Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 22:57

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default stalled due to lack of calories

Hi there,

I have been stalled for quite a while now. I have been tracking my food on fitday, and for some reason it is really hard to get up to even 1200 calories a day. Do you really think that eating 1200 calories actually stall people. I have been running 3 miles everyother day for the last 2 weeks and feel I should have at least shed some inches. This is typically what I eat. eggs. bacon, 3-4 small strawberries, atkins shake (snack), ceaser salad and a few slices of chicken breast on top, 1 oz cheese and wasa cracker, turkey burger and steamed broccoli. Now all that food still doesn't meet what I should be eating according to some of the posts I have read. I am afraid to eat more as a fear of really not being able to lose. Old thinking habits I believe.

Any advice would be hugely welcomed

Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 23:23

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Based on what I have seen on the boards, your calorie intake should be between 1450 to 2064. I have heard both philosophies on the board. And, I don't really know which one is correct, if there is a correct answer. Some say you should 10x to 12x your current weight and others say to eat 10x to 12x your ideal weight. So, that is what I figured the above range on. The 1450 is the lowest at your ideal weight (IW X 10) and the 2064 is the highest for your current weight (CW X 12)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 05:51
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

With all that activity you might need a few extra calories. Running also helps build muscle in the legs, so that might be why you are not losing on the scale. Building muscle hangs onto water as well. You might just need some patience. When I started to up my weights in the gym-my body weight went up for a week or two before it started to come back down.

I am of the camp to eat 10-12x your ideal weight, but frankly I don't pay all that much attention to calories-except to make sure I get enough. The last week I have been hungrier and have eaten much more than usual. I have eaten toward the end of my range of calories all week (12x my goal weight) It hasn't made my weight go up, so that little experiment has made me feel better.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:12

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default i understand

i understand the old thinking habits. i didn't know about fitday and just checked into it yesterday after reading about it over and over again here. i was shocked to find out i am not eating enough calories! it doesn't seem possible eating all this meat and fat ...everything we were told to never eat much of. and the reverse realization that previously how many carbs i use to consume. i am losing and just doing exercise tapes and weights. you are running, i am sure you can up your calorie count. give it a try and see if the scale moves.
-catherine
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:59
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Increasing calories

There are several things you could do to add calories and fat. It doesn't look like you are getting enough fat either.

Eat more beef and pork - a beef burger instead of turkey, ham or beef on the salad, etc. I know when I eat chicken I have trouble keeping fat and calories up.

Put cheese on your burger. How about celery and cream cheese for a snack? Or have a piece of Karen's cheesecake. Put butter on the broccoli.

Think of all the things that are high in calories and fat and add those - cheese, butter, cream cheese, etc.

Hope this helps.
Barb
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I add nuts too, to get in some calories without eating a lot. I have a digital scale that I find CRITICAL to doing this right, and I weigh out a handful, (under 1.5 ounces) and it gives me (pecans) 200+ cal.