Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 11:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Russell Stovers Low Carb Candies

I try not to cave into my sweet tooth, but once I week I'd DIE for a piece of chocolate. I had tried Russell Stover's sugar free series and thought they were great, but I hated buying a bag because they always seem to call..."Theresa, Theresa, come and eat me!" And ofcourse, I would always listen.

BUT NOW Russell Stovers has these little 2 packs of sugar free candies. There is low carb pecan delights, low carb toffee squares and low carb mint patties. To learn more click here:

http://www.russellstover.com/jump.j...TEGORY&itemID=7

I found them at Walgreens. I think they were $.99 a package. I bought all three flavors because after all, I figured if I bought all three I could give a review! Anyway, all three were great! I highly recomend. However, since I already did the review, there is no need to buy all three at once unless if you have control with chocolate... which ofcourse, I do not. In fact, I think I still hear them calling me from Walgreens which is a mile away!

The pecan patties had a good chewey caramel and the nuts tasted very fresh. The chocolate was smooth and creamy.

The toffee was very hard but had a nice warm butter flavor. The chocolate coating was heaven.

The mint paties were really good for mint patties. The inside mint part was silkier than on a York Patty and the chocolate was dark and of good quality. It was my least favorite but I am not a mint patty kind of girl.

Hope you chocoholics out there enjoy. Warning: they are made with maltitol and You know what that means.... possible stalls and gastral distress. Since YMMV, you may want to review your past history before eating.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 19:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Russell Stover...

...has jumped on the low carb bandwagon. I was at the pharmacy tonight picking up a prescription for my daughter when I noticed some new packages in the low carb section. I picked it up and it was Russell Stover peppermint patties.
Now, Russell Stover has made sugar-free chocolates for quite some time and I suspect that all they have done is come up with some new packaging and started calling it low carb, but it shows that they recognize that the market is there and they are trying to capitalize on it.
These are sweetened with sugar alcohols, so buyer beware but they are quite yummy. Just don't eat too much. For some reason, Russell Stover sugar-free chocolates hit me harder than any other sugar alcohol sweetened chocolates out there.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 20:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
For some reason, Russell Stover sugar-free chocolates hit me harder than any other sugar alcohol sweetened chocolates out there

They do use maltitol (mostly) just like most of the others, but I've noticed that many of their chocolates are quite generously sized, which means you are probably getting a large "dose" of the maltitol. Yee-ikes! (I get the same hit... dang it).

Just a change in packaging, as you noted. Interesting how the market is going, especially if you've been LC for 5 years or so, and have seen the dramatic changes just in the last year....
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:52

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I did a post on these a couple of weeks ago. If you want to check it out, click here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...Russell+Stovers

I really like the taste of these but it did set off a craving that I got over in a day or two. I haven't bought them since. I do like the packaging because it is one serving. If I was home at night and had a package, I would be OK because I am too lazy to jump in my car to go out an buy more. However, if I had a few packages in the house, they would be gone in 24 hours and I would be paying for it in the bathroom.

As far as sugar free (or should I say, sugar alcohol) I think it is the best tasting candy. There is better sugar alcohol chocolate (the belguim styles) but for candy, this is pretty darn good.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:29

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

I picked up 3 bags yesterday, carmels, peanut butter cups and pecan chews, and put them back. Im dying to try them, but will wait. I so buy ross's chocholates and they are really smooth and good, have to be careful though,nasty mailitol.

I will try the russel stoovers in another month or so, Im afraid I'll love them too much !

Can get the ross chocholates at www.torontodirect.ca
or www.lowcarbdepot.ca

these are Canadian companies.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 14:12

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking Pecan delights

Russell Stover's candies esp the pecan ones are very good....but keep it to one or two once in a while. boy, they really bloat you up and they give me gas
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/168/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Russell Stover candy

I found some dark chocolate covered mints by Russell Stover that are excellent! They are only .3 net carbs and taste like the "real" thing. Very tasty!!! Expensive - .99 and only 1 oz for two mints - but sure good. We have a Russell Stover outlet store not far away - which might prove dangerous.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:40

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Be careful!!!

I'm a big fan of the Russell Stover french mints. But if you eat too many --- well, let's just say, don't be too far away from the potty!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Stats: 220/168/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Russell Stover

Hi Cori - the way things have been "not" going *giggle* - that might not be such a bad thing!

Donna Lea
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:38
Registered Member

Stats: 150/127/127 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Russell Stover

Russell Stover also has these wonderful no-sugar pecan pieces. I bought a box of no-sugar "sampler" pack of chocolates for a gift yesterday. Heavenly (but for special treats only, of course).
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:18

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Russell Stover SF candies are a godsend!!! They also make awesome peanut butter cups, very similar to Reese's, and I love the mini Raspberry chocolate bars too. Have you tried the toffee sticks? Bought some turtles to try too.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:56

Stats: 207.5/186/160 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Red face I think they're great!

I eat the Russell Stovers Sugar Free Candies when my sugar drops so low I begin to get a migraine. Within about three minutes the headache goes away. Perhaps the sugar alcohol doesn't absorb as easily but it does give a little push when nothing else will work (i.e. high protien). When I start getting one of the headaches from low blood sugar, a big slab of chicken just makes me sick to my stomach!!! These little treats, IN MODERATION, seem to make things a little brighter I know this doesn't sound as healthy as an orange but, hey, with our Adkins thing going on here, they're a thing of the past anyhow!

Last edited by Zoot : Thu, May-22-03 at 11:58.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:23
Registered Member

Stats: 189/128/120 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Russel Stover

Oh my gosh!! I bought two bags of Russel Stover sugar free chocolate mint patties yummm well read this, on one bag it says

Total Fat 12g
Sodium 200 mg
Total Carbohydrate 26g
Fiber <1g
Sugar Alcohol 18g

wow I could not believe this, serving size is 3 well thats what I ate. Than I decided to read the other bag just to make sure I really screwed up and what do you know...

Total Fat 11g
Sodium 20mg
Total Carbohydrate 27g
Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 25g

okay this is weird so I call the company and they told me what I wanted to hear of course it was the better. Gee I wonder what else we eat has labels misprinted.

hmmmm Shawn
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 16:21

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I would have s~#t my pants if I read that lablel! I like the mint paties too. I know how you know they aren't too bad for carbs, but then you go back and check to make sure after you've had afew. I would have had a heart attack! I don't think it must happen verry often though 'cuase they can probably get in big trouble for that.

Jamian
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 18:38

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

That would have scared the living crap outta me. LOL. I tried some of the carmel ones (0 net carbs and DELICIOUS!!).

~Angi~