Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 397/364/154 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default how many cals am i meant to have each day

Hey im roch, just started atkins induction 10 days ago after being on high carbs low fat for ages and losing 60 pounds but allways being constantly hungry, finding induction real easy,and have lost 10 pounds in 10 days and ketosis strips are dark purple each time, but im not sure how much cals,and fat i am meant to have each day, i weigh 324 pounds, i worked ou today my intake was 68%fat,4%carbs and 29% protein, is that right,i have also started taking xenadrine as of today as a boost,has anyone had good results with xenadrine, this is so confusing someone please steer me through this minefield of info, thanks, good luck, roch
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 09:46
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

roch-

Don't concern yourself too much with calories, unless you are not eating enough! If you are hungry-eat! I would probably not go under 1800 or 2000 calories a day if I were you. Your ratios look good to me and you are losing weight, so that is a good indication you are doing fine.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hey Roch! Welcome!!

You are doing GREAT and your ratios are PERFECT. The general guideline is 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs and you are right on!
As far as calories go, and again, this is general...10 x your weight (300 lbs = 3000 calories). Sometimes it seems like a lot, but you have to keep your body working properly. I find that if I have a low calorie day, my body seems to say HEY! I'm STARVING and the pounds stay put.

There is a website called fitday.com that I think you might find helpful. You can enter all the food you eat and it automatically calculates the fat, protein etc both in grams and percentages. If you would like to see an example of what fitday does, feel free to click on the link (MYFitday) below my name, not that what I eat is particularly interesting.

Another good tip is to visit this forum often...a great group of people with lots of questions AND answers.

And now for something completely different...I have always wanted to know....how much is a "stone" in pounds and ounces. This has perplexed me forever and I'd really like to know.

Best of luck to you...WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Sue
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by Dingo10520
As far as calories go, and again, this is general...10 x your weight (300 lbs = 3000 calories). Sometimes it seems like a lot, but you have to keep your body working properly.

I know that some won't agree with me here, but the formula of 10X your current weight seems reasonable only when you are already close to your goal weight or not very overweight already. If you're concerned about calories, it might be worth your time to calculate your BMR and at least stay above that while you are trying to lose. Usually, but not always, that comes to about 10-12X your goal weight, assuming that your goal weight is a reasonable one.
If you are eating enough to stay satisfied, but not stuffed and are losing at a reasonable pace, don't be too concerned about calories. If you hit a stall and don't lose inches or pounds for a period of 4-6 weeks, then caloric intake might be one of the things that you should take a look at as well as other possible stallers such as trigger foods, caffeine, artificial sweeteners and low carb bars and treats.
Most people don't need to count calories on low carb, but a few may find it necessary especially once they start getting close to their goal weights.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:49
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi All! Roch congrats on your losses so far. You are doing great so you should stick with what you are doing for now.

I don't think you should consume 3 000 calories.

Question:
Lisa, I currently eat 1720 calories (10X current weight).

I checked out two sites for BMR.

One said: 1325 calories

The other said:
if I was interested in weight loss then 1330-1460 calories,
if I was interested in muscle gain without fat loss then 1590-2120.

I am interested in weight loss and also fat loss with muscle gain (I am doing BFL). Where should my calories be?

red

Last edited by red1cutie : Sat, Mar-15-03 at 10:52.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 11:06

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

started taking xenadrine as of today as a boost,has anyone had good results with xenadrine

Please, do some research on this dangerous drug, it has been pulled off many shelves, and harsh warning for people to stop taking it here in Canada. Just because you can still buy does not mean it is safe.

Good Luck with this woe, Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 11:08

BF:

Red...

Your BMR is the minimum amount of calories your body needs to sustain basic body functions, like breathing, heartbeat, regulating body temperature, digestion, cell replication and repair, etc...
It doesn't take into account your daily activity which requires calories above and beyond that to even maintain your weight.
Since you're already excercising, I'd say that 1,700 calories is a very reasonable intake for losing weight and that you could even go a bit higher. I believe that Dr. Atkins suggests that most women can loose successfuly at around 1,800 calories daily.
Of course, there are a whole host of variables that can influence your BMR such as age, gender, past dieting history and overall health status as well as how much lean body mass you have; the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR will be.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:34
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Roche,

It's been said already, but I want to repeat it anyway -- you're doing great and the pounds are coming off nicely, so eat until you're satisfied when you're hungry, and don't worry about restricting your calories. If it ain't broke. . .

Best wishes for continued success!

--Ruth
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 14:46
Registered Member

Stats: 148/143.8/125
BF:
Progress: 18%

My first weigh-in today - lost 1.6 lbs. Thought it should be a little better the way I was dumping water all week. I may not be getting enough calories, but I'm really not getting very hungry. I'm having 3 meals a day and 1/2 cup of carb-free jello w/2 tbs Cool Whip in the evening.

What else could I eat between meals while on induction? (even if I'm not hungry)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 21:08

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

You'd be loosing more if you get rid of the cool-whip on the jello and use heavy whipping creamed, if you want sweeten it with a little splenda. For snacks you can eat lunch meat and cheese rolled up, or some veggies with full fat dressing like ranch, just count the carbs. Once you're past Induction you can also snack on nuts. A lot of people also snack on pork rinds, this isn't my taste, but it may work for you. You could also snack on hard boiled eggs. The possibilties are almost endless, just be creative. Check the recipes out too. Always remember to count the snacking carbs too. And you might want to rethink snacking when you're not hungry, eating just to eat can be dangerous when trying to loose weight. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 21:20

BF:

Cool Whip has hydrogenated fat in it...not the kind that you want to be putting in your body.
I agree with Amy...it would be far better to use real whipping cream (also known as heavy cream) instead.

Pat...average weight loss on induction is about 10% of what you need to lose, or a little over 2 pounds in your case. It seems to me that you're right on track, so keep it up.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 21:26
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Roch,

We are a similar size and I have lost over 70 pounds without worrying about calories. Make sure you eat your vegetables, enough fat to keep filled up, and enough protein. Stay away from the fake foods -- bars, shakes, etc. Stay away from the drugs like xenedrine-- this way of eating works without them. If you eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are full, the calories should take care of themselves. After years of being always hungry while eating lowfat/high carb, being full is a new experience for me and I've had to listen to my body carefully to learn when it happens.

You are going to see advice all over this forum about eating 10x to 12x your body weight in calories. Everyone I have corresponded with who has more than 50 pounds to lose agrees that advice does not apply to us. I cannot lose weight on 3000 or 3500 calories a day and you probably can't either. The beauty of Atkins is that we can stay full eating much less than that.

If you haven't found the Triple Digits Club yet, you might want to check it out. It is listed under LowCarb Support Focus Groups and is for people with over 100 pounds to lose.