Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 10:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/175/155
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Sugar Free Chewing Gum?

I work in an office environment where bad breath is to be avoided if you intend to be able to get your coworkers to help you at your desk. I have been chewing EXTRA sugarless gum. It says on the label that there are 2 varbs per stick, but also 2 carbs of sugar alcohols. You can subtract those right? If you can, there would be 0 carbs per stick right?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 10:20
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Some people can subtract and others can't.

You may want to try listerine breath strips. No issue either way then...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 10:24

BF:
Default Can't/Can?

What do you mean that some people can and some people can't? I read in the "rules of induction" (after I posted my question) that you can subtract sugar alcohols. It didn't mention that you needed to qualify it with anything.

What is your information on whether someone can or can't subtract sugar alcohols?

Thanks a bunch
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 10:27
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

This is a major staller for a lot of us (myself included). They use it in most LC bars, candies, and yes sugarless gum.

So, if you are losing - it probably doesn't effect you but if you stall - this should be the first thing you remove from your diet.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 10:28

BF:

Hey Thanks,
That's really good to know. This "stalling" thing that I keep reading about, is it common? Are there some people who don't stall?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 15:10

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
I go in surges. For example, last week I lost 2, the week before .5, before that 4.5, but nothing in the two weeks prior to that. Right now I'm due for a surge since TOM just packed up and left. Hopefully. I did have a short 2 week "pause" after induction. Remember, it's only a stall if you haven't lost any pounds or inches for 4+ weeks. It seems like a long time, but your body will do some amazing redistributing during this time which usually results in inches lost. Keeping the faith is the most important thing to remember during these times. HTH!

I'm fortunate that sugar alcohols do not affect me-- as long as they're consumed in moderation. That's my key.

I am a BIG gum chewer- I think it's something to do with oral fixation. I go through a few packs a week, but nothing like when I quit smoking. Anyhoo, I chew a few varieties of Extra and Carefree Koolerz (lemonade is the best!)- they both have 2g of sugar alcohols that translate into the 2g of carbs.

Testing items out is the only way to know whether you stall or not with these YMMV items.

Best of luck and happy LCing!
Nikki

Last edited by Tiggerdy : Tue, Feb-18-03 at 15:12.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 18:29

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

If you are concerned about sugar alcohols, I recomend Blintz Mints. They are made with Spenda and have .12 carbs each! I have tried the peppermint, cinnamon, orange and lemon. I like them all!

I don't chew gum because I forget that I am chewing it and then I start chewing like a cow!