Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/123/120
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Low Carb Fried Chicken?

My husband said he had fried chicken yesterday with the thinnest "crust" possible-almost like the fried it with no breading (but I'm guessing there was breading). Is there anyway this was low carb? Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 08:20

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Betty, I live in the South and giving up fried chicken and biscuits was one of the hardest things for me! I haven't figured out low carb biscuits yet, but I have found a couple of ways to make fried chicken:

For a thin breading you can dredge the chicken in Atkins bake mix (if you don't have it, there is a bake mix recipe on this site as well) instead of flour. Or, if you like a crunchier coating, there's a great fried chicken recipe in the Eades' new cookbook "Low Carb Comfort Food." You have to make their roll recipe first, dry out the rolls and crush them in the food processor. Then coat the chicken with the bread crumbs. I tried it last week and it was wonderful. Only 3 carbs per half breast of chicken.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 08:24

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Pork rinds

I havent tried it but I have heard that crushed pork rinds are great for a crispy coating on pork and chicken.

Akiwican
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 10:35

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Ranch fried chicken

I fry up chunks of boneless breast in butter. When they are basically done, I lightly sprinkle some ranch dressing mix over the chicken and cook until it's crispy. The whole envelope has sixteen grams of carb in it and if you add it add the end, you can stretch it to cover about 8 nice sized breasts. Lots of flavor, a little crunch, and the ranch-butter combo is out of this world!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 19:54

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I tried chicken with the Atkins Bake mix before and I didn't like it. I couldn't get over the soy taste.

However, I have made fried chicken with the Atkin's Pancake mix. (made with hi-maize instead of soy.) It was GOOD! I added seasonings, salt and pepper. It had a sweet butermilk"y" and seasoned taste. I also did it once with the Pleasantville cookie companies bake mixed. This was sweeter but I liked the nuttiness of the coating.

Both times I used boneless chicken breast and had good results.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 21:54

Stats: 247/230/170
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Try this

Just made some fried chicken the other day. Crushed regular pork rinds in a plastic bag, removing any pieces that were extra hard. Dipped the chicken in egg and then shook in the bag to cover with pork rinds. The family sure was surprised when I told them what the coating was. Of course, I waited until after they said how good it tasted.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Popeye's chicken has HEAVY breading and their carb counts per piece (available on the web) are pretty high. If I remember correctly, a thigh has about 11 carbs - mostly from the breading.

I figure a thin coating would be a third of that, so figure 4 per thigh. If you are being really strict, the white flour breading is NOT low-carbing in its best and purest form. However, if you count the carbs, an occasional indulgence is possible. If you find that the coating raises your blood sugar or causes a stall, stop eating it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:40

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi,
I'm sure I read in the kitchen forum about a recipe where chicken is marinated in egg, mixed with cream and spices then rolled in finely grated parmesan cheese then fried.
Alot of thumbs up for this one.
Ali
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:08

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Shicken...

My fired chicken is great! I put 3 pachages of pork rinds through my food processor until bread crumb consistency, season them just as I always would (garlic, onion, black pepper) , dredge my chicken in beaten agg and coat thoroughly with pork rind mixture. I fry in olive oil and butter. YUM! Even my non-LCer loves it.

But to answer the original question...it's possible that it wasn't full on carbs, but who knows for sure.

P.S. I've also coated chiken with parmesean cheese and baked it.

Donald
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 22:19

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Ok, now after reading these post i am going to have to try the pork rind thing. I have known about it but couldn't bring myself to do it. Once I do, probably this weekend, i will let you all know what I think!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 22:33

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

Fried chciken coated in cheese and porkrinds and fried in oil and butter.....gotta try this. What more could I want? Every diet I have ever done, I missed fried chicken so badly