Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question Meat fast, fat fasts etc.

Hi all,
You are all such a fountain of information I know you will be able to answer these questions for me.
What exactly is the meat fast, what do you have to consume etc...and the fat fast and all these "boosters" that I see people talking about. I haven't seen any sort of "recipe" for them...but they seem to do the trick for jump starting people. Anyone out there that can point me in the direction of the the instructions for them, or can explain them for me, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:14

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Hi Dar!
I am one of those superturtles, i.e. I lose weight so very slowly that it's almost a joke, but... I am on the way down with my weight, I feel much better and this is such a healthy WOL that I wouldn't want to chnage it.
A while ago I thought I'd jumpstart my metabolism and do the fatfast. The details of that are in the Atkins book. I managed it for almost two days, but then I felt so terrible, that I just had to go off it. It was like a serious attack of very low bloodsugar, as if my verins in my whole bodu were trembling - and this when I always stay under 30 carbs a day and mostly even under 20!
You can find it somewhere in my journal. I think it's a great way for some, and others will not be able to go through with it. I will try the meat fast in the near future, maybe my body can cope with that. I am very interested in all possible reactions that you will get, thanks for asking the question!
Willeke
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:52
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dar,

The fat fast is only for people who are very metabolically resistant -- the people who lose neither pounds nor inches on plain induction. From your stats you appear to be losing, so I wouldn't suggest you go there. If you want to read about it, it's in chapter 20 of DANDR (pgs 272-274 in my edition.)

The meat fast is also a stall breaker that (at least in my opinion) should only be resorted to if you're really stalled -- that is, if you've lost no weight and no inches for at least six weeks or more. And it's just what it sounds like -- you eat meat and fat, and nothing else. Fresh meat, not processed (no bacon, ham, sausage, etc.) cooked any way you like it. You can use fat in the preparation, and as a condiment, and you can eat the fat on your meat.

Of the two, I think the meat fast is a healthier idea than the fat fast, but if you're losing weight at all, I think it's better to just stick to the program.

Hope this helps.

--Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default Stalled?

First let me ask are you losing??? If not then, Are you losing inches? If not any of the above then resort to the fast.

If you are losing weight and losing inches, but only losing slowly then don't resort to the fast. This is not a race. It's a WOL. Because you are losing weight slowly does not mean that you aren't doing something right. I would check my menu and be sure that there are hidden carbs first. Then check my exercise plan.

Are you eating enough fat? Are you taking supplements? Is your health improving overall?

If you are doing all of these and still losing weight then you are on the right track. Your journey is going to be different than others. Don't gauge your's to someone else's because this plan will work for each person differently.

Tanya