Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/268/180 Male 5'7"
BF:34%
Progress: 7%
Angry Ouch! Help Me

Okay, I've been traning for one month and a day, and I've recently began to weight lift with larger weights and less repetitions. How can I help prevent muscle cramping and pulled muscles? I'm drinking about 5 8oz glasses of water and stretching in between sets, but I cramp almost all day long and yesterday (before I had even worked out), I pulled a back muscle. I don't want this type problem to prevent me from reaching my goals. Anybody have suggestions as to how to prevent this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:36

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm definitely NO expert, but I know that supplements such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and glutamine make my muscles feel great and prevent cramping and soreness.

What are you taking? Anything you think you might add?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 17:39

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 235/205/190
BF:26%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

I'm certainly no expert but I try to sit in the Jacuzzi immediately following a workout. If one isn't available to you, I'm told that a massaging shower head will also do the trick. (Alternate between hold and cold water)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 18:46

Skamito,

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently taking Xenadrine RFA-1, CLA, and Ergopharm 1-AD. I've heard the benefits of glutamine, but I didn't want to go nutty with all the suplements (thought I might already be in that category).
One problem I think may be the fact that I'm not taking any post workout drink other than water. I've heard the benefits of gatorade/powerade, but I don't know of any sugar-free version.

Mjb
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 18:48

BUM3,

Thx for the reply. While I don't have a jacuzzi, I do know of a stall at the gym with a massaging showerhead. I'll honestly give your suggestion a try. Thx again for the idea.

Mjb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 19:09

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

If you are pulling muscles, I'd make sure you are executing proper form and if you are, then maybe the weights you are using are too heavy. I'd check form first though, improperly doing an exercise is more likely to cause an injury.

Ohhh what I'd give for a jacuzzi!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 23:19

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Mykebass, I'm pretty sure there's no sugar free version of the "Ades" since one of the main points of sports drinks is to replenish the body with carbs. So... you don't need THAT.

Or maybe you do. If you're not getting a good afterworkout recovery meal, you might want to start. I drink Isopure (pure whey protein, no fat, no carbs) and eat half an apple after lifting. And, though you don't want nuttiness (might be too late ) glutamine is a REALLY awesome supplement. Even after really pushing myself, I rarely feel more than a slight feeling of soreness after lifting.

I don't know much about the stacks and such that you're taking. Is it possible they may cause muscle cramping? Probably not, it's just a thought. Well, I hope you solve this. Sounds pretty uncomfortable.

#8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 07:25

DarkLotus,

Thx for the reply. I'm confident that my form is money. The cramping actually occured before a workout. I have since added a bit more carbs to my meals and did a half/half powerade mixture when seems to help. I'm suffering from a lot of muscle fatigue as well (due to the low carbs) which probably ads to the problem. I'm tweaking my diet and am slowly feeling better!

Mjb