Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Are all white wines created equal?

A carb book listed Louis M. Martini Chardonnay wine as having .2 carbs for 3 oz. It listed Paul Masson Chablis wine as having 2.7 for the same amount. Does anyone know any other white wines that are VERY low carb? Thanks. Christa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, I think you'll find if you stick to a dry white (Chardonnay can be a bit sweeter), it has little if any carbs. Generally the sweetness codes of dinner wines, go from "o" being the driest to 4 being very sweet, which will be some german wines. Look for Chard with a "o" there is some, or stick to savignon Blanc, Pinor Gris, dry white. Stay away from Chenin, Chablis, reislings.

Hope that helps.

Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Sat, Mar-22-03 at 13:38.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 14:56
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Kathy, Vancouver Island is beautiful. I did not know that we could have wine on this diet, I remember getting the atkins carb count book (the little paperback one) and coming to the conclusion that the only alcohol I could have was the hard stuff (which I can't tolerate) so I've stayed away...now they have low carb beer, that will be fun in the summer, but I love wine. Thanks for the info.

Gail
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thanks, Kathy, for the wine facts. I've copied your reply so it will always be at my fingertips. Since I can't have my nightly low-fat ice cream, a couple of glasses of wine in the evening are my treat. Thanks again. Christa
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 16:05

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hello I have Dr.A's new book" Atkins For Life" and the question of alcohol is in there. It say's that they had taken it out of his Book "Dr.Atkins New Diet Revolution" because it wasn't food. It goes on to say that isn't to say you can't enjoy alcohol occasionally, assuming that you are not a diabetic or have trouble controling how much you drink. I don't think I should copy to much about it if you have the book it is on page 46.
Pat S.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 20:43

BF:

Hi, your welcome, I have found that in moderation wine does'nt interfere with my losses I started to have the occasional glass after doing Atkins for about 5 weeks with no- alcohol. Then, I read Protien power, as I was interested in perhaps switching, and they allow wine with dinner.
cheers Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Sat, Mar-22-03 at 20:45.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 12:21

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I was reading the Atkins for Life book and it says that the good news in recent studies have shown that drinking alcohol, particularly wine, with a meal diminishes the impact of the carbohydrate on blood sugar. Cheers Pat S
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 13:20

BF:

Now is'nt that just the best news for us wine lovers

Cheers Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 14:43
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Oh my Pat you've just made my year! Gotta go and dig that book out again.

Gail