Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Why I hate the word "diet"

I work in a hospital environment as a secretary.

Once, a long time ago, I heard a doctor on some TV show say something along these lines:

"One should never look at the word diet as an evil thing. The fact is, everyone, no matter what we eat on a day to day basis, is on a "diet". Be it high fat, low fat, healthy or not, the word "diet" is just that, only a word."

I poo poo'd what he said, never really quite understanding what he meant, though it stuck with me for so many years. You don't tend to think of a really bad way of eating as a "diet", but a "non-diet", perhaps.

Now, back to my line of work.

For every patient we get into the hospital, a "diet" has to be entered into the comupter system. This assures their delivery of the meal trays. Even if the patient is not allowed to eat because of an upcoming surgery, they have to be entered as NPO, meaning nothing by mouth. Even *no food* is a "diet".

Every patient is treated individually, based on their health and illnesses and current circumstances.

All in all, there are about 40 or so "diet" types, ranging from clear liquids, to semi solids, to regular, to ADA, to soft mechanical, etc.

I think what it comes down to is, year after year of "dieting" and getting no where is I gave the word every evil, negative connotation I could muster. I could point at the word "diet", and blame it for everything I felt bad about me.

The Doctor would say, "You need to go on a "diet"" and the Jaws music would key up in the back of my brain. Evil, pure and simple. A sign of my failure in day to day life.

From my anger at myself for becoming out of control in my "diet", to metabolic problems being largely ignored, the word "diet" became my true nemesis.

What changed for me? I had to stop and look at the word in a different way. We are all on a daily "diet", no matter what form of eating we choose.

"Diet" is a word to describe the intake of food. "Diet" is not bad, we all have one, because without one, we would die.

I decided, instead, to look within myself, and to discover why the word invokes such powerful feelings. "Diet" does not punish me, I do that to myself. "Diet" does not reward me, my self discipline does that.

"Diet" for me, especially in the LC sense, has become a new way of life. I simply chose to move from an unhealthy self-prescribed choice of "diet", to a more healthy and rewarding one.

The issues, however, remain my nemesis, the real evil being the guilt and anger, and learning how to forgive and love myself is my reward.

The next time someone asks me if I am on a "diet", I think I might just say simply, "Yes, and so are you!"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 13:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: Why I hate the word "diet"

Quote:
Originally posted by Fantasia
"Diet" is a word to describe the intake of food. "Diet" is not bad, we all have one, because without one, we would die.

Excellent post! I think that most people have come to associate word "diet" with something that you do for a little while to lose excess pounds and then you quit. The fact is, that you never quit eating a diet. The choice of foods that are included in your diet merely change.
It also occurs to me that there are a couple of common uses for the word "diet" today. One is a noun that means your daily food intake. The other is a verb that means to actively try to lose weight or reach a weight loss goal. The problem with the second is that most people see it as temporary; something to be suffered through to reach a desired goal and once you reach it, you can end your suffering and go right back to the way of eating (diet) that got them overweight in the first place.
Many people still haven't gotten the idea that you have to change the way you eat (your daily diet) permanently to avoid regaining the pounds that you are losing.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Fantasia

Again, another awesome post! I agree with you totally. I think that is why so many people on this forum call it a WOL (way of life) or WOE (way of eating) instead. I am also glad that the good Dr. Atkins has written a book addressing the lifestyle after one achieves their gol weight.

I really enjoy reading your posts! They are witty and insightful! Look forward to reading more!

#4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 21:10

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

I totally agree. Great post