Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 20:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Thumbs up Missing your frijoles??

Refried beans ala low carb:

1 [15 oz] can black soybeans
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. Franks Red Hot sauce (or more to taste)
2-3 tbsp. hot bacon grease
salt and pepper to taste
2 oz. shredded cheese (your choice)

Drain and rinse the beans then place in a mixing bowl. Mash the beans with a potato masher (bet you thought you'd never have a need to use that again! ) until paste forms. Add spices and hot bacon grease and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add some additional bacon grease to a skillet on medium heat then add the bean mixture. Stir until heated through. Place on a microwave safe plate, sprinkle cheese over the top and microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

6 grams carb for the whole batch.

Optional: Add chopped tomatoes, onions, salsa, guacamole or sour cream, but don't forget to count the extra carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

What brand of black soy beans do you use?

I looked at the store and for a 1/2 cup (4 oz) serving of Eden Organic Black Soy Beans it's listed as 8 carbs and according to the info I found in the following thread that is the actual carb count (the fiber has already been deducted):

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...black+soy+beans

Not bad for an occasional treat, but just wondering where you got the 6 carbs for the entire batch number?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 20:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yikes, Dustin!

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware that the fiber had already been deducted and was deducting it again. They should make a point of declaring it on the can because in the US, fiber is usually included in the total count and that's the assumption that I was basing my carb count on.
Based on the new information, it comes out to 30 grams of carb for the whole thing. Not terribly high, but not for use on induction, either.