables, especially cooked/pureed, which sort of concentrates the carbs, like f'rinstance, the pureed cauliflower "mashed potato" dishes, pureed broccoli, perhaps with cheese sauce, oh yes, the "cauli-flied rice" all these are very appetizing, and for my diabetic metabolism, hard to keep from having too much. Spinach, tricked up with cream or just butter and nutmeg. most of these, a normal-looking serving might have 12-20 gm carbs, and go down real easy. Best wishes, Bill
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 21:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You are hardly shoveling in the grains. Many times you have questioned if you could eat LC foods, or if some moderate carb foods were ok. You really need to be following maintanance.

Add in more fruits. Put berries and apples into your salads, enjoy half an orange, make smoothies with fruit and yogurt, or fruit and cottage cheese, and so on. Also add in more starchy veggies. Shread some carrots onto your salads. 3/4 cup of carrots only has 10 net carbs I think it is.

Still stay away from refined sugar and flour, but go ahead and have a small serving of brown rice a few times a week with dinner. Use LC tortillas, natural peanut butter, and some LC jelly to make a PB & J.

Also make sure to eat at least your basal amount of calories. All starving is going to do is cause you to lose more lean mass. That means a slower metabolism, and possible weight gain in the future.

You repeatedly state that you are losing to much, and want to steady your weight. You also worry about losing to much. Yet at the same time you are trying for foods, calories, and so on to continue weight loss. Talk to someone if you are having problems letting yourself eat enough food, or carbs. Also check out Atkins for Life book for easy tables on what to eat regularly, in moderation, and rarely. Maybe just sticking to those tables with no carb or calorie counting could let you relax enough to stop obsessing about everything you eat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 21:44

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

You've been diagnosed with being hyperthyroid which causes weightloss from an overactive metabolism. Have you talked to your doctor about treatment so you don't become too underweight?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 14:02

Plan: Custom/Modified plan...25-40 carbs per day - it's working!!
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Try some Turnips! they're delicious and potato like, not extremely low carb, but at the same time not extremely high carb. Mashed like potatoes, sooo good. Also how about some really good whole grain breads, as suggested... like a big old openfaced pastrami sandwich on one slice of whole grain pumpernickle or something with all sorts of mustard..mm..
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

In my experience, maintenance has been the single most frustrating part of this WOE, because I've had a very hard time eating enough carbs. I don't really care for grains any more, and never liked beans to begin with, so I get pretty much all of my carbs from fruits, veggies, dairy, and nuts. You really have to work to get enough carbs without grains if you have a higher maintenance carb level, say more than 50-60g. For example, I ate about 65g net yesterday, in the form of:
1 medium apple (17)
2 tbsp peanut butter (5)
1 zucchini (5)
2 oz mushrooms (2)
2 tbsp chopped onion (1)
1 oz cream cheese (1)
1 artichoke (8)
1 pint strawberries (20)
1/4 c cream (2)
2 glasses chardonnay (5)
not to mention roasted pork shoulder, steak, and melted butter with the artichoke. In other words, I was stuffed like a goose, and there's no way I could have eaten another bite, let alone 10-15g. Those carb numbers are pretty typical for me -- I might have yogurt or starchy veggies instead, but my daily breakdown is just about always between 50-70g (lower, if anything) if I just eat as much of my preferred fruits and veggies as I want.

I just don't think people understand how hard it can be to get your carbs up to really high levels on lower-GI foods. "Add more veggies" is a nice theory, but it doesn't work well after a certain point because of the sheer volume of food involved. Yes, 3/4c of carrots may have 10 net carbs, but that just means that I could eat 2 cups of carrots at lunch, 2 more cups at dinner, and still be 35-40g short. Turnips aren't too helpful either -- at 8g per large turnip, 4 of them (1 1/2 lbs worth of turnips) would represent less than half my daily carb needs. An entire monster 2-lb spaghetti squash, about 8 cups cooked, is only 60g, and 8 cups of spaghetti squash is a *lot*. Even sweet potatoes won't help you get to your CCL, since they're only about 20g apiece, and again, that means you could eat two or three of them a day *on top* of what most board members would consider a normal day's carb intake. So yes, I really do understand what you mean about choking down the carbs, because I often feel the same way myself.

The ONLY veggies that will make significant contributions to your carb intake without requiring you to eat ridiculous amounts of them are beans/peas (like navy or pinto beans, not green beans or green peas) and corn. For me, these are a better carb bang for the food-volume buck than whole-wheat bread -- a cup of corn or beans has around 30-40g depending on the type of bean, which works out to be about the same carbs as 6-8 slices of Nature's Own LC bread but is easier to eat. You should probably be eating some of these *every single day*, maybe at every meal.

The other thing I notice from your journal is that you're using the LC shakes, and my advice (from experience) would be to drop them. I used to drink them for breakfast pretty much every day, because they were a quick, filling, portable small meal, and they're less frankenfood-y than the bars. Finally I realized that they were *too* filling, and that I didn't need to be eating something that would keep me from being hungry for a couple hours but only provide 2-3g of carbs. Now I eat an apple with some peanut butter, or some of my homemade almond-flour banana bread, which fills me up for just about as long but supplies ~20g of carbs instead.

The key to raising your carbs is thinking about food volume, and avoiding foods that are very low-carb but high-volume or high-satiety. The LC specialty foods are very non-helpful in this regard, and you should probably mostly cut these out.. Salads are also something you should probably try to pass up in favor of cooked veggies, again because of the carb/volume ratio. I have a hard time with this one, because I *love* eating big salads with meat, eggs, cheese, and dressing, but they're just too low in carbs, even if you add other veggies in with the lettuce. If you're raising your carbs, it's better to eat 3-4c broccoli than 3-4c lettuce. Likewise, peanuts are a better choice than macadamias, and cow's milk yogurt is better than goat's milk yogurt.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I hope this helps -- I understand and sympathize, because I've gone through the same thing. It's hard to shift your mindset into maintenance mode, and harder to physically eat the food. I'm still not managing the latter as well as I could be, and I get so ticked off about it sometimes -- this is maintenance, for Pete's sake! I shouldn't have to use Fitday! It's supposed to just come naturally! But it's easier now than it was a couple months ago, and I hope it will continue to improve with continued effort.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 15:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hey Atlee! Thanks for the help I put this thread in with my favorites. Im eating those shakes to try and clear out the pantry before mom goes nuts. I HATE to through them out. I finished off 2 canisters of mix (atkins bake mix and ketoslim vanilla), only have 3 more to go! I dont like beans either, and the grains I dont care for either other than a slice of bread with eggs in the morning. There again with the eggs and LC food. I also love my salads. I do love broccoli and spinach is okay too. Carrots I cant STAND, same with peas, string beans. I dont mind berries but theyre not my favorite choice. Even 1/2 a small apple is enough for me. There arent too many fruits I like other than apples, a peach here and there is okay..Im a meat girl! I did have a bowl of Kashi today and it wasnt that bad. I would have rather had a big steak and salad or my pureed broccoli Thank you for sympathizing with me. I too have to use FitDay to make sure Im eating enough carbs. Have a good day!!