Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 18:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Major Change in Sleep Habit

Has anyone else experienced a change in their sleeping?

I used to be the night owl who could not sleep until the wee hours of the morning. My DH was always up before me. I would drag myself out of bed every morning feeling like an elephant had stomped me. Never in a good mood.

After starting Atkins a little over a month ago, I find it hard to stay
awake past 10pm. And I wake up very early feeling fine-actually able to carry on a conversation

This is an added benefit I never expected.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 18:05
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

My sleep time hasn't changed but it feels like I have better quality sleep when I stick to LC foods.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 18:15

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm constantly waking up to use the bathroom... and I don't even drink water past 8pm most nights. No different otherwise.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 18:49
Registered Member

Stats: 222/181/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default The Energizer Bunny Here!

I'm glad to hear someone else has turned into a morning person.
I'm now in the bed by 9:00 or 10:00 and up at 4:30 wide awake every morning. I went back to the book and per Dr. Atkins, the fat burning process along with controlling your carbohydrate intake which stabilizes your blood sugar cause a dramatic increase in energy.

I wish I could sleep a little later on Sat. and Sun. Sometimes I have to force myself to just lie in bed and try and relax. At least my job is happy I've been going in at 6:30 or 7:00 whereas I used to go in between 8:30 or 9:00.

I love this feeling and wouldn't trade it for the world

Pat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 18:57
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I am another one who is now fighting to stay awake till at least 10pm, sometimes quiting around 9:30. Hey that's close enough for me. Then I am fully awake by 5am! Make the DH happy since I am up to make his breakfest now.

I use to sleep to atleast 7 or 8, once in a while 9! But those days are gone. Daylight savings start this week, so I concider myself just ahead of the game!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:05

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%
Default Same here -

I force myself to stay up until 10 - 10:30 (and I mean force). I used to stay up until 1 or 2. I also used to wake up around 7 - 7:30. No more, I'm now awake at 4 and get out of bed at 5 or before. I try to fall back asleep but, never can.

My trainer was saying something today about the liver having two functions which operate on cycles with one from 3am to 3pm and the other from 3pm to 3am. I can't remember what the two functions were but, I do remember him commenting on the late afternoon fatigue and something about this WOE keeping the liver very busy with toxin and hormone processing from the weight loss. It wasn't negative just explanatory.

Whatever...

Jones
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:37

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Sleeping Hours --

Before Atkins: 5AM - 2PM
After Atkins: 11PM - 8AM

I start to get sleepy about 10 PM, and I have to force myself to stay up past 11 PM.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%

its funny, i do find myself being able to go to bed earlier, but I find myself sleeping later........If i dont need to wake up for school, I can sleep till 1pm, but if I wake up at like 7am for school I can too, and I feel peppy.......

Since I started atkins I have also been having nightmares and weird dreams =/ Anyone else?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 21:17

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Toeie-

Yah, my dreams have always kind of been vivid but I know what you mean...
I was thinking it has to do with what we (I) am doing ... a new way of thinking, eating, exercising and LIVING!! LOW CARB!! and it brings up feelings and FEAR of the past and the unknown future! In our new bodies!!

Take care,
M-
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 21:23

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I've always been early to bed, early to rise but before Atkins, I would wake at 1:00 or 2:00 and be unable to go back to sleep. Now if I wake at night, I go to the bathroom and have a drink of water and right back to sleep. I'm feeling much more rested. Used to nap nearly every afternoon and haven't done that since I started this.
No change in dreaming.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: Glucose Revolution
Stats: 325/297.5/200 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

Nope.. Still have to take my melatonin in order to get to sleep. Otherwise I'm up all night.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:52

Stats: 152/140/130
BF:
Progress: 55%

I'm so happy to read this thread. I've been fighting to stay up until 10PM, usually losing the battle and then waking up at 5:30-6AM. Of course, my night-owl boyfriend thinks this is the funniest thing in the world. Now I can tell him that if he wants me to be hot, he'll have to put up with the new schedule! Thanks everyone.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:11

Stats: 225/137/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default in total agreement

Hi all!

This is my 1st post since I recently found this forum. The advice & inspiration here has been fabulous for me!

I totally agree about the change in sleep habits. I've always been a night person & preferred sleeping late. I officially started Atkins 1/13/03 & ever since have been finding it difficult to stay awake until 10pm. Have been waking up at 5am and actually enjoying the morning! What a terrific feeling.

Amy
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:19

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

my sleep habits have not really changed. i have to get up for work at 5:30am so i am usually in bed around 10:30 or 11pm.

the one thing that is really bothering me though is the constant trips to the bathroom. i get up a couple of times a night. i am really thirsty all day, and even at night so it is hard for me to not drink anything before bed. even during the night when i wake up i feel thirsty. (and i know i am getting enough water cause i am constantly drinking it, 60-70+oz a day, plus coffee and the occational crystal light or soda)
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:27

Stats: 287/256/170
BF:
Progress: 26%

I had a big change also in my sleeping habits...

Before Atkins:
I would go to bed aroud 11:30 Pm, would have many trips to the bathroom during the night, and would have a hard time waking up in the morning (aroud 7:30 AM). And, I also needed a nap while my little boy was napping!!!! I was always sleepy...

After Atkins:
I can't stay up after 10:30 Pm. I have a hard time watching movies at home and fall asleep in my sofa I don't go to the bathroom anymore during the night (or maybe once in a while). And I wake up very energized around 7:00 Am. Don't need the little nap anymore!

It was a good change for me! Another reason to continue low carbing even if I'm not loosing for weeks now!

See ya!

Last edited by Thalie : Thu, Apr-03-03 at 09:28.