Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 19:05

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Lowest Carb AS to Use in Baking?

I was just wondering what the lowest carb artificial (or natural) sweetener is to use in a recipe calling for sugar.

I know the liquid forms are generally zero carb, but can you willy-nilly substitute them in place of sugar?

I know that pourable Splenda is 24 gms carb per cup and is one-for-one with sugar.

Pourable brown Sugar Twin (cyclamate), according to the box, is .27 gm carb per teaspoon, so 13 carbs per cup.

Does anyone have this info for other AS's, such as pourable Sweet 'N Low? Or Opti-Sweet (Trutina Dulcem)?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 19:28

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Actually, I guess this thread really belongs in the Recipe section. Maybe some nice Moderator will come along and move it
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I am hardly the low-carb baking queen, but I do know that you can't just plug the liquid sweeteners in for sugar. Sugar contributes volume and texture as well as taste, which is why Splenda's so great -- the bulk and sweetness are more or less the same. Sucralose, and other artificial sweeteners, are so sweet in liquid form that you only need a tiny amount of them. Manufacturers add filling agents so that we can measure out a teaspoon instead of three drops, and that's where the carbs in granular AS all come from.

So for baking, if you're going to use liquid sweeteners, you've still got to make up the volume somehow. Expert Foods makes a bulking product called ThickenThin not/Sugar, which is supposed to provide some of sugar's physical properties without any sweetness so that you can use it with liquid sweeteners. However, I've never used it personally, so I can't say exactly how it behaves.