Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default My First Slip

Hi all,
Well I know I was doing really well with thie WOL, but I came to visit my family in another city, and well, I guess fell off the wagon. I have been to the gym three times since I got here, but ate *bad* stuff yesterday.
Now I don't know what to do to get back to the levels I was at before. Can someone tell me so that I can start rigth away?
I read somewhere that it is a four day process to get back into ketosis.
The guilt is terrible, but I am completely ready to start again. Am afraid to weigh myself because I am afraid I have gained weight.

Encouragement please?
Phanx guys (as my nephew would say)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 09:39

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Just get back on the horse! Ketosis is different for each of us, so there's no telling how your body may shift back into it. Depends on what you ate, etc.

Congratulate yourself for the things you did right. You went to the gym! That's fabulous. Don't let yourself feel guilty for a minor pitfall... or even a major carb binge. There is a learning curve with this and any lifestyle change and we've ALL made mistakes.

So just start over and don't beat yourself up about it. You can get back on track and congratulate yourself for the positive changes you've made and will continue to make.

Best of luck to you!

Angela
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 09:41
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Like Angela said - forget about when ketosis starts the key is to get right back to eating right.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 09:41
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi,

We all slip up sometimes -- we're all human. It looks like you went a long time before your first slip up -- congratulations for that and for all the weight you have lost so far!

What you need to do now depends upon whether or not you are having cravings for more bad carbohydrates. If you are not having cravings, I would just go back to eating the way you were eating before you added the extra carbs. You should be back in ketosis in two or three days after the extra carbs clear out of your system. If you are having cravings and are scared that they will lead to more off-plan eating, you might want to go back to induction for a few days until the cravings are gone.

You're probably right to stay away from the scale for a few days if you think seeing a higher number will bother you. Extra carbohydrates will rapidly add water weight. The water weight should be gone after a few days of low carb eating.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 09:48

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%

Dont beat yourself up too much. Theres a saying that goes something like....."Fall 6 times...stand up 7." Just stay on the path you are on and you are going to do fabulous. This is a learning process, we are bound to make mistakes, its all part of it.

I have heard also that it takes 4 days to get back into ketosis, but for some they can get back there overnight, so I apologize I cant be further help there. Im pretty new to all of this myself.

Stick with it gf, you're doing fine, and best wishes to you!

oh yeah and ur phelcome (in honor of that cute nephew of yours)hehe

#6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks guys,
I will just start today with the water and vitamins, induction menu and work outs.
I guess it's important to remember that it's not all over because of what I ate yesterday. It just felt that way.
OK, let's get on with it then
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:05

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up

Good attitude.

Once you veer of course, just get right back on. This is a way of life, your only human. Life being the key word.

Jump right back onto the low carb WOE and off you go. No need to beat yourself up. You did not gain 30 lbs from slipping up. Just don't stay there in slipville.