Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

also, what would you like to see this store provide for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 10:03

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default YES!!!!

Well, I certainly would, but I'm in Vancouver, not in Orilla, so I don't know how much use that is to you!!!

I'd be interested in ANYTHING low carb - all in one place - heaven! Baking supplies (soy flour, oat flour, unsweetened coconut, flavourings), etc.; soy and whey proteins; canned soy beans; nuts and seeds; anything sweetened with Splenda; vitamins...any LC treats we can't buy in Canada without mail-ordering; decent pork rinds; plan books and cookbooks; oh, what else, I dunno. I don't think you're going to open a store here in Vancouver's West End just for me, Karen, Wa'il, and....? who else?, but thanks for asking!

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 10:19

BF:

Awwww Rachel...

Not at this time..but would love some feed back on this...thus the survey....Your feed back is wonderful....Thanks

Wendy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 10:36

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i'd love a lowcarb store! i think it would be fantastic. i may have to make a trip up to orillia. it's only about an hour away from ajax. i just love lake simcoe. it's one of the prettiest lakes, this coming from someone who thinks heaven will look like ontario.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 10:46

BF:

Hey Deb,

That would be kewl

What do you folks think of with an exchange on used clothing? when one looses weight one can come in with that item and pick another item smaller..thus taking away the expense on a new wardrobe before reaching ones goal?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 10:49

BF:

your brain must be going a mile a minute wendy!!! personally, i don't buy used clothes, but there sure is a market for it out there. ajax isn't a very big town, but we have at least 5 shops that i can think of just off hand.
i think you could also sell vitamins and supplements and maybe natural body products. sort of like a whole health kind of store.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 11:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I would definitly support a local low-carb store in my area.

It would be great to have all your low-carb needs in one place. Some products may not be low-carb, but useful to low-carbers, such as flax seed/oil, gluten flour and things people have visit 10 stores to pick each time from a store that carries it.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 11:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Wendy,

Yes, I just might have to move from Kingston (planning to anyway). The other folks have given some good ideas too. Can't really think of much to add. I like the idea of it being a total lifestyle store, ie, carrying not just lowcarb groceries, but also supplements, books and cookbooks, kitchen gadgets like proper measuring tools, food scales, etc. , small porcelain or plaster-cast figurines of St. Atkins -- Ooops, did I say that?? ..

A clothing exchange could work very well, just have some rules set out, such as freshly laundered, on hangers and in good repair. I tend to wear my clothes until they're worn out, especially jeans. Even my way-too-big size 18 jeans I'm hanging onto, for I do have days when my tender-points are flared, and loose baggy clothing is the order of the day. On the other hand, I have quite a few beautiful blouses, sweaters and dresses from back in my size 8 days (yes, only a decade ago .. ) and I know I will NEVER be that tiny ever again .... and don't wish to be either.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 12:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
hi Wendy,

...small porcelain or plaster-cast figurines of St. Atkins -- Ooops, did I say that?? ..

Doreen

What about St. Eades? Don't you make novenas to St. Eades?

Perhaps glow in the dark, fridge magnets of the "saints"?

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 13:15
Registered Member

Stats: 250/205/135
BF:
Progress:
Talking

I think that everyone has summed up for me! I would love one in Edmonton!....If only I was rich then I could make our wish come true!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 13:25

BF:

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I would like to ask all of you also, (remember keep this in mind if you had this type of place in your City, Town)....would a diet work shop interest you within this store?

Would you use if supplied.... also a type of drop in center in this store? A place where you can meet friends that are also low carbing...to sit and relax enjoy some low carb bakery..etc...?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 13:31

BF:

i never seem to have time to sit around and chat, but judging by the coffe shops in ajax (one on every corner), lots of people do!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 05:36

BF:

Would anyone who had a low carb store like this near them, use diet workshops should the store have them?

and secondly, would anyone use a drop in centre sort of thing in the store.....you know, couches in a back corner sort of thing where one can sit and chit chat with others and have some low carb goodies on hand, read etc....?

Really would appreciate comments on these questions, again this is only a survey for a business plan.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 07:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default LC Store

Hi Wendy,

If you don'tmind me suggesting a few things that I have seen that seem to work great in the area I spend the winter in the south here goes:

One of the stores that I frequent has set up it's structure along the same lines you are suggesting. (Florida seems to be very progressive with LC and of course the vast population helps support more steamlined stores.) These folks have a bakery and small eatery as well as a vast selection of LC Products; supplements; and are now educating their staff to help answer questions that may be posed by new LCarbers. ( I think that is a very important key.) The last time I frequented that store, they also had several staff members that were following this WOL and as a result were very enthusistic when a new LC Product was introduced. They also carried many products to cater to a larger population range and probably had to do so to keep the store operational. Just wondering if you have done a survey as to whether the population in your area would support such an endeavour or if you are planning to sell online as well. As you are probably aware it is very hard to establish and keep a business operational without many drawing cards to keep repeat customers returning.

#15   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 07:52

BF:

Hi Bonnie,

Thank-you for your feed back.

I thought an area where one could sit with a drink and LC treat would be nice. I sure don't want to go to some donut store to do this.

Yes also on the employee's, I would like to make sure they are well informed and also following the woe like myself.

The only thing I have done so far is, create posters and put them up all over town, still have some more ideas of where to put some up. I was hoping on creating a support group first, to see who is low carbing and thus the beginnings of a Cliental! So far only one call on this tactic!