Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%
Default Toronto - Queens Pasta Cafe

I bought some soy flour "low carb" lasagna sheets at Queens Pasta Cafe in Bloor West Village (not the restaurant, the store). Too bad they could not tell me the carb count, but the smell was certainly soy flour.

The sheets were quite large (standard lasagna pan size - about 7 x 9 inches?) and I got 15 sheets for $9.00.

I made a LC lasanga and it turned out better than I hoped. The noodles soak up the tomato sauce flavour and I could not detect the soya taste (I can't stand the taste of soy - it needs to be masked or I will toss out). I used 2 layers (2 sheets) for the short lasanga, using a standard lasagna pan, and I used 4 layers (1 sheet cut up into 3 sections) for the small loaf pans - yes I made lots to freeze. I made 1 large and 3 small, and I still have about 8 sheets left.

I do hope to get the carb count eventually, but I see you can make a lasanga using only 2 sheets, making it a low carb meal.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:41
Registered Member

Stats: 220/158/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Do you have the ingredients? I am in maintenance and usually buy ones similar to these....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 20:43

No, these were fresh - no ingredients provided and there was no packaging. However, the scent of soy flour was strong, so I could tell it was made with soy flour. Plus my blood sugar did not raise much (I am a type 1 Diabetic, so anything but low carb sends my blood sugar high) so I can "trust" the product.

I did not need to boil the noodles - just added water to the tomato sauce.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 11:09

Stats: 170/165/150 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Smile Hello from Queen's Pasta

Hey StephZ,

We in the HACCP/QC Dept. of Queen's Pasta wish to advise that as of tommorrow, the spec sheet for this product will be available to any customer who wishes. We're glad that you enjoyed it. This formulation has 10 g net carbs per 85 g uncooked serving. We'll be making some flavoured LC pastas (garlic & parsley, tarragon) in the near future (which gives a delicious aroma). Look for QP fresh gourmet pasta in supermarkets by the Autumn. Until then we appreciate your patronage of the QP factory outlets.

Buon Appetito,
Jonny HACCP/QC
Queens Pasta Factory
Toronto, ON

P.S. : Longo's, Alex Farms, Cheese Mongers amongst numerous others also carry QP fresh pasta products.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hey, Jonny, what's an HACCP/QC ??!!??

and would you consider shipping some of this tarragon-flavoured pasta out to the coast?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 16:14

Ok, now I can compute (I was slacking off, about calling Queens Pasta to get the counts) - thanks for responding, Jonny. Are you a lawyer?

1 sheet is about 90 grams. So the carb count on the large lasanga was 40 grams for the pasta, some for the cheese and mushrooms and zero for the beef. Maybe 55 grams total divided by 9 very large servings = 6.11 total grams. Pretty good.

I did share the lasanga with my non LC pals, who loved it.

Will Queens Pasta cafe restuarant be serving Low Carb Lasagna in the future? I hope so, I used to eat there alot. Will the Queens Pasta cafe be making LC meals for take out in the future...worth the drive to Bloor West Village.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 18:37

I can't multiply.

That is 2 sheets at 10 carbs each = 20 carbs for the pasta noodles. add another 15 grams for the sauce, cheese and mushrooms - that is 35 grams divided by 9 = less than 4 grams per serving. Even better.

I highly recommend this pasta noodle.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 07:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph z
Ok, now I can compute (I was slacking off, about calling Queens Pasta to get the counts) - thanks for responding, Jonny. Are you a lawyer?

1 sheet is about 90 grams. So the carb count on the large lasanga was 40 grams for the pasta, some for the cheese and mushrooms and zero for the beef. Maybe 55 grams total divided by 9 very large servings = 6.11 total grams. Pretty good.

I did share the lasanga with my non LC pals, who loved it.

Will Queens Pasta cafe restuarant be serving Low Carb Lasagna in the future? I hope so, I used to eat there alot. Will the Queens Pasta cafe be making LC meals for take out in the future...worth the drive to Bloor West Village.

---------------------------
Dear Steph Z,
Sorry, not a lawyer! Just a lowly HACCP/QC Consultant.
Glad you liked the pasta -- I'll pass your questions on to Louis, the Chef at the cafe and let you know.
Best regards,
Jon Davies
HACCP/QC
Queen's Pasta
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyHACCP
---------------------------
Jon Davies
HACCP/QC
Queen's Pasta

Hey, Jonny, you should add the website to your Profile....yum.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 13:52

BF:

Hi Island Girl, great idea! I didn't know you could do that.

Cheers,
Jon
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 07:23

BF:
Default Queen's Pasta HACCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Hey, Jonny, what's an HACCP/QC ??!!??

and would you consider shipping some of this tarragon-flavoured pasta out to the coast?

Dear Island Girl,

HACCP/QC stands for "Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point/Quality Control" which are food safety terms. Our plant is certified as HACCP bt the Federal government.

Re: Availability on the coast, I'll pass your query on to the sales people.
Best regards,
Jon Davies,
HACCP/QC
Queen's Pasta
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:55

Stats: 290/203/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:40%/20%/17%
Progress: 109%

Steph you can't make a decent lasagna with only 2 layers of pasta . Gotta do 4 minimum, thus your 40 grams for the pasta.

Sounds tasty though. I might have to pick some up.

Mike
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 19:25

I used to use more layers, or I would shudder when thinking about the fat content in the meat and cheese. No more - lots of sauce, and meat and cheese. It was a "low rise" lasanga - but I did make a taller one with 4 layers, in a small bread loaf pan. I have quite a bit in the freezer - makes a quick meal or work, lunch.