Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:46
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%
Default Hello and Questions (long)

Hello everyone. I've been looking around this forum for a few days now, and I'm really impressed, with the content, the people. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

A little about me. I'm a 37 y/o computer programmer living in New York. I started Atkins about 18 days ago--the first diet in my entire life. When I moved to NY at age 24 I was a size 10-12 and weighed +/- 145 (I'm 5'8"). I'm now 208 (after losing 8 pounds on induction), and wear a size 16.

The heaviest I had ever been before coming to NY was just pushing a size 14. I lost that weight not by dieting, but by living the "french paradox". I moved to France for a year and simply ate what they ate, much higher amounts of fat and protein, very few sweets or snacks (It may surprise most people but a typical dessert in France is cheese, yogurt or an apple; the pastries are for special occasions), wine with dinner... (sounds very much like a controlled carb "diet" doesn't it? except it was simply the way of life there.) I never ate so much in my life and yet I was so thin...it was amazing given the low-fat dogma that had by then become so deeply ingrained in north americans.

After moving to NYC--to finish college--I went through a period of about a year where I was very stressed out and very lonely. I was too busy to make friends or date and too busy, I thought, to eat well. I ate more junk food during this time than I ever had in my life, and on weekends, sat alone in my appartment and ate my way through a whole pint of haagen dazs and half a bag of chips while watching TV. The result: I ballooned to over 200 pounds in less than two years.

It's now almost 12 years later and I've never yet tried to diet the weight off; I always felt I could lose it just by exercising and just eating well (it's been over a decade since the haagen dazs by the pint days). But I haven't been able to and I'm finally convinced that the ony way I'm going to lose this weight is to drastically change my way of eating. There was no way I was EVER going on a low fat diet; after my experience with the French way of eating, I knew first hand that fat was not the problem. Controlling carbs on the other hand makes a lot of sense. I just wish I'd discovered it sooner!

So now I'm off down this path, and I was off to such a great start. I lost 8 pounds in the first week of Induction and I was encouraged because I really don't mind eating this way at all. But since then, nothing for about 11 days now. I've been very, very true to the plan--not so much as a peanut or even a cranberry, After reading a lot of the past posts here, I see that this is normal, but the idea of figuring out what has stalled me is just plain driving me crazy.

Caffeine, no caffeine; cheese, no cheese, too many calories? to few? too much protein? This is why I've never dieted. I like to enjoy my food, not obsess over it! I started eating artificial sweetener briefly and suspect that may have been the source. I hate fake food anyway, so I dropped it back out about 5 days ago. Still nothing.

I found a thread that suggests I might not be getting enough calories. I started a fitday journal, and discovered to my astonishment I wasn't even getting near 2000/day--amazing to me because I am so full all the time. So I think that's my next step, to step up the fat intake some more. I'd love to hear from anyone who may have had a similar experience early on. I was so sure this would work, I don't want to be wrong!

Cheers,

Dorothy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 00:11
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Dorothy,

Welcome to the forum, and well done on those first 8 pounds!

You have done nothing wrong. In fact it is extremely common after an excellent initial loss like your for the body to seem to need to have a little break. It's a matter of the fat cells hanging onto fluid for a while until they realise you are not going to starve them.
It's not a stall as such - in fact a true stall is 4 to 6 weeks with no pounds OR inches lost. Which reminds me, have you measured yourself? It's not too late, if you haven't already done so. many folk find they are eating more protein when they low carb, and their bodies gratefully grow some muscle - even in the absence of exercise - which weighs more than fat.

Back to your body taking a "break:" did you know that we have found here that the most that most people will lose on Induction is 10% of the weight they need to lose. You're past that already with 12%.
After Induction, the losses run at about 5% per month. Just keep reminding yourself, that this is for life - not a quick weight loss diet.

So all you need to do is continue exactly what you are doing, and I can promise you that more fat will leave you soon. You may well have a visit from the Whoosh Fairy.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 13:21
Contributing Member

Thanks, Rosebud. I appreciate the encouragement. I'm definitely in no rush; I waited 10 years to try a diet. I just want to be sure I'm on the right track.

When you say "continue exactly what you are doing", do you think I would be better off NOT adding more fat and just seeing how it goes? I understand it can't hurt--I think I read every "fat is your friend" thread out there--but I can't tell if it's really necessary. I feel like I have plenty to eat but my calories are quite often under 2000/day. So last night I stirred a ton more mayo than usual into my tuna salad, and had big slices of butter on some radishes. But think if I have to keep forcing it down like that, I'm not going to enjoy it.

Thanks,

Dorothy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 18:13
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Dorothy,

By all means add more fat - but not to the point that you won't enjoy it. My point was that you are not "stalled" because you are doing anything wrong, your body is simply pausing for a bit as it recovers from the initial loss.

Mind you, it's always a good idea to keep the calories up if you can. But as long as your cals aren't way under 2000 - say, less than 1200 - I think you'll be fine.

Did you read the Whoosh Fairy link (just click on the underlined words)? I think it explains the water adjustments fairly well there.

Happy low carbing!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 20:40
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Did you read the Whoosh Fairy link (just click on the underlined words)? I think it explains the water adjustments fairly well there.

Yes, thanks. Very reassuring. I also just occurred to me I'm premenstrual right now, and with all the bacon and cheese my sodium may be puffing me up a bit, too.

Re calories: I've decided I am going to throw a little extra fat into everything I cook. (My grandmother always made scrambled eggs with heavy cream...that will take me back.) But I'm going to forego scarfing down fat at the end of the day just to make up the difference. That would be my undoing, I think.

Hopefully if I'm full all the time, my body will just figure it out. I'll give that a couple weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks, Rosebud.

Cheers,

Dorothy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 15:05

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Dorothy,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your great progress!
I followed Rosebud's link to the whoosh fairy and thought that was a wonderful explaination of stalls, plateaus, and whooshes.

I recently went through a plateau of 199.5/201 for about 12 days, doing everything right and wondering what was going on! Towards the end of this plateau was PMS and once TOM came, the next three days the whoosh fairy appeared. Day before TOM 199.5, next day 198, next day 197.5!

Hang in there, drink your water, stay away from food additives if necessary(I am very sensitive to them, maybe you are too), and just keep on truckin'..

I am sure you will get over this hump! Have you started a journal yet, sometimes that helps to see what foods might stall you and also to document whoosh fairy visits.

Deb
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 15:44
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdebchat
Towards the end of this plateau was PMS and once TOM came, the next three days the whoosh fairy appeared. Day before TOM 199.5, next day 198, next day 197.5!

Well, thanks, Deb. That's encouraging, since my period is due any day now. Just for the record: six days since posting, and still nothing on the scale. But after all the encouragement I've been trying hard not to let it bother me. Now I'm dying to see if I have a similar experience to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdebchat
Have you started a journal yet, sometimes that helps to see what foods might stall you and also to document whoosh fairy visits.

I have. Fitday is great! At first I thought it was annoying and slow, but I figured out a few tips from reading the boards--like using the "all recent foods" menu, and waiting to enter portion sizes all at once--and now I use it religiously.

If I whoosh after my TOM, I'll definitely post an update.

Dorothy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 21:08

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

Deiesse
Congratulations on your Woosh!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 04:14
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

Well whooshed. Ain't it nice?

Gez
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 04:52
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Woosh Baby Whoosh!!!!! way to stick in there!!!