Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 20:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/204/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Exclamation Trying to get back on track.. (LONG MSG!)

This is my first post to this forum. I lost the bulk of my weight (~40 lbs!) from the first of August to the end of October (roughly three months) and I was on Induction the entire time. Since then, I have faltered on and off (the holidays were wretched!) and have basically maintained within 5 pounds. Luckily I haven't gone back up!!

I started induction again yesterday (as I have several time in the last 15 weeks) but I am determined that this time it has to stick. I think that's why I joined the forum, to help me keep sane AND on track! I was doing so well before I took a trip to see my family around Halloween, and I let the Halloween candy do me in. Of course Thanksgiving soon followed, with Christmas and New Year's right behind, along with multiple birthdays since the first of the year (oooh birthday cake is dangerous, especially when you're the baker).

There are four people who know I'm changing to a LC WOL; my husband, two friends, and my grandmother. It has placed me behind a wall to some extent because I just look like a picky eater, or I eat dessert when I shouldn't. But so many people I know set everyone up for failure when they hear about a "diet," I would rather keep it a secret and try to work around the carbs. I did it successfully for 3 months, and then I let my taste buds take advantage of the holiday excuse.

I think that's another reason I have come to the forum -- I need to talk about food issues (be it recipes, hard times, or questions) with people who understand, since my support system is quite narrow.

I am 28, and have been heavier for about 6 years. At 22, for various reasons, I rose from 135ish to 170 within about 4 months. Since then I have fluctuated, first from 170 to 190, then from 173 to 230. My ultimate goal is to maintain between 128 and 135 lbs.

I hope to lose another 30 before August, or (ideally) hit close to my goal (60 lbs to go!). I want to get into some smaller clothes (soon) because I am still wearing the clothes from 40 lbs ago (tentlike linen tops and long skirts -- I can't wait to donate these things!!). In these clothes, no one can tell I have lost a single pound, and I'm not confident enough in my figure at this point to wear anything more revealing. The world will be surprised when I do, though!

Any thoughts or comments would be great; just knowing that someone out there cares means a lot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 20:13
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Welcome! It is hard to change your eating habits when you have a narrow support system. That is why this forum is so great. You will find the people here caring and wonderful.

Even though I haven't done this myself-most people also start a journal. Apparently journal hopping is quite popular and you never know who might drop by. It is also a great place to post what you eat, so that others can kick you in the butt if you need it.

Also, you might want to go to www.fitday.com and set up a free account there. You can put in your foods and it will track your carbs/fat/protein etc for you!

Keep posting and let us all share in your success.

Paleoanth
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Determination

Some people disagree with me, but I think on any diet, Atkins included, one must become a fanatic about wanting to lose weight. Giving in to every temptation that comes by, is an indication that one is not committed enough. The most difficult part of the diet, any diet, is maintenance. If you cannot learn to control yourself on the way down, I don't think you can stay down. The weight will come back. In most cases it does.

I have had metabolic problems since 1977 when I was severely injured. I've maintained for periods of time but always have eventually gained more weight. Getting the weight off is not that difficult if you really want it gone. But we all have to learn new habits as we lose, so that we can keep it off. The Atkins plan is the first one in which I have real confidence that I will know how to maintain my weight permanently.

You must first decide, for yourself, that nothing matters more than losing the weight. Then you must start practicing the principles, from the first day, that will teach you to learn to eat responsibly.

You must decide that you are willing to live with some deprivation. Atkins offers the most satisfying, and simple diet
regimen of any diet I know. But in order to reach your goal you are going to have to learn to eat less food as you go. You must commit to exercise as a way of life.

When you do these things, and see yourself gradually achieving your goal, that must become the most important issue you have regarding food. But losing is easy compared to maintaining.

I suggest you examine your goal, your determination to reach it and be the person you desire to be. And then commit to it completely. Nothing less will work. i don't want to sound negative but it is serious. On the plus side, the Atkins diet it isn't all that difficult if you really want to lose.

As to recipes, I think that if you stick to as natural a menu as you can, you will find the food immensely satisfying.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 23:06
Registered Member

Stats: 211/204/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Unhappy Commitment

Yes, you're right, I do have to be committed in order to be successful at not only losing but maintaining as well.

My OBGYN actually put me on Atkins, initially, because of some hormonal issues (which unfortunately is where the weight problems began). Funny thing is, I have never been a big eater, which is why I found the weight gain so EXTREMELY frustrating. In fact I rarely, if ever, consumed more than 1400 calories a day. But when my doctor and I went over what I ate, it was almost all carbs (pasta, rice, and sweets). Sheesh, I could get really creative with my limited calories if I wanted some Oreos or pancakes that day. Not to mention during all this weight gain I exercised daily for at least 45 minutes (yes, my body is totally out of whack when it comes to carbs).

So, here I am. It becomes more apparent every day that the only good choice for my health is to leave the carbs behind.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 23:43

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Welcome to the forum! This place is really wonderful, people are very caring and understanding, full of support and encouragements! My support system is just 3 people, my boyfriend and my friend and her husband. My friend and her husband went on Atkins a year ago and lost a lot of weight and got me into this WOL.

I don't tell people that I'm on Atkins. I just tell them that I'm watching my sugar (glucose) if they ask me why I'm not eating that piece of cake or why I don't want any baked potato with my steak. It's just easier that way for me because I really don't want to explain the ins and outs of Atkins every time to people who don't want to understand it in the first place. It's really none of their business what I eat or don't eat anyway, right?

With the support and encouragement of the wonderful people here, I'm sure you will lose the rest of the weight this time!

#6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 04:56
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Excellent

Busy Girl I concur with you totally. I had the same problem. I was on the low fat/high carb diets. I could lose weight if I starved, but I couldn't keep it off. I too found that I was hyper-sensitive to carbs. Believe me, once you get into this plan for a while, the weight will melt away. Just hang in there and have patience. It will happen. Exercise is the real key. Once you start to feel better its also easier to get into an exercise regimen and keep it up. I'm glad that you are do determined.

Good Luck!