Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/146/130
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Sugar alcohols

My daughter and I are both on a low-carb diet, primarily following the Atkins version. Today we purchased sugar-free candies that have 13 grams per 4-piece serving. The label states that each serving has 21 grams of carbs. It also states under the carbohydate heading that is has 0 dietary fiber, and 21 grams of maltitol (a sugar alcohol). My daughter tells me that we can subtract the 21 grams of maltitol from the total carb. count of 21 and end up with 0 carbs. Is she correct? Would that give us a "zero" carb count?

By the way, we purchased 4 different brands of candies, sugar-free Russell Stover caramels; sugar-free Cream Savers; Baskin and Robbins sugar-free hard candy; and sugar-free Go Lightly creme chews. They all have sugar alcohol contents that when subtracted from the total carb. count comes out to "zero."

Thank you in advance for answering.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 18:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/143/130
BF:
Progress: 78%
Thumbs up

Hello nostalgic!
I am a new member to the forum but have been reading along for quite a while. I was looking for an answer to this question myself but was unable to find the SF russell stovers addressed.
I was scared... but I bought a variety of the sugar free russell stovers chocolates and the sugar free cream savers a few weeks ago.... Oh they are wonderful! I had forgotten that chocolate was not chalky!! I have now replaced the low carb bars I have been eating as snacks with the sugar free russell stovers!! If you compare labels, they both contain maltitol...so I see no difference in eating them vs the commercial low carb bars! Eating them has had no affect on my cravings or weight loss thus far!
In the Dr Atkin's new diet revolution book , it says that yes you can subtract the sugar alcohol from total carbs to get net carbs which impact blood sugar! This is in the "Eating in the real world" chapter, pg 243. You must get the book!! I would avoid these products during induction and I am sure that some people will say avoid them all together. But for me, they are great as an occassional treat!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

ANY candy made with sugar alcohols (any brand, even Russell Stover) has calories and may have 'hidden carbs'.

Many folks use the Hidden Carb Inspector to estimate net effective carbs (divides calories by 4 to get a rough estimate of net carbs), if they feel they are or may be adversely affected by the sugar alcohols. See the orange menu bar above, click on TOOLS, and then plug in calories, and fat, protein grams, hit enter... very helpful. Remember that calories mean there are protein, fat and carb grams out there (well except for alcohol, but it's even a kind of carb) ... only NO calories means NO effect.

There is only one way to tell, and that's to try them and see. If you are diabetic or hypoglycemic you are MUCH more likely to notice an effect (other than the laxative effect that is). I do recommend strongly that you don't get into any of the fake/sugar treats until you have completed Induction successfully AND you've got to know both your own metabolisms and the low carb way of life a lot better...

A couple of other things I'd recommend as a long time low carber and moderator re candy and blood sugar:
1- if it's candy, treat with caution and use only as fairly rare treats because the whole point of low carb is to stay away from refined carbs because they can affect blood sugar for up to 30% or more of all folks. Cravings are triggered by blood sugar. If you really really want them, you've got cravings.
2- read here about low carb and sugar alcohols, there's lots of experience and information here (start with the orange menu bar above, click on TIPS and read the sugar alcohols and sweeteners articles).

There is specific information about induction and limits and net carbs etc. at the www.atkinscenter.org from the ATKINS point of view.

We also have a great Newbie's Questions and Introductions forum, super helpful for new folks to low carb.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Feb-17-03 at 13:14.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:04

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I'd just like to add that while they may be strictly legal, many of us have an insulin reaction to sugar alcohols no different from eating real sugar. I've tried this out frequently since 2000. When I eat a product with maltitol, I always weigh 2 pounds more the next day. It just isn't worth it.

Sugar alcohols give you gas too.