Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default How often should you weigh-in?

I'm low-carbing and I am weighing myself too much! Like several times throughout the day!! Usually it stays the some. Sometimes it fluctuates between 1-2 pounds. So, I was just wondering how often/how little I should weigh myself?

Thanks!
Christy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 15:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Christy, it's not really an issue of how often you weigh yourself, it's more an issue of what the result does to you. If you can deal with the daily fluctuations then go right ahead and weigh all you want - if you can't then perhaps you need to set some guidelines to follow. It is adviseable to weigh at the same time everyday, in the same clothing (or naked). It is also important to understand that body weight can fluctuate by as many as 9 lbs in a day. Many weigh once a week; some once a month.

There's a great article you should read here called "Why the scales lie"

In the interest of measuring loss you should also be taking measurements (hips, waist, thighs - both, arms - both, - calves, neck, wrist etc). And keep in mind that when you are not losing scale weight you are most likely losing inches. The two do not happen at the same time.

HTH,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 17:19

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Christy-
I agree with Nat. It is up to you how much you weight yourself. Everyone is different. I rely on measurements because I find them to be more accurate than the scale. Do yourself a favor also and take a "before" picture. It is so amazing to see your body transform itself in pictures!!!

Best of luck to you!
Linda
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm a bit of a compulsive weigher myself. Having failed on so many diets, and having my weight sneak up while I'm not looking, I still tend to be vigilant about weighing myself twice a day to keep a militant eye on things!

Last week I reached a certain point that had eluded me for the last 12 months - I'd get down to .5kg (1lb) over that weight and I KNEW I only had a day or two to wait till I finally hit it - but something would happen and I'd blow it! I'm now 3kg (6.5lb) below that weight and am in fact the lightest I've been in three years. Soooo CHUFFED about that (for all you non-Aussies, 'chuffed' means really really pleased).

I noticed that on high carb/low fat diets, the scales would just show a mysterious weight gain of a pound or two when I'd been SOOOOO good. On this WOE so far, I haven't any unexplained weight gains (none at all in fact) ... when I follow the diet I lose weight - when I don't QUITE follow it or have too much salt or not enough water, then I plateau for a few days. It does what it says it does and there's none of this discouraging crap going on. Can't tell you how many times in the past I ate low fat low cal high carb with lots of exercise only to have the scales GAIN!

Rebecca