Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%
Unhappy Good Party....Bad Girl... What do I do NOW??

Hello everyone,

I had a wonderful graduation party on Saturday - everyone told me it was my day - go ahead - one meal, one afternoon - I've been SO good... (you know how loving your family members are!)

Well, I won't say how much I ate, but let's just call it an all out binge. Today I got on the scale and was 5 - that's F-I-V-E pounds heavier.

I guess I should start my induction over again and get my body detoxed again...I was SO stalled for weeks that I guess I didn't have the stamina to avoid the beautiful food table!! Anyhow, I will volunteer myself for any reprimands or lectures anyone may want to send my way.

Does ANYONE have a story like this that turned out ok?? Today, I'm sticking with meat, cheese, eggs, water and crow.

Will tune in tomorrow! Thanks for listening...

Donna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 12:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Does ANYONE have a story like this that turned out ok??

Oh, I would say 90% of the people who use this forum!

If it's your way of life, then it's your way of life. In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter?

You are bigger than a mere stall, and know better than your family does about what's right for you.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 12:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

Dear DD

DON'T PANIC

as Karen said it happens to us all, hopefully some of your gain is water retention too so it should shift quickly once you go back on the waggon.

Keep at it

#4   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 13:21

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just hop back on the wagon again and start fresh.. I had a night of it lastnight my self and decided to have a couple of drinks and I know I went way over my carb limit with 3 drinks so lesson learned and im crawling back on after one night my bad side coming out... I know now that I didnt miss it like I thought I did. and plan on keeping on track now....

Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 15:15

Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Donna,

Congratulations on your graduation!!

Bebe
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 19:57

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

First off, congratulations on your achievement.

Second off, don't sweat the binge. A one day binge is nothing more than a temporary annoyance. The five pounds you gained is almost all water - unless you really think you might have consumed about 20,000 calories yesterday. Don't worry about "starting over", just pick up where you left off and you will come back down pretty quickly - no more than a few days most likely.

The thing to avoid is having one "bad" day lead you into a bad week. Youi might also see if you can figure out what you might have done differently to stay mostly LC while still having a good time. But, and I think this is important, do not let LC run your life to the point where you don't have a life. Compromise and moderation are the keys. When you go someplace first see what is there that you can and should eat. Focus on those. Next see what is there that it is so-so to eat. Enjoy those next. Have plenty of what you can have. Then you probably won't have room for much of what you shouldn't have.

If you are like me, you are used to seeing a picnic or party as an opportunity to have lots of different tasty foods and, on the side, chat with a few friends or long lost family. This creates the mindset that you HAVE to eat a lot and a lot of different things and a lot of bad things in order to have fun. You don't. You just have to change your mindset. The food is NOT the party - the friends and family are. Enjoy THEM instead.

Try it - it really works. And always remember - nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

Keep the Faith!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 20:59
Registered Member

Aaahhhhh.....that was like a breath of fresh air! THANKS to all the well wishers -- you'll be happy to know that I was right back on the path again today and had no problems saying no at the continuing festivities!

I'm drinking extra water today, and will do some work in the yard tomorrow! Hopefully I'll at least get back to where I left off. I'm ready to get things rolling again. I look fat in all my pictures. That's even more incentive...

It can be so frustrating when it moves so slow...but boy it's MORE frustrating to sabotage yourself right back to square one! Lesson learned.

Donna
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 07:04

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Congrats on your graduation! I had a binge day on Saturday. I made a leg of lamb, my dh put potatoes in the pot and roasted them. I had a couple of drinks, which led to a couple of potatoes which led to a chocolate bar I didn't beat myself up, instead I realized what caused my binge and jumped right backon the wagon on Sunday (I drank 5 L of water) and am back on track today. Sunday morning I was up about 4 lbs. but back to normal this morning .... and have learned my lesson.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 07:35

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up Good for you!

Donna,

What a great accomplishment to get right back on the wagon! Hopefully, you won't beat yourself up so bad if it happens again. Just trust in yourself and know that although you may take a detour or two, the road leads to where you want to be.

I noticed our starting weights, current weights, goal weights are very close. Maybe we can inspire each other.

Dee
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 09:16
Registered Member

Thank you V and Dee... I'm on my second day of strict induction today - still back up the whole 5 pounds. I was thinking today of how one binge can really start you back from the get-go. Here I am only 3 pounds down from my starting weight and that was 6 weeks ago. Man, I thought the stall was bad!

Yes, Dee - I would love some buddy contact. I'm not having any consistency so far, and the mood seems to change with the scale. But I'm staying on the wagon for lots of reasons - first is that I know it is a good weight loss WOE and second, I am severely hypoglycemic and have had migraines, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc. for years. I'm good for 2 headaches a week at least, and the shakes anytime I don't eat something in time. Since Atkins, not ONE single migraine, no other symptoms whatsoever, and I really don't even crave the carbs like I thought I would. The cake and other goodies I ate...I really could have done without them. They didn't have the satisfaction they once had. So LOTS of things have changed and I'm staying on board.

Now for the SCALE!!

Donna
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 09:48

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Good Party....Bad Girl... What do I do NOW??

Quote:
Originally posted by DDMariana

Today, I'm sticking with meat, cheese, eggs, water and crow.

Donna

Please don't neglect your veggies! They didn't do anything why punish them.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 10:35

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question What works for you?

Donna,

I know that for me, I can't live with beating myself up.

I am still doing induction, but I'm not sure that going back on it is going to be my answer when I make a mistake.

It would feel like a punishment, when this WOL is a gift to me...

The 5 pounds is water. Going back to low carb, to my understanding, should take those pounds back off this week. Especially if you drink a lot of water and all that...

I would say that in your shoes I would make myself something yummy and low carb... a way to remind yourself of all the good things in this life... like devilled eggs or leg of lamb or a nice piece of steak with a pat of butter on it... (yum!) This is a wonderful eating plan, and remember, you have accomplished a lot just by starting it...

Of course, you may be totally different from me and beating yourself up may work for you !

A day at a time, a meal at a time, sometimes a minute at a time... so you ate, that is in the PAST now... you are in the NOW...

Hope you don't mind the advice, and hang in there, whatever you decide to do!

Misty
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 16:33

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Do you have a Journal?

Hi Donna,

I tried to Private Message you (but you need to have posted at least 25 times), or leave a message in your journal, but I can't find it.

How are you doing? Are you still hanging in there?

Dee
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 08:20
Registered Member

Good morning everyone, and thanks for the support! I am pleased to announce that I'm back to my pre-party 193 today, and have suffered no permanent head damage from bashing myself up. This is two days back on the wagon, and I'm once again eating well and feeling fine.

I REALLY appreciated the response to my S.O.S. because this week I've had my head in so many other things that if I hadn't checked in for moral support I would have sunk into a funk!

Don't worry Agonycat, I'm eating my veggies and found a good no-carb bleu cheese dressing (Maries) for my salads. Dee, I think I'm almost up to the 25 posts - at least pretty soon. But I still don't know how to do a journal. Would like to post my fitday.com numbers sometimes, but haven't figured out how.

Today...I'm taking Misty's advice and making something yummy. You're right about thinking of being on the plan as something positive, not a punishment. I figured I'd better get back to induction because of the strictness, but apparently, I'll be okay to pick up where I left off.

Tonight: maybe ribs (I love them)

Donna
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 08:30

Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

good for you for sticking at it...

we are always here for support !!

keep it up