Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 09:11

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Angry Help! sick with strep, suddenly out of Ketosis

What in the world is it now? I've followed all the rules but I'm out of Ketosis again. T.O.M. is bad enough, then I got strep and a round of miserable antibiotics to take. With all my woes I stuck to it and still went out of ketosis and gained three pounds. What do I do now? I was really on a roll before this happened.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 09:18

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Whoa! Hold up there!

Okay you say you are sick and taking antibiotics. Running a fever? Drinking lots of fluids I take it, like the doctor recommends?

If you are using the Ketostix it could be the antibiotics are effecting their turn color and the 3 pounds you "gained" is just water retention and will flush out once you are no longer sick. Body tends to retain water if running a fever.

Stick with your eating plans, wait out your illness before jumping to conclusions that you are doing something wrong.

I hope you get to feeling better soon and find that the weigh gain is only temporary due to being ill.

#3   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 09:32

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy ME TOO!

I've been sick since last Friday with a head cold. I'm not taking any meds...but I know it has to be from being sick. Waited it out...and remeber sugar and carbs slow down the healing process...so they WON'T make you feel better.
Hope you get well soon...strip is awful!
Smile,
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 09:42

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, guys. I can't believe what a fight it is to get into ketosis and stay there. I can't say I'm new to the diet since I started almost a year ago, but it seems like I'm always back on induction. Finding out about the hazards of equal and diet cokes made a big difference, then I got sick and was completely out of ketosis on a meat, cheese and water only diet! But I feel better about it now. Thanks for your encouragement, I'll tough it out. With only 10, (now 13!) pounds to go I'm just going to focus on my goal and wait out the hormones and the strep. Once I get back on track, will I go out of ketosis with every TOM? Do you gain the whole time your sticks aren't turning?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 09:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Jennifer,

Don't worry too much about ketones, they can be unnoticable in some people, yet they still lose. Some show dark, but don't lose. This is explained that ketones may indicate fat burn, but not only body fat, it may be the fat from your food. Follow what works for you, and don't let the colour get you down

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 09:57

BF:
Progress:
Default Gosh I hope not!

I gain 5 lbs...for about a week. Then today {and I'm still sick} I was back down the 5 lbs. I figure it will go up and down until i feel better. The day I'm the sickest seems to be when the water holds on. Maybe we'll get well soon and be back on a roll again!
Smile,
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 13:23

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Just hang in there ladies.

I do hope both of you feel better soon. I wish there was more I could do than just words of encouragment.

#8   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 18:41

BF:
Progress:
Smile

Thanks agonycat!