Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 09:15

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Omega 3

Does canned tuna provide an adequate supply of Omega 3? I'd like to add 3 or 4 cans per week into my eating.

Just to follow up on this. I read an article from Ohio State University, indicating that 14 ounces of canned salmon per week (abut 2 cans) provides an adequate amount of omega 3.

Last edited by kghamilton : Mon, Apr-07-03 at 15:30.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:31

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

flaxseed and walnuts are good source of omega 3. Canned tuna has a good deal less omega 3 than salmon, from what I've been reading, but I still eat as much of that and fresh fish as I can (FORMAN GRILL + FISh = YUM!).

I take a high quality fish oil supplement (1000 mg per day) which is prepared through extensive molecular distillation ensuing elimination of heavy metal and other contamination, which has become a problem with the larger fish (cuz they eat all the smaller fish, including those fishes mercury content, therfore increasing their own...).

Albacore tuna has a higher omega 3 content - it does vary among the diff tuna.

Have a great day!
Jinx
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 20:22

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I don't care for fish myself, but I am taking Atkins Essential Oils. From what I have read (not just from Atkins), they are a pretty good source. Even if you like fish, it might get tiring eating that much of it week after week, and the supplements might be an alternative for you on "off" weeks.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 14:40

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Its definitely hard to get that much salmon, particularly when I only make it for myself.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 22:24

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Omega 3

EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid)
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is one of several omega-3 fatty acids used by the body. Our main dietary sources of EPA are cold water fish such as wild salmon. Increased intake of EPA has been shown to be beneficial in coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, and inflammatory disorders.

DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid)
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 fatty acid that is essential for the proper functioning of our brains as adults. Lack of sufficient DHA may be associated with impaired mental and visual functioning as well as attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children. Low levels have also been associated with depression and Alzheimer's disease in adults.
DHA is also important to brain and vision development in infants.

Omega-3 fatty acids fall into two major categories: Plant derived (flax seed oil, yielding alpha linolenic acid or ALA) or marine derived (fish oil, yielding both EPA and DHA). The human conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA is inefficient and can be inhibited by various conditions such as a diet high in linoleic acid (Omega-6), trans-fatty acids such as fast foods and baked goods, alcohol intake, certain health conditions, and vitamin and mineral deficiencies (B3, B6, C, zinc, magnesium). Fish, on the other hand, is a direct source of EPA and DHA. The general consensus is that only about 15% of ALA converts to EPA, and it may not convert to DHA at all.