Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 14:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/170/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Could it be...

that this diet just isn't for everyone. Even though I've had fairly lengthy periods where I'm very cheat-free, the pounds are not exactly falling off. In fact, in the beginning, my carb cravings(for sweets) did diminish quite a bit, but I've found that they've returned of late. Because of the slow weight loss(not what I expected) and the quick weight gains, even if you only go off for one day and then return to low-carbing, I'm finding it very difficult to stay motivated on this things. It's very frustrating to be watching what you eat meticulously and then to get on the scale and see no loss.

I really thought that my problem was carbs and that this diet was going to be the ONE. I know myself, and if I was seeing steady losses, I would have the motivation to forge ahead. But, unfortunately, the when you're trying and not losing, it's easy to say, "why bother?"

So what do you guys think? Is this maybe not the diet for everyone? Some of you have lost a ton of weight in such a short time!!! These were the results that I had expected.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 14:56

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

It's the intermitent cheats with their resultant gain of fluid weight that slow most people down. Every time your body is loaded with carbs, the liver quickly will store them as glycogen (along with additional water). It takes about 3 days for the body to deplete the liver's glycogen supply, and get back to metabolizing fat for energy. So Your body is, in a way, starting over with the weight loss.

Also, with this WOE, weight loss will be rapid at first (the body loses the water stored with the glycogen and generally loses water from all tissues), but then slows down to a steady pace. It is not a quick-weight loss diet. Since it seems you have been on the plan only a few weeks, you have probably reached the "slow" weight loss phase where your body adjusts for a week or two with almost no weight loss. Be patient, eat what Dr. Atkins says to in his book, drink LOTS of water, and you will find an overall downward trend in your weight. You only have about 30 lbs total to lose, which will not fall off as quickly as the weight people with 50+ lbs lose.

You also should check to see if you're taking the nutritional supplements that will reduce your carb cravings (L-glutamine is fantastic for that). Avoiding cheats will help you lose a bit faster.

Lastly, YOU have to decide if you want to eat this way. It is not just a diet where you go on it till you lose the weight. It's a lifelong way of eating that will shed the pounds and keep them off. If you can't do without the carb-loaded foods, then perhaps you should check out some of the other plans (the first link to the right should help you).

Hope this helps.

Joan
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 15:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Im sure you will lose weight faster on this diet then any other. There are other low carb diets you might want to check out, but if you understand how our bodies work, you will know that this the most effective way. You can cut out fat and calories, but what you are left with is high carbs foods, which may actually make you gain weight. You need to fully committ to this WOL, otherwise it simply wont work. There are no miracle diets that will make you lose weight as fast as you want. Im suspecting you might not be doing it correctly, I know assumptions are bad, but Im getting that vibe. I fell off the wagon for the my birthday, I packed on 3lbs, and I havent lost any weight since. I deffinatly learned my lesson, but Im not blaming the diet for failing me, I failed myself. You will get out of this what you put into it. If you feel that you have given it 100% and you are still not happy, then maybe it truly isnt the right diet for you. This diet is very hard, especially in western cultures. There are so many factors that can contribute to why you arent losing weight. Are you cheating, not drinking enough water, not eating enough fat, are there hidden carbs? If you are truly metabolically resistant, then other diets wont work any better. I dont think you should give up quite yet. I personally think that the fat fast is a great way to jump start your metabolism, maybe you should check that out. The grass isnt always greener on the other side, and you may find yourself alot less happy after you abanden LC eating.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 15:50
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Default Do the Bup!

The Bup!

Sounds like a dance... do the bup, yeh, do the bup!

You indicated that you have been on the program and you have lost seven pounds according to your little chart thingie. 7 pounds in a month aint bad, but you said you had some cheats. For every day of cheating you have it will set you back 3 to 5 days.
So, do this: HONESTLY determine how many cheat days or days over 20 carbs you have had (e.g. 5) Multiply the number of cheat days you have had times the average set back time of 4 days (e.g. 5 x 4 = 20) and then subtract the total from how many days you have been on the diet (e.g. 35 days - 20 days lost due to cheats = 15 days). Then determine if the 7 pounds you have lost during the time frame is acceptable.
My guess is that you are losing normally when you factor in the cheat days. mad
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

I know some people are resitant and take more time to loose, try it for a while longer and if you dont feel it is right for you, then change!

Last edited by Meghan : Sat, Sep-06-03 at 17:15.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 16:46

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

The best diet for you is usually one you are happy about and can stick with. Consistency will prove the most successful over time. While I have truly gone through long periods without losses (I've been at this game for almost a year now) I consistently feel very good about the fuel I'm feeding my body and am much smaller, lighter, and healthier than before. No it may not work for everybody, but it's better to give it a good try, see if you can adapt your lifestyle around it (I sure did), and hopefully the weight lost will be just ONE of the benefits.

Good luck!