Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac/French Diet
Stats: 263/285/200 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: -35%
Unhappy *sigh*

How is it possible to not lose weight on low-carb diets? I mean, the way it's all presented, it's an easy proposition, stay below 50 carbs a day and there will be results. Granted, I've only given this particular diet 2 weeks, but one should see something within 2 weeks, no? It hasn't even undone all the sugar and things that I ate over Christmas.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 00:50

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%
Default re: *sigh*

You can fail to lose weight if:

-you eat too many calories
-you eat too many carbs

I haven't read the Go-Diet book yet (I think I will order it) but it looks like you eat a few more carbs than some other diets, what with the yogurt.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:50

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

DM,
Don't get discouraged! I've been LCing for over a year now on various plans and there are several factors to keep in mind:

1. Not all plans will work the same for all people (despite all the wow you hear about people losing zillions of pounds on Atkins, for myself and for some others, Atkins did not work). One way I've been doing it is to give a plan some time and taking a few things into account (not just weight loss, but overall carb cravings, energy feelings, and measurements) and if I see it isn't doing me good, I look into other plans. LCing is not a one-size-fits-all type of plan (which is why us lifers call it a Way of Life and not a "diet") so it takes time to find the right one
2. LCing on the whole is a slow weight loss process. This isn't a fad diet where you can lose quickly. But the upside is you don't gain it back like with some fad diets since this is a way of eating.
3. Your body's resistance to dieting. If you're like me (I've been yo-yo dieting since I was 14) I already know my body is very resistant to weight loss (which is why I don't weigh myself on a scale). It takes more time for me to show the lost inches.

I was also getting discouraged going back on GO after a carb blowout few months but after about a month I started seeing the inches go. The thing that made me stick with it was that I noticed my energy level was up and my carb cravings went down significantly (I was even able to pass up biscottis that one of my grad classmates passed around ). That was enough for me to know it was working. I don't weigh myself but I did measure myself a few weeks ago (after about 1 1/2 months on GO) and I lost 2 1/2 inches from my stomach which is no mean feat.

Again, my advice is to be patient and wait it out. As long as you're feeling good on GO (and I'm assuming that you are if you're still on it) then the pounds will show up eventually. Also, keep checking yourself against some clothes that are tight on you. That's a surer way of knowing you've been losing than the scale.

Hope that helps!
Tam
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 15:31

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I'm not familiar with Go, but monitor your actual carb intake carefully.

Last edited by kghamilton : Fri, Apr-18-03 at 19:26.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Under 30 carbs per day
Stats: 200/194/160
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Try staying under 30 carbs/day

Hi there:

50 carbs is kind of high in my estimation. I haven't read the diet you're on, but Atkins begins with staying under 20 carbs/day.

Don't worry, though, I just wrote to another member that I was 200 lbs, low-carbed down to 169, then started a new job and within a year, was back to 200. Ughhh. I am back low-carbing, and have lost 5 lbs in the last week. Trying not to beat myself up for falling off the wagon myself.

I did see someone reply that not all diets work for everyone. Perhaps the one you're on doesn't work with your body. Keep trying - you'll find something that works for YOU!

Jen