Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 01:06
Registered Member

Plan: none in particular
Stats: 206/173/119 Female 5ft8
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default im getting bigger with exercising!! :(

my weight is sorta staying the same and ive ecently started doing sit ups and dumbells. my stomach measurements have increased and my arms have as well.

should i stop doing these? or is it just a temp thing, then my measurements will start shrinking again?

or should i just do aerobic stuff.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 01:32
Pasta is EVIL, EVIL!

Plan: my own variant of Atkins
Stats: 240/217/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:And then some....
Progress: 18%

I am by no means an expert, but do you think it's possible that you're gaining muscle?
Might explain something...?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: none in particular
Stats: 206/173/119 Female 5ft8
BF:
Progress: 38%

i thought that but dont really want it yet if its making my stomach bigger. id rather it got rid of the flab first lol.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 08:48

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default 90#

There are going to be a LOT of changes along the way to your goal. I suspect your circle of friends is barely going to notice any minor increase in "part" size in the light of the larger trend toward much less of you. In the long run, any slight increase in size is more than offset by the gains one gets from being stronger and more fit. Athletes move better, more easily, more gracefully, than emaciated people, and it all comes from muscle.

IMO, it might be better to take the tiny gain now, while you're still a long way from goal. Additional on-going weight loss will more than make up for it within the month. And the more muscle, the more calories burned per day, so you should losing a bit faster as you get stronger, all things being equal (which then never exactly are).

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 16:50

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I'd gladly take bigger arms if it meant that I was gaining awesome fat burning, metabolism sparking muscle!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 19:13
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Ab exercises and dumbbells aren't going to get rid of fat. They will build the muscle under the fat. To lose the fat, you have to burn more energy than you take in. Diet, cardio will do that, but building muscle tissue is important too as it increases the energy you burn.

Don't give up on the exercise, it really is the right thing to do. Give it some time, your diet will get rid of more of the fat and you'll uncover the gorgeous ab muscles you are building now.

BTW, don't get too hung up on the scale as you start an exercise program. Your body gets thrown into a tailspin when you start serious exercising, it holds water, it can gain a little, it's all normal and will reverse itself eventually. Just give it some time.

The goal isn't to see some number on the scale (or BMI number) it's to look and feel your best, even if that's with a BMI of 19-21 instead of 18.1.

Val