Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 09:38

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Thumbs down getting too big!!

I'm really starting to freak out.. I've been doing Schwarzbein for roughly 3 weeks and I've gained 12 pounds!! My metabolism was healthy before as I was doing low carb and only ate whole foods for the most part, some splenda but not much. I hadn't expected this much weight gain.
My clothes that were loose that I was going to toss/give away are now tight and I refuse to buy larger clothes. I also do modeling and I was already borderline too heavy but now there's no way I would take a job in this condition. I am freaking out here! Will this monstrous weight gain continue? It seemed to me 10 pounds was the average people gained doing this program. My weight is rising steadly. I've gained about 5 pounds this week!

How much did you gain, at the beginning and as it progressed? How long did it take to GO AWAY again?
I'm really trying here but I am on my last leg.

sheri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 10:10
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sheri:

I'm so sorry to hear about your weight gain. Which program are you following? The possibility of weight gain certainly sucks!

One of the mistakes I made in the beginning, moving from Atkins was that I was so used to a high fat intake that I didn't lower it to a moderate fat intake. I basically added extra carbs on top of my already high fat diet. Then I gained weight.

You could try fiddling with your saturated fat intake if the weight gain's too much to bear. That's one of the suggestions SPII makes. Of course, exercising would help too. That's a given.

Maybe you could post some menus. Another possibility is if you have food intolerances. Whatever's happened this week, most of your gain would have to be bloating unless you were eating huge amounts of high carb/high fat food, which you shouldn't be doing if following SP.

Anyway, this is a start. Others may have some better suggestions.

Wanda

--edit--
I just looked at your journal and see some similiarities. Nut butter!!! They were my demise when I started SP. I've had to realize that I have food addictions as well. I used to binge on high fat foods when I did Atkins. For me, combining carbs with saturated fat is a food trigger for me. I started bingeing on sugary fats, so now I'm careful. My other sore spot is nuts. I've had to give them up. I thought I could handle the nut butters until I'd eat half a jar of nut butter which would then trigger a sugary fat binge.

I'm not patient enough for the program to sort out my addictions and cravings so I've taken the bull by the horn and modified the program to help prevent me craving my food addictions.

--edit--
the other thing I realized was that I was eating 5 full meals/day instead of breaking them down into 5 smaller meals. That's another thought.

BTW, you are very beautiful. It must be stressful to be a model/actress and have to maintain a certain weight.

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Sep-06-03 at 10:24.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

I don't mean this to sound like I'm against Dr. Schwarzbein--quite frankly, I think her book is quite informative and certainly makes very good sense. The only thing I disagree with is her approach to insisting on hormone replacement therapy.
In answer to your question "has anyone else gained weight on her program?" You bet I have! I was on it for 2 weeks and gained 4 lbs. This was over a month ago --actually about 6 weeks ago. Since then, I've tried Atkins Induction, Fat Flush, KISS all to no avail --in fact, this a.m. I was up yet another lb. AND this was all happening with NO cheats, no caffeine, no processed meats/foods, (I exercise), etc.....
So, I am really upset about this whole thing and as of today have scaled back to approx. 10 carbs/day.

Carol
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 09:31

Wanda,
I'm following healthy adrenals w/ burned out adrenal glands. I really can't tell if it's the right program, because I am not addicted to nicotine, sugar, or caffeine (I have a cup with 1/2 decaf almost every morning. As soon as my coffee runs out I will only drink full decaf.) I've been getting off my prescriptions that she says are harmful (with my doc's consent of course!) I have three meals w/ 20-25 carbs and two snacks with 15-20. I don't measure my portions usually but don't feel I'm going much over if at all. I exercise 4-5 times a week for 45 mins to an hour (Tai bo, belly dance, the Firm weight training)
You might be right about using too much fat on her diet. She says you don't have to worry about using too much, your body will tell when it's had enough but since our bodies were conditioned to allow so much on Atkins, maybe it's a different story for us. I might have figured out another problem. I just received her cookbook in the mail, and she actually counts a lot of stuff as carbs that I hadn't been! I stopped counting nut butters as carbs, didn't count condiments like peanut sauce, taco seasoning, cream etc. She also puts a carb count on most of her recipes that she said in her book were free foods!? I don't understand. If that's the case I might be way above my carb count. For the most part I have only been counting my "carbs" and starchy vegetables towards my total carb count.

also, she says raw tomatoes are a nonstarchy vegetable and therefore a free food. Then she puts them in the fruit category at 15 carbs! Which is right? I eat quite a few cherry tomatoes throughout the day.

It's a possibility that my meals are too big. I have a pretty regular sized dinner every night. Sometimes I feel a little too full but usually just "pleasantly done." Maybe that's too much? Especially right before bed. My lunches are usually good sized but I get really hungry at work for some reason, even though I'm just sitting at a computer. Maybe my brain uses up all the energy? Maybe I should work on cutting down.

And thank you for saying such nice stuff! I've always thought you were beautiful! You look like you belong in Hollywood going to all the red carpet parties.

Carole, I just got done reading your post about weight problems.. I wonder why you are having so much trouble losing? I always had a lot of trouble losing on Atkins/low carb after my initial water loss. It took a LOT of sacrifice in portion/variety and work to get down past my "comfortable" weight and as soon as I went back to eating how I was before it'd just come back. Therefore, out of desperation I'm trying something new. And I can't really see myself eating 20-30 carbs a day for the rest of my life!
They say you have "one golden shot" and after that it's a lot harder to lose on low carb. Maybe that's it? Every time I stop LC'ing and go back it gets harder and harder and I have to cut back on more and more foods. Hope you find something that works for you!

good luck.
sheri
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:17
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Nitrovixen:

I was following the same program until I got my hormones tested. I'm supposed to be following the IS/HA program, but I haven't started yet b/c I'm doing some tweaking. In all honesty, it sounds like you don't have burned out adrenals based on what you've written, so you shouldn't be part of that population who gains weight.

It's funny, I always hear about fat making you full within 20 minutes of eating it, but I can tell you, some of my worst binges were on Atkins, bingeing on legal, high saturated fat foods and never feeling full until about 3,000 calories later. Everyone is so individual, it's hard to know the answers without experimenting a bit. But she does emphasize that it's a moderate fat diet and I like to concentrate more on getting my essential fats. That's just me.

Re: her cookbook - I thought she only counted "qualifying" carbs in her recipes. The ones I've made did that. I'll have to take a look see. Which recipes should I look at?

I never stopped counting nuts as carbs for the simple fact that I'm addicted to them and need some kind of limits on them. Sad but true.

Quote:
also, she says raw tomatoes are a nonstarchy vegetable and therefore a free food. Then she puts them in the fruit category at 15 carbs! Which is right? I eat quite a few cherry tomatoes throughout the day.

You know what? I never noticed that before. It must be a mistake b/c she specifically writes in her book that tomatoes (as long as they aren't cooked) are considered NS veggies. I'd write to them and ask, but I think I used up my "question quota" and I'm now on their blacklist. You might e-mail them and ask about this discrepancy.

If you are hungry between meals then don't cut down on your food. I was just thinking back to some of the mistakes I made and I was forcing food down my throat b/c I was so full from having 5 meals a day.

The biggest criticism of SP is that it requires so much faith. I deal with these same bouts of doubt as do many others. I don't think anyone denies that it's a healthy way of eating and maintaining weight. But losing weight AND being metabolically healthy can be a real struggle for many.

I hope you're able to make the program work for you. Keep us updated.

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 16:44
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hello NitroVixen

I checked out your pics and have to agree with Wanda you're one gorgeous chicky.

I also agree with Wanda about the fat - I'm another one who was always hungry on Atkins and no matter how much fat I ate never felt satisfied - I do much better on a plan with more grains and fibre.

I can't really suggest anything Wandy hasn't - I've kind of strayed from SPII at the moment - wanting a quicker weight loss. When I do follow SPII I really limit my fats and break a few rules by using some fat free and reduced fat products - old habits die hard. I have to say in my own experience I have to limit my calories no matter what the experts say. Have you tried making sure that most of your carbs are really high in fibre? I am a fan of the F-Plan diet which advises 40 grams of fibre a day ( this is pretty hard to reach on a controlled carb plan ) but even fibre over 20 grams a day makes a difference. I use a bran bread which has 13 carbs and 4 grams of fibre for 2 slices (admittedly the slices are small) and at times all bran cereal, and a lot of soups with beans and other veggies. I avoid nuts because of the fat - although I know a few would be alright the question is could I stop at a few!!!

Quote:
My lunches are usually good sized but I get really hungry at work for some reason, even though I'm just sitting at a computer

Is your mind occupied enough while at work - I find I get "fake hunger" if I'm bored and I really have to stop and recognize it - tell myself that I've had enough to eat and there is no reason for me to be hungry and try to overcome the little that is trying to make me eat.

You might be on to something when you wonder if your meals are too large - here is another funny thing - I can eat a frozen diet dinner and feel quite full - but make myself a plate of homemade food that is about twice the size and I might still feel unsatisfied - this made me realize I really have to work on portion control.

Well, I haven't given you much help - but I will say you are far from being fat - though I realize how for your modelling/acting you've got to be totally in control of it - I'm glad you are looking for healthy options rather than neglecting your nutrition.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:49
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

About the little pooch on our bellys. It's a little layer of fat that is very difficult to make go away. Our higher estrogen makes us hold on to fat more than men and our dermal substructure is different. Thats why we have cellulite and men don't. Our body fat is also naturally higher than mens. This is necessary for proper reproduction. When female athletes drop their body fat below 20% menstral cycles stop and in very young women breast development is delayed because the reduced body fat affects hormone levels. Basically we should all be Botticelli babes!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 15:41

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Protein snacks

I know everyone seems to be saying to limit protein, but I have found that the only snacks that get me through from lunch to a late dinner, which I have on Tuesdays because of dance class, are protein snacks like chicken or jerky. Nuts, which have too many carbs for me, only make me hungrier.

I've been finding that I feel better with more protein and less carbs. But I did realize recently that my serotonin levels were dropping (based on mood and a developing depression caused by stress), so I upped my carbs before bed for a short time and "snapped out of it."

Wanda said:
Quote:
I know Dr. S. mentions in her book that if your veggie intake is really high, you can substitute your veggies for starchy carbs.

It was in her first book. And I still follow that advice because I have a low tollerance for starchy carbs. However, in her second book she categorically says not to do that. A total reversal.

I'm still tweaking, even after over 1 1/2 years. One of these days I'll get it right for me.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 16:00
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Deb

Good to hear from ya!!

Quote:
However, in her second book she categorically says not to do that. A total reversal.

I didn't remember that. I must have selective memory. I guess that wouldn't be the first time she changed her mind.

Quote:
I'm still tweaking, even after over 1 1/2 years. One of these days I'll get it right for me.

Glad to hear of veterans tweaking. I've been feeling a lot of guilt over my need to tweak the program. How stupid is that, especially when I know how important it is to tweak every program for individual differences.

Quote:
I know everyone seems to be saying to limit protein, but I have found that the only snacks that get me through from lunch to a late dinner, which I have on Tuesdays because of dance class, are protein snacks like chicken or jerky.

I've been toying lately with equal grams of protein:carbs and I'm really liking the effect so far.

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 16:55

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks, Wanda. I lurk more than particapte lately due to time constraints -- I'm just too busy! But I did just post a long message in the general low carb section.

You said:
Quote:
I've been toying lately with equal grams of protein:carbs and I'm really liking the effect so far.

That's a lot more carbs than I can deal with. I'm finding more and more that I feel much better staying away from starches (grains) and sweets. I do, however, get some carbs from yogurt and wine (both drinking and cooking) and other non-grain sources like avocados, etc. Whenever I do try to add in some more starches, I don't feel well.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 17:38
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Deb:

Quote:
That's a lot more carbs than I can deal with.

Hope you didn't think that was a suggestion. Just goin' along with your point about the protein. But I see I made a mistake. I meant veggies and carbs together, not just starchy carbs alone. I've been experimenting on my program and it's just easier to let the program tell me the carbs than to sort it all out into carbs and veggies. So equal total carbs : protein seems to be working well with my experimenting.

Everyone is so different in how they react to foods. It can certainly be a daunting task trying to sort it all out. Sounds like you're getting there.

Off to check out your post.
Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 12:58

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%

I too do wello on higher fat - just as long as I am disciplined enough to cut carbs. I feel much better with lower crabs (aaaghhh - ha ha - I mean "CARBS")in general - not as strict as say induction on Atkins - but just lower carb and also WHAT carbs I eat - very important

Congrats 00wwow!!!

Last edited by sunkist : Fri, Sep-19-03 at 09:18.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 09:12

Default 9/19/03

holy cow! I didn't visit the forum for a day and my thread exploded!

1whowaits: I sure wish it was "in" to look like a botticelli babe! I'm all for that.

I am SO bad.. I innocently decided I was going to enjoy a cup of sugar free chai (I'm trying to rid my house of all my sugar free stuff, but it's a long process-I'm holding on to it all for my mom who is supposed to be visiting in the next few months) Then I got totally out of control and ate a whole bunch of keto cereal w/ AS, and ended up buying coffeecake last night! AS make me go crazy just like regular sugar. I guess Schwarzbein is right about how bad they are.
I seem to do just fine with whole foods- protein, fat, nonstarchy veggies and even carbs (the good kind) Everything except almond butter and AS (which we aren't supposed to have anyway).

Sunkist: congratulations on reaching your goal! I could never get down to my goal weight so gave up and did Schwarzbein. Sometimes I want to go back on low carb for awhile and drop some weight then get back on Schwarzbein, but I'm pretty sure I'd just gain it right back. Everyone says after doing SB and going back to low carb they don't lose weight, I wonder what that's about? I've noticed every time I do go back it gets harder and harder to lose. I exercise 4-5 times a week (Tai Bo and the Firm for weights and resistance) but I think what I eat is too much for the activity level, that must be why I am gaining weight. I've always been a very compulsive eater, I'm lucky I'm not obese. I need to find a way to change my habits before it happens. I'm trying the moderation thing, but sometimes my growling stomach gets the better of me. Thanks for the advise!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 23:14

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%

Hi Girls
I usually just post over in the Paleo section - but I've been reading this thread and I thought I'd say hi.

Nitrovixen:
What I try to do whenever I want to lose weight is to eat really "cleanly". What I mean by that is to try and cut out all condiments, sauces, artifical sweeteners, processed foods or beverages - even if it's just for a week or two. This will really help to get rid of any hidden ingredients that could be causing the weight gain or lack of weight-loss.

I agree too that HIGH FAT & HIGH CARB DO NOT go together!! Right niw I would say I am eating
LOW- TO MODERATE CARBS (in the form of mostly raw veggies & some fruits - very low on the starches, grains, pastas, potatoes etc.)
MODERATE FAT (in the form of animal fat such as a little raw butter, fat on a steak, coconut oil, olive oil )
MODERATE PROTEIN (in the form of red meat, seafood, poultry, raw egg yolks)

On this diet - I easily maintain 125 pounds on my 5'7" Frame. I do not exercise much - maybe a few days out of the week/cardio - a little weight lifting here and there. But before you say I must have a somewhat fast metabolism, I don't. If I were to start eating breads, beans, potatoes, pastas etc - I would blow up like the Pillsbury Dough Girls- Puffy, Pasty, & Pale!!

Before you think this is like Atkins - it isn't because I don't believe in the daily use of AS, Dairy Products, or Packaged foods.

Give it a try maybe - if you still really are concerned maybe you can find an actual doctor or health specialist who knows about the Schwarzbein method and can help you determine if this phase is simply part of the program or if you are veering off-track -

Good Luck
Sunkist
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 04:00
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

I just had to jump in here and reply to Sunkist (even though I too am no longer on Shwarzbein--loved her book, philosophy etc...--GAINED weight and felt bloated). Tried to go back to Atkins Induction --lost nothing--tried Meat fast eating only roast turkey (I roasted it myself) and legal veggies for a week and GAINED more weight! I was up to 159--Out of desparation (and panic), I started Atkins Fat Fast a week ago Tuesday--did that for 4 days, then started Modified Fat fast--anyway at least as of yesterday I was down to 154.4 (I won't even count it as that unless I am there today--however, I had been holding at 155 for the last 4 days. I guess this tells me that my body needs a higher fat to protein ratio with really low carbs.

Carol