Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 15:18

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:
Default My kid is doing great- day 3

My 15 yr old son is on day 3 of lo-carb (modified to be like the Schwarzbein principle). Even with lunch packing (by me) he hasn't squawked yet! So glad 'cause he really needs to get off the sweets. How are your kiddies??

YB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 09:14

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default kids

Hi Yogabuff,
My little 9 year old has gotten kind of pudgy the last year or two. He was embarrassed to wear his bathingsuit last summer because of his weight. So...I have been trying to make sure he is more active and watch what he eats. But it is so hard to tell him he can't have something his other siblings are having. I don't want to put him on a DIET, but I've tried to feed him like I eat. He's not crazy about salads like I am. So mainly I am trying to steer him away from the sweets. And we are doing walks together, partly for me, partly for him...Hopefully in the long run this will help.
Thanks for starting this thread, with so many kids overweight now a days I'm sure there are plenty that have this concern. Victoria
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 09:50

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Me, too.... please

hi!

I have an 11 year daughter who is getting heavy, too.

She wants to lose weight and has seen me try to do Induction. Also, she has seen me falter, too.

Peer pressure is tough and especially here where we live, everyone is a blond, blue eyed twig!!! Honestly - Stepford Village!!! (like the movie if you know it.)

How can I get her started and help her with dealing with the questions at lunch?? Did you change your childs lunch slowly or just decide one day and did it?

I want to help her, so any advice would be great.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:15

BF:
Progress:

Victoria, hi!

That's about the age my son was when he started gaining. It was a really bad year for him-- best friend in the neighborhood moved away--had the teacher from he$$ that year( we are quite strict, but this teacher was just a bitter woman--luckily, he was one of her favorites, but her screaming and threats at the class unnerved him) -- and he started going to the cupboards and the fridge for 'comfort'. We tried to gently stear him away from this behavior(like you describe) but then he started football at 10, and every year, would try to lose -successfully --15-20# by'dieting' and the yo-yo-ing started. Now, like all of us on this board, he's a victim of the backlash of lo-cal, lo-fat dieting.

Luckily, he can work out a couple of days a week at the school fitness room, because otherwhise, he's pretty sedentary (computers- ) I try not to say too much to him-- he's been 'on to us' for a long time, he knows when we're trying to 'help' him. Yet he's unhappy with his weight. He gets many negative comments- always has.

Now, I'm just straight with him-- if he mentionshis weight I just said-- would you like me to help you eat less sugar and starches, cause that seems to be your problem area? It doesn't help that his brother is slim and athletic.

Thin Me-- I got a kick out of your Stepford Children. If I didn;t see that you lived in Ill., I'd have thought we were in the same town. At 15 , I think my son is a little easier to deal with on LC, because he himslf wants this. But, I'm not going to kid myself that he's seen his last milkdud. I know that when he and his buds go to the movies, or stay up late at each others house to sit up and play computer games, that he's always gonna watch his carbs.
I just want to change MOST of his eating habits, and try to keep a sense of humor while I'm doing it.

I think you can just start making changes in the lunches ( anbd the other two meals, and at her age ( and your son;s,Victoria) you have more of a chance to have some control over what's offered to them. Wait till they can drive to their favorite restaurant and pig out-- thats when you really worry

I'm no expert--But I wouldn't shoot for perfection on this- or being in ketosis, even-- these are KIDS, and they share food at school and eat at other peoples houses, so.....

YB
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:33
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Wink My success ? so far

My daughter is definitely becoming a LC person except for candy. What I do is show and tell her how she acts and how she feels when she does eat candy. (I don't know if anyone else has notice this but have any of you eated some candy while LCing and noticed what happens to you? It seems it takes just a little sugar to do what lots of sugar did before. Headaches, irritability)
So she is eating, or at least trying to eat less sugar.

My son is now finding creative ways to hid/ get rid of his meat.
He also uses his money to buy chips, crackers, candy. This worries me. I mean how many of us hid our eating from others and how did it affect us? Hmmm.. I should tell him about my own hidding of food and tell him what happened...

During Christmas vacation I'm taking off time from my job to be with my children. This would be a great time to really show them the LC lifestyle I would like them to go on and they would see results I am sure.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:51

BF:
Wink Thanks for your reply!!

Hi Yogabuff and A thin me!
I too was overweight as a young child, so I know how difficult it is. My Mom took me to a doctor when I was 8, and from then on I could tell you how much I weighed at every age and grade. It became such a focus for me. When my other children gained a little, I just suggested to stop eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before bed. Because I have always been aware of my weight and struggle with it, I never wanted to see my children have the same problems. With my youngest, it seems like it started when he started staying inside to play nintendo rather than going outside to play. He's always been one to want MORE of everything too. Now he sees me lose weight so he is willing to change his ways some. But I don't want him to feel like he's on a diet. Because diets make you want to sneak food!! So I give him a good breakfast with enough protein to start the day, instead of the typical bowl of cereal. I do let him have a hot lunch at school depending what it is, or I make a turkey sandwich with low carb bread and an apple. Something like that. And for dinner I either feed him like I eat or watch his portions. He usually wants toast or something before bed, so lately I've been providing nuts or other snacks that aren't as carby. But no DIET. I don't want him to feel deprived, but we definitely need to get him out and moving more.

He is aware of the weight thing, but I hope to turn it around before it becomes a lifetime struggle. He knows he needs to make changes, but he is a kid. I told him maybe he could stay away from 'candy' til Christmas. We'll see if we see somes changes. What I'm hoping for is a growth spurt. When my older son started growing UP his little pudginess slimmed right down. I think it will take a little more effort with my youngest. But now that I've found some hope, I'm hoping we can change things for him too. Thanks for listening!!!! Victoria
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 18:17

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Tuff question!

Hi all! My youngest son also has a wt issue. As did I in later youth. He just started BB and I am thrilled. Exercise has been an issue since he dislocated his knee this summer on a Scout outing.
He did Atkins with me last yr for about 2 wks. I helped him plan lunches and he helped me grill dinner. He lost 9-1/2 lbs but couldn't resist the donuts at an outing and like a true CA (carb addict) he then couldn't seem to stop the binge.
We did talk his about the detox process and his feelings attached to the food. The pressure seemed too great though so I just backed off. Because of the increased cost involved also I wasn't willing to do steak, shrimp, salmon and supplements only to follow up with a donut chaser. (probably a mistake on my part)
I told him he was welcome to start again when he was ready and he asked this week! This time I told him he needed to read some of the literature first and then we would discuss what it would take to make it work. Obviously age, maturity etc plays a huge role in these decisions which are so difficult. I'm also concerned about planning enough carbs for him considering his practice load of 3x week 1-1/2hrs/per. Any suggestions? I realize all plans vary but I'm concerned about too low of a count for his physical demands. Thanks!
Bsayne
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 09:36

BF:
Progress:

Boy, it seems so many of us have kids in the same boat! Lessara, I think you're right to relate your experiences with him. He may not pay a ton of attention, but there will come a time, he'll say- boy, Mom was right, I feel really crummy after eating sweets .

I was a skinny kid. We ate a lot of meat, fish, cheese, butter, vegetables from our garden, and were too poor to have junk like chips, sweets, and pop in the house unless it was a special occasion. I began eating crappy when I moved out from home and began buying that junk myself. Hubby, too. I guess we're guilty of having that stuff around the whole time my sons were little. It never rubbed off on my oldest-- he's always eaten healthy. My youngest I always called the cookie monster.
I'm hoping a (modified LC--I don't think it's important to be really harsh here) WOL will make my son see that the very LEAST he should do is be aware of the starches and sugars going into his mouth.
Good luck moms, and thanks for all the responses!

YB
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/186/125
BF:
Progress:

Hey, everyone! I was so glad to find this forum. 2 of my 3 kids are overweight. My youngest is slim, but I can see how carbs affect her. I bought the Carb-Addicts book for kids. It really has a lot of useful information. It suggests make small changes one at a time for younger kids and a jump start program for teens & older kids. My middle child is 8 and weighs 120 pounds. He has asthma & really needs to get the weight off. The program lets them make choices and add a new choice each week (new food, new activity, etc.). I am not done reading the book but am going to try to get started with it this weekend! Wish me luck and let me know how all of you are getting along!

Lori
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 19:17

BF:
Thumbs up Carb Addict's Book for kids?

hi lori,
I didn't know that they had written a book geared for children. Thanks for the info, I will look for it. I am always happy to hear book recommendations. I agree it has to be little changes. I am the one who provided the sweet tooth addiction. So slowly, my shopping has steered toward healthy and less sugary empty calories. But I would have a complete mutany if I didn't provide something "FUN" once and a while. As it is they are grumbling because I don't buy the sugary cereals anymore. But since I eat better, they are eating better as well. Again thanks for the info. Victoria
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 22:15

BF:
Default Thanks Lori!

Hello all and thanks for all the great suggestions. Sounds like someones done the research so I'm gonna look for that book also. Best of luck to all and looking forward to the updates.

Bsayne
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 14:21

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi

How is LC going for your child? I am curious because my daughter is ready and I could use some suggestions....
and encouragement.

Thanks
A Thin Me
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157.5/152.5/135
BF:
Progress: 22%

I have a 10 year old that is a carb addict. Does anyone have any LC suggestions for the lunch box?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 09:09

BF:
Default Just a quick thought!

I take large lettuce leaves top with LC Deli meats (not preformed)
add cheese, mayo and toll up with saran wrap for a LC deli wrap and I have small cheap plastic cont that I have made chicken salad, tuna salad and put the greens in a separate bowl and the dressing either packets or small double ziploc bag. I always make sure I put a fruit but I try to avoid bananas...berries, melons or apples in a pinch. Cheese sticks! and vienna sausages in a pinch! Pork rinds or baked cheese snacks...celery w/crm cheese or PB...Just a few that come to mind...I avoid soda and go for cool water bottles or 0 cal juice flav water sometimes we do the real juice drinks but I try to water them down. If they don't like it, it won't work! I think just cutting back on simple sugars and white flour goes a long way!

Best of Luck!
Bsayne
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 08:31

BF:
Wink

Great suggestions Bsayne!!! Your last statement is wonderful, " I think just cutting back on simple sugars and white flour goes a long way!" With kids they have to like what they are eating, to be willing to eat. I know that sounds over simplified, but it's too true. I make sandwiches for them, but I buy breads that have more whole grains in them. I give them fruit, and nuts, but have been avoiding the overprocessed sugary snacks. I'm just thinking small changes for the kids is more do-able than something too drastic that they end up rebelling against. But, since I'm not being a sugar-aholic anymore, the quantity of sweets have been cut way down in the family. Victoria