Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194.5/152/160
BF:
Progress: 123%
Cool Trying to Maintain on CAD

I started Atkins on 10-2-02 and lost 45 pounds by 03-02-03. That is 10 pounds lower than what I had set as my goal. I am old and tall, so I feel good at 160. My hubby weighs between 150-155. I kept on Atkins and got to 150 and then started playing his game. I switched to CAD 2 weeks ago, to try to maintain, but still have a more livable lifestyle. I have been up and down (some water weight and some retention due to constipation) with the same 5 pounds. I had an intestinal bypass in 1978 and lost 100 pounds and tend to absorb food differently (I get constipated on carbs!) - I guess that is why Atkins worked so well.

I am at 155 today and a little fearful... I do love that reward meal. I am strict about the 60 minutes, but the thirds are a little harder to maintain. I need and enjoy three meals a day. I have stuck faithfully to lc on BF and lunch, I think my RM is the problem, if I have a problem. I really don't want to see the scales go above 155! I think I will try not rewarding myself so much on RM.

I have looked at the variety of messages and methods and different things seem to work for different people. I don't like counting anything and I don't like skipping meals...Atkins was simple, but I hope I can make CAD a "live-it"!

I think I'd benefit from journalling, but I am having some trouble doing anything except posting threads. I don't know if it is something on my machine at work or what. I'll work on that one tomorrow I guess. Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 12:02
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

CAD is about listening to your body. Perhaps you're having problems with certain carbs. You might have some carb sensitivities. That can make you retain water and also make you constipated. As you go along, take note of how certain foods make you feel. Perhaps your carbs are too refined? Perhaps you need more balance? These are tweeks that will get you acclimated to the program.

CAD is not for everyone though. Have you taken the test? If you are not a true carb addict you can gain on CAD. Two weeks is not enough time to adjust. Give yourself time but try to gain control and reduce refined carbohydrates.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194.5/152/160
BF:
Progress: 123%
Default A few More Questions

Thank you for responding. I will try to observe the carbs (is a dessert really a dessert without carbs?).

On the thirds/what do you use to determine thirds - calories, portions, fullness, carbs? If so, you need to eat a ton of veggies to match one piece of pecan pie!

I'm also having trouble with feeling full early in the meal, but having saved my dessert all day, I really want it, so I keep eating until I have gotten in all the "tastes" I have been wanting. I have not been hungry the rest of the evening or during the day except at mealtimes.

I've weighed in daily and thought perhaps a good strategy would be to allow myself the RM as long as I don't go over 155. If I do, then go back to strict Atkins. That should work shouldn't it?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 20:22
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Donna
The 1/3 is eyeballed for volume. Have dessert. Starting out on CAD most go through what we call the "kid in the candy shop" syndrome. It tapers off after a time when you realize that you can have whatever you want every 24 hours. You'll find your balance. Give it some time.