Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/203/150 Female 5'1"
BF:not/quite/sure
Progress: 21%
Default my face is breaking out

is this normal? i've never really had a problem with acne until now. how long will this last and what do you suggest to alleviate the symptoms? thanks!

(day 7 of atkins)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:51

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

this might be an issue for you now - call your dermatologist. This happened to me the first time I did Atkins and I don't remember how long it lasted. Now, I use Proactive face products and have not had a any break outs.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:54

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Most likely it is the impurties/dextoxing of your skin from eating low carbs. It shouldn't last forever. Make sure you clean your face well, and rinse well! My favorite acne meds (I've always suffered from it) is L'Oreal's Pure Zone. Great stuff!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:59

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Are you having any other problems? I have a sensitivity to arachidonic acid (found in fat of meat and especially egg yolks) that causes skin problems for me as well as problems for my nails. I ate a ton of bacon and eggs and developed problems that I had NEVEr experienced before.

Also, if you're eating more bacon, sausage, and other kinds of meat like that that has nitrates and nitrites, you could have a sensitivity to that. You can buy it without those things.

The biggest reason I can think of for breaking out is not drinking enough water. Could this be a possibility??? It's imperative that you drink much more than you're probably used to. Also, taking supplements, especially b-complex helps with breakouts - my dermatologist told me about that...are you doing recommended supplements??

Other food sensitivities when you start ingesting more than usual, dairy and eggs come to mind.

Hope your skin clears up. Hang in there!
Jinx
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:59

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I agree, it might be the toxins coming out through your pores. I would suggest a really mild cleanser if you don't already use one. If it has BP in it, make sure it is not too much, otherwise it will cause you to break out more.

Also, a lot of people say that their skin seems to get greasy because they are eating greasy food. I personally think it is from cooking the greasy food. I sometimes feel sticky of greasy after frying up a batch of bacon.

Wee
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 13:15

hmm, let's see:

not enough water?
- i drink a minimum of 4 16.9 oz bottles a day and more if i can

any other problems?
- not that i've noticed, just the break outs

nitrates?
- when i first started the diet, i was eating bacon (the first day or so) but i quit when i learned about nitrates. i now eat nitrate free sausage

possible food sensitivities?
- i have been eating a lot of eggs. before i started this diet, i *never* had eggs. perhaps they are the culprit?

just to clarify, the break outs aren't bad - just a bit on my chin only. but they are buggers. if it is the eggs, i think i will just deal with it for now and buy some medicine as they are really helping me curb my appetite. maybe when i am ready to move to phase 2, i will cut down on the eggs.

thanks for all the replies.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 13:17

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Supposedly fish oil caps (I take 4000 mg per day) help with food sensitivities, too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 13:39

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

Proactiv is the best thing in the WORLD for acne

I am living proof.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Most likely it's just the typical detoxing breakout. More water would help, but it will probably clear up in a couple of weeks. Have you started an exercise regimen recently? Anything that revs up your circulation can cause breakouts because your skin is working overtime.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:24

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yes I too went through a phase just like you are, I use OXY5 cleanser, but I really think it just went away on it's own. I kind of beleive its the Toxin's clearing out of our systems. It seemed to last for about 3 weeks.

Just stick to it.
Cheers Kathy
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:28

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I am with katgurl Proactiv is GREAT! I had the same problem about the first week or so and my face naturally cleared up. Now my skin feels good. The first week it was really gross and oily feeling.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:58

Quote:
Originally posted by 2berners
Have you started an exercise regimen recently? Anything that revs up your circulation can cause breakouts because your skin is working overtime.

i have been doing vigorous workouts 5 days a week at the gym since august of 2002 - well before i began the atkins diet.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 17:38
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

After about 6 weeks on Atkins my face cleared up for the first time in over 25 years - the poor widdle nasty facial bacteria weren't enjoying their ketone feast after all those years of glucose.

Needless to say, I was in heaven.

I've had one or two problems since then, but NOTHING like before.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 21:35

Stats: 175/165/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Smile

I have only experienced wonderful side effects with my skin. My face has cleared up so much! I'm on day 14 and intend on continuing on induction for a bit longer. I started noticing an improvement of my face complexion after the 1st week. I hope you will have the same great results also.