Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 08:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%
Question strange female problems

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had these problems?

1) I have started my TOM agin..grrrrrr after two yrs. in menopause.
( it comeregularly every month)

2) Is anyone tired? I read how people have so much energy but mine has disappeared.

Thanks for any in put.

Pattie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 11:21

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I can't answer the first question. That's just something I've never heard of. I'd maybe have a doctor check that out, though.

For the latter, yes, my energy isn't quite the same as when I started either. However, it's still leaps and bounds above what I came from. No longer a couch potato. Now I'm more like a pool lizard. LOL.

~Angi~
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 12:38

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I heard someone here say something about fat storing Estrogen and when you lose weight it releases it...Maybe that peson has the answer more solidly?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 12:45

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Wow TOM of month again? Perhaps you are so healthy now that your body thinks you can make babies again

Yes, it is true that when we release fat, estrogen is released (as are all sorts of toxins) at that time.

I have lack of energy but I know it is because I have a severe candida infection (it is REALLY improving lately). I suggest items like calcium, magnesium and potassium to help you with the energy. I also take the standard beta-carotene 25,000 iu, vitamin c (ester form, 500 mg) and vitamin E 400 iu as vitamin supplements. I think it is important to take chromium, L-carnitine and L-glutamine as well.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:38

Plan: pp
Stats: 167.6/164/140 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

Go get it checked out. It may have nothing to do with the diet.
Best of luck.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:08

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%

Definitely call your doctor about getting your TOM again after 2 years off-after 1 year, you're supposed to be post-menopausal!

As for the energy-are you getting plenty of high-quality protein plus lots of veggies and lots of water? Take your supplements and don't forget to exercise. There is sometimes a delicate balance between eating as much food as your body really needs to function properly and not overdoing it. If you eat the allowed foods until you are comfortable, then STOP, you should have energy and lose weight, too.

Have you had your thyroid checked? It's an infamous source of lack of energy. Are you getting enough sleep? Most Americans don't-I'm guilty of this one, too...

Hang in there, we're all with you--

#7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From what I understand the first few years of menopause your period will be really irregular, but can occasionaly come. This was based on my mom though who went through early. It may be different.

Yes estrogen is stored in fat. That is why it is difficult for overweight women to concieve, and also why bc pills containing estrogen can effect weight loss. Most women on LC experience problems in TOM for the first couple of months, then things regulate out, and alot say thier PMS has never been better.

For me, I take the ddepo shot so normally I don't have to worry about periods. I havn't had one in around 3 months. Today I'm spotting though. All I can say is I had better have that after TOM woosh everyone talks about if I'm going to have to put up with the TOM dammit.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:03

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%
Exclamation Estrogen stored in fat?

Well, I guess that explains why I haven't had any hot flashes since starting LC...

Please...allow me to ellaborate

When I decided to start Atkins, I read DANDR...it said that HRT could slow the effectiveness of a LC diet. So, I stopped wearing my harmone patch 3 days into the diet. I was afraid I'd start having hot flashes (had only 1 in the hospital...I NEVER WANT ANOTHER ONE), but they did not come.

So...when I reach my goal weight, I suppose I'll have to go back to the patch.

Oh, well...AS LONG AS I NEVER HAVE ANOTHER HOT FLASH...EVER!!!

S

#9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:28

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default I had low energy too

So I read my DANDR again and Dr. Atkins recommends a B12 supplement. Got some and it's been working for me. It's also important to reconsider what you think to be low energy. I used to vibrate due to sugar highs and then being balanced on this WOL I kept thinking I had no energy. Something to ponder anyways.

As for the first issue, I've read taht several women experienced heavier flows during their TOM and I did as well although it's balanced out again in the third month. Perhaps your body is just adjusting. If you're really concerned, talk to you doctor. Otherwise, mother nature is just having some fun with you!

Take care!

Nicole