Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default PMS??? breast pain/ fat intake

Hi this is kinda embarassing. But I suffer from PMS symptoms and since I started Atkins my breasts hurt. Esp. as my TOM approaches. My ob/gyn has me on zoloft for my symptoms ( which I know can slow down weight loss, but I'll take that chance!) I was wondering if doing this low carb ("high" fat) WOL could increase my PMS symtoms. I've read that PMS suffers should restrict their fat intake. I never had this breast pain before low carbing and believe me I'd know because I am a hypocondriac due to a bad bout with anxiety over a year ago. Pain just started begining in Feb and I started Atkins Feb 3. Just saw my Ob/gyn last week I told her I was low carb but forgot to mention this. (She suggested WW because on that plan "you can eat".) So if anyone out there has this experience would you share your thoughts. Thanks Ellen

I'd like to add that my supplements include essential oils, multi vit no iron, calcium citrate(just started that last week) started zoloft 3/6/03 I think thats it.

Last edited by geel : Thu, Mar-13-03 at 09:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 02:18

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Get off all caffeine! NOW! No chocolate, no tea, no sodas, no coffee. Bear in mind, fat release can wreak havoc as it also releases toxins and hormones, so you may be on a bit of a roller coaster PMS-wise. Be patient, it'll settle down. You may also notice a change in your TOM. Some folks who'd already gone thru the 'change' had started back. Personally, I think it eventually regulates your hormones, but until things stabilize it can be a bit rough. Don't worry if your hair starts to come out a bit too. The new hair growing back will be glorious.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 17:47

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default I will say that is the one drawback...

I found from being on Atkins the last time.

My PMS and my seasonal depression both got much, much worse.

But I was skinny!

I am trying promensil this time. It is touted for perimenopause, but I figure it will regulate my hormones too, since I am not taking in the fruits and vegetables that would help that.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 10:25
Registered Member

Stats: 171/155/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 39%

Calcium helps immensely with both breast pain and cramps, I find...takes about a month to start though.

Vegetarian and raw food diets are often recomended for women with menstrual problems, and I did find that it was somewhat helpful for me, but who wants to eat *that* way?

Calcium should help. Just hang on .
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 03:04

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

..AND magnesium! Also vitamin B6 is good for reducing bloating as it is a natural diuretic. Take enough to turn your urine bright yellow. (And if you add B12 to that in the summertime the mosquitos will leave you alone!)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 07:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi there geel,

There's some good suggestions from the other folks

To answer your concern about breast pain, and any link with a high fat diet, you might want to have a read through some info. I posted a while ago to another member with the same problem. I think it will ease your mind ... Sore Breast Anyone?

hth,

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:19
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for all this info. It's a load off my mind Ellen