Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 19:06

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Question LC breakfast cereal advice, anyone?

For those of you who have tried keto cereals (or any other LC cereals for that matter), could you please let me know which ones you REALLY ENJOYED? I'm planning on ordering some to give my breakfast some variety and up my fiber. But I don't want to spent good money on awful tasting food. Any advice?

Nadz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/221/190 Female 5'7"
BF:49.5%/48.5%/25%
Progress: 0%

I've had the Flaxomeal Granola in Cherry Nutrageous and it was really good. If you're sensitive to sugar alcohols, be careful though.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 19:28

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Call me crazy but I liked the Keto Cocoa Crisp with some chocolate Soy Slender. The reg. Keto Crisp was okay..I liked the choc. more though. FlaxOMeal is good too, but nothing special that you can't duplicate for alot less $$.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 20:27

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I make a homemade hot cereal that I got from the recipes forum here.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130686

check it out at:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 20:57

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

I like the Keto Banana Nut hot cereal to which I had a little butter and cream. It's the only hot LC cereal that I've found that I enjoy enough to actually have a "craving" for in the a.m. Although the portion seems small, it does tend to fill me up.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Keto Hot Cereal

I know it's all personal taste, some people find them absolutely inedible, but I really like the Keto Hot Cereal Apple Cinnamon flavor. The directions call for 3 oz. water (but that makes it like a brick), I've experimented and have ended up using 6 oz. of water and it is fine to me. My non-LCing husband tasted it once and claimed it tasted like "some bizarre applesauce." Good luck on your LC journey!!!

EDIT: I think I read over on the LC Products forum that the Old Fashioned Oatmeal flavor left something to be desired, so I stayed away from it.

Last edited by paradise : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 23:26.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 01:39

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

The other evening I picked up a box of Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus for my daughter who was seriously missing her raisin bran.

I ate a little bit of it (1/4 cup) with a quarter cup of raspberries, half-and-half and Splenda. It was worthy!

One serving is 3/4 cup, with 15 grams of NET carbs (that's why I only eat 1/4 cup ) and has 7 grams of fiber.

I'm not sure what the original price is on this cereal; it was on sale at Fred Meyer for $2.50 for a 13.25 oz. box.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 06:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/162/137 Female 5 foot 2inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I hated all the hot slimy cereals -it was really a texture thing for me!

I use the keto crunch cereals. They have frosted flakes, apple flavour and orginal. I think the coco cruunch (or whatever is called tastes pretty artificial - but some people like it)

The Keto crisp frosted flakes - is a bit like Frosties - but I can eat a much smaller portiion . I use cream diluted with water instead of milk. I find it has a pleasant taste and a nice crunchy texture - it does have sugar alcohols though - I am not sensitive to them but if you are buyer beware!!!

Claire

Last edited by usedtobero : Mon, Oct-27-03 at 06:40.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I like the KETO Coco Krisp kind. It doesn't taste a thing like cocoa krispies, so don't go in expecting that, but the taste isn't bad and it's very filling. Atkins recently put out a new line of breakfast cereals in the morning start line. I really like the blueberry almond one.

KETO frosted flakes are soso. They are hard though and have that dense soy cardboardy texture.

Hot cereals I have the KETO banana nut one. No clue why since I don't like banana flavored things :\ I was disapointed in it. It turne dout extreamly runny and not at all filling.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:29
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I like the Keto hot blueberry. I add more water than called for and let it sit before I eat it, other wise the texture is like stems and seeds... I add butter, not cream. I would have hated it before this WOE but now that I am used to the weird textures and have sugar out of my system, it tastes good to me.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 11:09

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Soybean taste

I get tired of the soybean taste and consistency - I like it sure but if you get cereals and pasta everything tastes the same - like soybeans.

I love the Flaxomeal Butter Pecan, Carbsense hazelnut and Spice hot cereals

Chocolate Keto Crisp is excellent but addictive - don't get the soybean taste from this.

Regular Keto Crisp is too tasteless for me as a cereal. I put it on my salad for a low carb crunch - does have the soybean taste and consistency.

Keto frosted flakes - just too much soybean texture and taste - if I have this and Keto crisp regular - then do LC pasta - everything is too much soybean.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default cold cereal?

I LOVE Hi-Lo cereal- its a cold cereal and
works great with Soy Slender vanilla flavour. I can usually find it at Trader Joes or Whole foods, but you can also get it online.
Here's some nutritional info.
Calories: 100 (per 1/2 cup); Total Fat: 1.5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 40mg; Total Carbohydrate: 12g (-5g of Fiber); Protein: 14g;
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 14:23

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Wow!! I'm surprised by all the great responses! Thanks everyone who has contributed so far. So far there seems to be varied opinions based mainly on flavor and texture. I'm still not sure what to try.

New question..ok, altered question: WHICH CEREAL DID YOU TRY AND HAVE VOWED NEVER TO HAVE AGAIN?

Thanks again for your opinions. They are truly valued.
Nadz
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 14:43
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I tried the Atkins Banaba Nut Harvest cold cereal the other day and it was pretty good. No aftertasted like the Keto flakes. But the best by far is the Flaxo meal granolas. As for one I won't try again - there is a slightly higher carb brand called Back to Nature sold at my local health store and it was awful!! Even with Splenda added!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 14:53

Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default reply

hi I've tried the Atkins Almond nut Crunch, it is ok, but it's no Fruit loops. I have also tried the Keto hot cereal Banana Nut, it's not that great but hell it will wrok when your sick of eggs.