Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 21:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%
Default Whats the skinny on FIBER?

So we all know sugar alcohol is debatable with regards to effects on blood sugar, but as far as fiber, is it 100% accepted that it has no effect on blood sugar, or are there also different schools of thought on fiber as well?

Yossi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 07:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I have no negative effects from incorporating more fiber dense carbs in my woe. Quite the opposite, I find it helps me to stay regular and I lose well when I choose veggies that are more fiber dense. I periodically have flaxomeal hot cereal - which contains alot of fiber... and it does not impact my weight loss. I can only speak to my experience.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 07:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

No, Yossi, you can believe the info on fiber It's a carbohydrate that is non digestible by the human GI tract. Both soluble and insoluble fiber pass right through the body and do not negatively effect insulin levles, in fact, quite the opposite. Fiber slows the absorption of food and how quickly it empties from the stomach which is very much desired.

Just remember if you're taking a fiber supplement, such as psyllium or flaxseed, to take an extra glass of water with it and not to take it with supplements (take the supplements 1 1/2 to 2 hours before or after it).

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 21:22

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

So Nat,

would you suggest adding a wee bit of fiber everyday?

thanks!
M-
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 11:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I'm not Nat , but yes. The surgeon general and most health organizations recommend 20-35 g per day! That's a lot! On my typical day, even with a lot of veggies, I'm lucky if I make 9 or 10 g! (That's food only, no fiber suppliment.)

Another caution, though, is that if you're not used to a high fiber diet, increase it slowly over several weeks. A sudden increase in fiber can cause constipation, bloating, etc. Your intestines need a bit of time to adjust.