Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:37
Progress: 18%
Default I'm on day four, and no pounds lost

what the ...........?

I thought I'd have at least a pound of weight loss in the first week. It's the end of day four, I have staved off donut day, cake day, as well as many other temptations, made my family their higher-carb meals while sticking to my lower-carb ones, but NO WEIGHT LOSS AT ALL. I have stayed under 30 each day, except yesterday I hit 40. I don't know if I can go much less than that. I drink gallons of water each day, and exercised three times this week (weights) and two times cardio.

so what gives? I'm not thinking about giving up yet, though. My heartburn is gone, so that is good. But I'm still tired, I have really bad breath, and I'm not losing. What am I doing wrong???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/225/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 21%

Just give yourself some time. Every BODY is different. Keep on eating the right things and drinking that water and the pounds will come off!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:12

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Low carb is not necessarily a fast weight loss plan. Just stick to the plan, eat your veggies, drink your water, and it will happen. Just trust the plan.

Seriously. Just be patient.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:35

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Give your body time to adjust to this new way of eating. Try not looking at the scale for the next 2 weeks and see what it does. Also go over your foods and see if maybe there is something in there that might be stalling you, maybe cheese? sugar alcohols? or some other things. Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:56

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Great advice on being patient. I am losing much slower than I'd hoped as well, but the good advice I got in this forum encouraged me to stick with it and I am now seeing the benefits.

However, another great piece of advice I got was to NOT weigh myself until you have completed 2 full weeks of a clean (no cheating!) induction.

Also, be sure you are getting at least 64oz of plain water everyday. I noticed a change for me when I upped my water consumption. And now, I'm kind of addicted to it!

Another thing to keep in mind is that with the exercise and this WOE, you may be gaining muscle mass and losing fat. Some folks actually ignore the scale and "listen" to the tape measure - you may find you're losing inches. If you haven't measured yourself, measure now and then again after your first two weeks.

Just hang in there and it will work!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 23:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But I'm still tired, I have really bad breath, and I'm not losing. What am I doing wrong???

Bad breath is a sure sign that you're in ketosis and the fat burning mechanism has started to kick in. You could be retaining water if you are eating deli meats and fake foods.

What are you eating? Keeping a journal here will help.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 00:13

Stats: 135/135/120 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Im in the same predicament as you are! Its my 4th day as well and it looks as if I might be retaining water. I have a feeling it might be because I still drink a bit of diet soda everyday and school has been SO chaotic that I havent had the slightest chance to exercise this week Hopefully this weekend I'll get some R&R and get back on track. Im not giving up!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 00:44

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Stop worrying! It's only Day 4 and stressing out about it is only going to make you want to binge. Keep OFF those scales, there's no need to weigh in every day or every two days - and don't weigh in until you've done your 14 days of induction. I bloated on the 3rd day but it was gone by the 7th.

Be patient and just chill out about things. Enjoy your food and see how you've done at the end of the 2 weeks.

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 09:52
Tex04

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Just stick with it!! I did not lose ANYTHING the first week, but I did not let it get me down. I could feel that I was slimming down, my shirts fit better and I saw my RIBS when I stretched one morning! Then in the middle or week 2 I lost 8lbs in 2 days without changing anything. Kinda scared me, but I consulted other LC peers at work and they said that happens. The scale has stalled again since then, but the clothes are getting looser still.

Now I just don't let myself weigh more than 1 (ok I cheat maybe 2x) a week. I focus on how my body feels!

good luck!