Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/123/105
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default I am so tired!

I am on on my 4th day of induction, and everything had been going OK. I stopped craving sweets and carbs on the 2nd day, lost 4 lbs (ok, could be water weight, but still!), and yesterday I noticed a funny taste in my mouth and smell in my urine. But today... today I have no energy at all! My alarm couldn't wake me up, and I have been literally dragging throughout the day. Why am I so tired? Does it get any better soon? I never really drink coffee, but I am so tired that if this continues I don't think I can continue to work efficiently.... what can I do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 16:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 165/165/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I've heard of that . . .

I am new to the low carbing/Atkins so I am no expert, but this is my second go at it.

Years ago my daughter went on it with me and at that time she was 17 and tiny like you, but wanted to get a few pounds off before prom. She is an athlete and played sports in high school. During a basketball game she was literally wasted and could not even play because she was so tired and weak. (normally she is quite the firecracker and full of energy) When her coach found out she was on Atkins, she had a fit! She said that it wastes your muscle strength away and caused extreme fatigue. I guess it passes, but she got off it right there and then.

I never stuck to it before, and I am only on day 2, so maybe in a couple more days I will be tired and spent too! I hope you are Ok. Let us know how it goes.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 17:00

Stats: 187/176/120
BF:
Progress: 16%
Post I'm no expert, but.......

Hello there!
What I believe you are experiencing is Ketosis, as far as the bad breath and smell in the urine. I don't know the science behind it (my dh distills all the scientific stuff for me and gives it to me in the 'easy reader' format .
The tiredness does pass. I don't know how or why, but about the 6th day I was up and perking again. I've done Atkins off and on for about a year and everytime I 'start over', this same pattern happens to me.
So, hang in there! You CAN do this......just go to bed earlier and take it easy for the next couple of days.....then you'll have LOADS of energy!
HTH,
MAV
Attached Images
File Type: gif sfwreat.gif (9.5 KB, 1 views)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 17:13

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Runnerlady,

So far what you are experiencing is perfectly normal You should start getting your energy back about day 5 or 6. If that doesn't happen, then add in a few more than the 20gr of carbs by having extra veggies...say up to 25.

Atkins suggests this for those people who are fatigued...usually they are losing weight too fast if you are active then this may be the case for you.

See how you feel in a day or two and if you don't improve add in the extra carbs

Lesley
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 17:58

Stats: 211/201/150
BF:
Progress: 16%
Smile too much energy!

I'm on day 5 and I have so much energy it scared me at first. My daughter went back to school today, so I was up earlier than I wanted to be. I shoveled the driveway and sidewalk (it snowed 4 more inches since then!), did 2 hours of work (I work at home), vacuumed the house, cleaned the bathrooms (I'm talking scrubbing the tub and showers, too), walked two miles on the treadmill, did 3 loads of laundry, spent too much time on-line and made dinner. I almost forgot to eat lunch. Apparently my appetite left with my tiredness. I can hardly wait to see what I do tomorrow. If I keep this up, my husband is going to think I hired a maid!

So hang in there, I'm sure your burst of energy is coming soon. I thought the book was kidding!

Moira
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:23

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I agree with Lesley and just want to be sure you are in fact eating at least 20 grams of carbs a day??!!
I once tried cutting them completly and could hardly get out of bed. I felt like Id pass out too and my efforts lasted less than a week (thank goodness), its low carbs not no carbs remember.
You dont have much to lose and if you have high energy requirments you may well need many more than induction levels
Good luck and let us know how your feeling again soon
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:27
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You can also supplement with potassium. You probably feel yucky with all the potassium washed out of you from the initial water weight loss. You can buy potassium supplements or you can buy a salt substitute like Nu-Salt and use it on your food.

For muscle aches and soreness, you need a calcium/magnesium supplement 2:1 ratio.

You'll be feeling great in no time.

Beth