Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 10:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/122/110
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Marinade

I LOVE brisket and I have a recipe that I marinate it in while it is cooking in the croc pot. I've modified the recipie and I'd like your thoughts on whether this is OK during induction: (note this IS not the entire recipie, I am only questioning these things)
1) 1 cup cooking white wine (my cooking wine lists no sugars in the ingredients but I've heard others say it has sugar)
2) 1/2 cup Splenda
3) 1/4 cup redwine vinegar (Atkins says to stay away from balsamic vinegar but again, mine lists no sugar or any derivatives in the ingredients)
Sound OK? Any suggestions on how to count the carbs? Whats the deal w/ marinades- do I have to count everything like I ate it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 02:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It looks fine by me!

If you only eat the marinade that clings to the meat, I would count 1/4 of the amount of carbs for the whole recipe, just to be on the safe side.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 05:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up I have another great recipe for brisket

I found this recipe in Savour magazine. It is great. Here goes:
KANSAS CITY DRY RUB
1 cup sugar, you can substitute Splenda
1/4 cup seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup celery salt
1/4 cup onion salt
1/2 cup paprika
3 tbs. chili powder
2 tbs. fresh ground pepper
1 tbs. lemon pepper
2 tsp. ground sage
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. ground tyme
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Sift together sugar, seasoned salt, garlic salt, celery salt, onion salt, paprika, chili powder, black pepper, lemon pepper, sage, mustard, tyme and cayenne into a bowl. Store in a jar.

1 8lb beef brisket, untrimmed
1/2 cup dry rub
freshly ground black pepper
2 large yellow onions, peeled and quartered, (optional)

Pre-heat oven at 265.
Blot brisket with paper towel, then sprinkle rub on both sides.
(Don't rub into meat)
Place brisket, fat side up, in a dutch oven. Arrange onions around meat, then add enough water to just come to the top of the brisket.
Place pan in oven, cook for 6 to 7 hours, or until fork tender. Rotate pan so brisket cooks evenly. 1/2 way through cooking turn brisket over and add more water, as needed. Do not let water boil away. Keep brisket covered.
Remove from pan, let rest for 15 minutes. Trim fat off and cut across the grain.

I have made this several times and it is wonderful, just a bit sweet, garlicy with just a hint of heat.
I thought this would be a good recipe for you because, if you substitute the sugar for Splenda there should be no carbs at all. There is alot of salt in this but I don't feel it would cause anyone any problems.
Take care and enjoy.
Jan
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:18

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Haven't tried a marinade -- yet

Hi all,

Reese, pardon me for interrupting a great thread, but let me air a personal prejudice:

Ditch the "cooking wine." Cooking wine has loads of sodium, which you can live with maybe, but it is plumb awful stuff. Just the pits. Never cook with a wine you wouldn't want to drink. Get an inexpensive bottle of table wine -- even screw-top -- and use that instead.

Rant over.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:53

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I always count carbs in Splenda as with all artificial sweeteners. I usually use the packets, and that has 1g. of carbs in them and that's about 1/2 tsp I think.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 12:56

Stats: 125/122/110
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Thank you

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions! I will definitely try your recipie JanskyC, thanks so much for taking the time to list all that! I love things that are spicy & sweet. Arrow: I have read before that you should use regular wine for cooking (instead of cooking wine) and I think I will give it a try. Any white wine suggestions????
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:48

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A bottle of wine

Hi all,

JanskyC, like Reese, I think your recepie sounded terrific.

Reese, I'm in California, so there are lots of good wine choices -- that I have been avoiding.

For a really inexpensive wine, I don't think Ernest & Julio Gallo ever put their name on a really bad bottle. For an inexpensive white, try their Twin Valley chardonnay.

'Course, a real connoisseur will turn up their nose at my "screw top" suggestion. But even the rankest vin ordinaire in France, which is shipped from Algeria in stainless steel tanks and tastes like kerosene, beats "cooking" wine.