Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: Proten Power
Stats: 190/165/155
BF:??%/21%/12%
Progress: 71%
Question Constipation.... who cares?

Yes, I get constipated. Yes, I have a bowl-movement abuout 2-3 times a week. No, I'm not particularly thrilled about it but then again I don't really care that much. I don't care if my excretions are small and rock-hard. Like I said, I don't love it, but I don't really care. Now, since I don't care does it really matter for me if i do carry on being constipated like this? Is this doing something to my health that can be damaging? It's actually more conveniant for me this way, less time wasted in the bathroom. Guess you gotta find the silver lining in everything!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 07:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ummm....how soon do you want to have surgery for hemorrhoids? Seriously, allowing yourself to remain constipated for long periods of time and having to strain at bowel movements will lead to hemorrhoids eventually. They don't always require surgery, but they aren't terribly comfy when they're acting up, either.
The good news is that constipation is relatively easy to correct. Plenty of water and enough fiber usually do the trick.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 07:30

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Go to www.thewolfeclinic.com, and read about intestinal health and how important it is. Being constipated is neither normal, or healthy, and you should be worried about it.

Get healthy!!!!!

-Denise
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 04:42

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yes, drink more water and eat more veggies. They are right about the hemorrhoids. You may not have them now, but if the situation isn't corrected, in time you will have them. It's kinda like getting diabetes. If you know you may get it, then start now to prevent it--don't wait until you get it. Ditto hemorrhoids...they are NOT FUN!! Imagine the sensation of someone sliding a two-edged knife up your rectum while you're trying to download 'used food'....then there's the tippy-toe walking you do afterward because it hurts to walk....and I don't *even* want to get into having to sit on a hard chair....
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 01:29

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear sdge,

it is not acceptable to allow yourself to be constipated over a long period of time. I developed a hemorrhoid after straining on the loo! It's gone away now but heavens - am I careful now!

Also the poos can become impacted, blocking you up completely - a very dangerous situation.

Increase you intake of fibre. Take psyllium husks or even the occasional laxative. Don't just put up with it.

Robert
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Where do you get psyllium husks? And are they a pill or mixed into something? I am having a problem
and that is rare for me, so I am not aware of what to do about it. I remember once I took a laxitive called correctol, and I had such cramps fromit, I felt like I was in labor, and I swore I would never take it again ~ I almost felt nauseous from it. And then I couldn't stop going for the whole day... scheesh
Osuzana
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 04:42

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

You can get psyllium husks from almost any health food store. The stuff I gat is a powder. You mix a spoon or two in a glass of water and swallow immediatly. Then you drink another glass of water. In your stomach it becomes a jelly like mass which is pure fibre. It has 0 carbs.

I sometimes take ex-lax or another mild laxitive.

What works best on me are sugar alcohols. I few spoons full of diabetic jam (jelly), some diabetic chocolate or sweets. These have the unpleasant effect of producing lots of gas however!

Good luck,

Robert