Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 21:08

Plan: induction
Stats: 130/125/115
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Confused On Induction

Hello my name is Jennifer and I have started atkins 5 days ago. It seems I have lost weight but have to say this diet can get confusing. They say you can eat mayonaise well that has sugar in it and so does cream cheese. Now today I was on the road so I didnt eat much except a slim jim which i thought i could eat due to being a meat but now i learn it has corn syrup in it. and i shouldnt. Tonight I was starving by time I got home so I picked up chicken wings no bread but had it said 4 grams of sugar serving size 1 cup..So please someone tell me for my first week am I not to have any sugar in ingredients should it read 0 sugars? Then I was reading about what people say about this diet and how when ingredients say 0 carbs but has 9 something fat that that is -1 carb..Getting frustrated can someone help me understand this sugar content on this diet...pleaseeeee..Thanks, Jennifer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 21:28

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Jennifer,

do you have the book?

You have to eat more simple food that take a bit of planning.

Check up this site

Pene

http://www7.addr.com/~atkinsdi/table.html
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 22:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi there Jennifer. It takes a while to learn all the rules and changes in your diet. Don't panic.

It is best to eat simply and prepare as many meals from scratch as possible. Most prepared foods and packaged foods have carbs added, often sugars. So plain grilled, roasted, fried meats & fish & poultry is preferable to any kind of deli meat or 'already cooked' foods. Fresh or frozen vegetables are easy and quick to make and you can put butter and cheese on them too.

Mayonnaise is much better than "salad dressing of the Miracle Whip type", but it too will contain some sugar. Look at the labels and choose foods which have good LC ingredients up front: oil, egg - and sugar should be way down the list. By the way, using olive oil & vinegar on your salads means you will be really perfect.

A manufacturer is allowed to say that something has Zero carbs IF the amount is less than 1 carb per serving. The serving may be 1 teaspoon and the actual carb count could be 0.9 grm per serving, but it can still say zero. So read the label and see how many 'real foods' are in the list before the sugars & starches start.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 21:10
Registered Member

Stats: 188/165/135
BF:
Progress: 43%

Kraft real mayo has 0 carb and 0 sugar I started useing that instead of Miracle Whip It took a little getting used to but it is not bad tastes great in tuna.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 01:01
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Sometimes a product like cream cheese has "sugars" in it because of the natural sugars it contains like lactose...doesn't mean the nasty white granules are added to it, just that it has it's own natural content. Read your labels carefully to see that the ingredients don't say "sugar" primarily.

Same thing with fruits...lots of natural sugar...high in carbs some of them.

You'll be fine with meats, eggs, cheese, veggies, water, water and water... until you get really used to things. Then it all gets MUCH easier!!

#6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 03:27
Registered Member

Plan: Anything that works
Stats: 184/150/117
BF:45%/40%/15%
Progress: 51%
Default Mayo and Cream Chees

Yes they have sugars in them, but if you check the levels for the whole jar you will find that for a teaspoon of it on your salad, it is quite low really. Lower than some of the other salad dressings anyway. Also depends on some of the brands. You need to compare labels of different brands and find the one with the lowest carbs. Cream Cheese is probably the same but I never had that on Induction. Even cream is allowed etc but there is a limit on cream and cheese anyway on the diet. So for the quantity that your allowed, the sugars and carbs would be low.

For a day or two count the carb grams in the foods and the sugars and keep them within the allowance. Also splenda has carb (low but nevertheless there) and that can chip into your allowance. Basically in Induction you are best to literally only eat what it states and follow it to the dot. That way you cannot make any mistakes.

Cheers

Anne-Marie