Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 09:25

Plan: zone
Stats: 153/144/125
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Errrrr.....What the heck???

I was so excited! As of the 21st, I had lost 9 lbs. Then, all of a sudden this morning, I had put on 4 lbs. for no reason. My workout schedule has not changed, I did not fall off the wagon, I drink more water than I know what to do with EVERYDAY, and it is not TOM!!! What on earth is going on!? This is so discouraging. Thanks for reading the ranting!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:47

Plan: atkins( induction)
Stats: 252/124/115 Female 60in
BF:55%/19%/15%
Progress: 93%

any chance you may have increased your salt consumption? Or may be comming on to your time of the month. It sounds to my like you maybe retaining water. Try cutting your salt out. Good luck And happy lowcarbing SMuffy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:31

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'd say not to trust the scale. They're machines and are often inaccurate. I find variations on the scale every day for a numerous amount of reasons. If you really don't feel you've changed anything, just stick it out and I bet those faux pounds will drop.

Good luck to ya.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 14:02

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Angry

I agree that the scale you use may be defunct....I notice that when I move my digital scale to various parts of the bathroom I can get three different readings! It could be an up in salt/sodium consumption or are you maybe a little "backed up"? All these can add to weight gain.

P.S. I fluctuate 2-3 lbs from day to day.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Hmmmm

This happened to me too. I just kept saying... "But it can't be my TOM!!) WRONG>>> this WOE tends to rearrange your monthly schedule. I'm sure the weight gain is at least part (probably most) water. I've been bloating at all the wrong times and starting early... I've been reading a lot that this is normal... so be prepared!!

Heather
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 10:49
HELP!!!

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/175/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 56%

I agree it can be both the scale and salt intake. I know my scale I weigh myself many times and which ever number comes up 3 times in a row is what I go with as my weight. I know it sounds strange. But I also know that alot of foods that I eat have more salt it them ie I made chicken souo from scrach last night and I belive it had a little too much salt in it. So I am retaining it today. Stacey
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:01

Plan: zone
Stats: 153/144/125
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks so much! Your responses definetly help me stay on track. I think that the evil scale will just have to go unused for awhile, because in all honesty, I have more energy than I have ever had, and feeling great all the time is more of a benefit than weight loss. (It is a nice bonus however! ) Happy Friday everyone!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:10
HELP!!!

BF:

I will also say I am addicted to my scale... I have to weigh my self morning and night ... It keeps me on track. I have done this since august 2001. I had withdrawals when I was in the hospital dec, 2001 when I came home I went right to the scale lol I could bearly walk oh I am nutty.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 17:04

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Yep..get rid of the scale..it means nothing..so why torture yourself?? the whole point of this is to get your body pysically smaller..so who cares what the number is??
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 08:36
HELP!!!

BF:

I can't it keeps me in a 2 pound range. It is my check point.
Stace
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 18:35

Stats: 202/174/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default I do it just like Shoshie!

Yep! Just Like Shoshie...I record the weight that I get three in a row! Even though I do my measurments everyday I also weigh myself everyday too! In a notebook I record

Date
Food Intake
Carb Intake for each food
on the back of the page
Exercise--Daily Activities
Measurements:
Weight
Biceps
Bust
Waist
Fat Roll!
HIps
Thigh
Calf
Neck
Under Breast

For each day I compare my measurements from the day before and from the start of Low Carbing! I only wish that I took my measurements from the Very Begining...I just thought that this was another diet that I would not stick with!

Once I notice and increase or lack of weight loss or inches...I re-evaluate what I have eaten lately...It just keeps me inline!

Good Luck To All
Julie
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 20:10

Stats: 185/164/135
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default TOM issues

I just wanted to say that I find my biggest TOM stall period is usually mid-cycle, not just before my period. You might want to look back over the past few months to compare your weekly weight loss patterns. Maybe this is true for some of you as well...?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 23:58
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Remember this is an up and down WOE...besides hormonal stuff we deal with, and salt one day, calories the next, etc...whatever the reason, the fluctuations are completely normal. You're not gaining FAT, it's not possible that fast!

Your progress when you finally reach your goal will look like an EKG chart! But in the longrun, you'll see an overal downward trend. Up two, down one, up three, down 2, etc...don't sweat it! We've all been there, got freaked out, then had a "whoosh" and felt better.

You will too!